• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs a nerf

Throw the enemy loadput over board and you immediately have unique weapons. If the mapper was to choose which weapons to be used as could have special occasions. Imagine a prison break scenario. Both teams with identical load outs as the out breakers have armed themselves in the prison armory.
Currently this does not work.

Upvote 0
Doesn't need a nerf. Get better.

Funny, I remember folks using wallhacks in CS:S saying something similar :D

Honestly, just nerf MG hipfire accuracy and be done with it.

No need to beat the same dead horses over class-loadouts and or historical accuracy.
It's a game, not a simulator, and balance is a more integral part of it's design than everyone's subjective view on what did or did not happen 70 years ago.

Throw the enemy loadput over board and you immediately have unique weapons. If the mapper was to choose which weapons to be used as could have special occasions. Imagine a prison break scenario. Both teams with identical load outs as the out breakers have armed themselves in the prison armory.
Currently this does not work.

Pretty sure the ratio of 'prisons' to concentration/death-camps in WW2 was rather dismal....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course the quick draw option for the mg42 (for all mgs) should be fixed, preferably with the right mouse click to hipfire as it was in ro1.

This would fix all the current problems with it, and those problems are indeed grave, as it is currently the no 1 assault weapon choice in the game. In close combat it is unmatched since you can draw and fire it faster than any smg in the game, which of course it shouldn't be.

Upvote 0
Of course the quick draw option for the mg42 (for all mgs) should be fixed, preferably with the right mouse click to hipfire as it was in ro1.

This would fix all the current problems with it, and those problems are indeed grave, as it is currently the no 1 assault weapon choice in the game. In close combat it is unmatched since you can draw and fire it faster than any smg in the game, which of course it shouldn't be.

Be assured, people would still whine about it. If I was an MGer, I would carry the gun around in hipfire mode as soon as I enter a building. There is not a real change to what we have now. Maybe you walk slower because it's "iron sights" mode but you can still gun down all you want. :)

Upvote 0
Used the MG42 for the first time yesterday on the UBB server.

Think I played for about 1.5 hours. Ended up with 300+ kills. Got the weapon to Level 25 in a couple of rounds...it's an absolute monster.

The server did have lots of bots though, and most of the time the map was Bridges, so I was cutting down swathes of idiots bots marching straight out into the open. And it was Realism mode with zoom, so bloody easy anyway :p

Still, I was surprised how effective it was. Low recoil and huge RoF means it's fantastic for taking down multiple targets. with the MG34/DP28, I always feel like even if I catch a group of soldiers in the open, I'm still lucky to hit more than one of them.

Upvote 0
Never understood the whole "Hipfire cry babies"

I've never had problems getting 'Rambo'd' As you guys call it, by MG'ers. Never. I am always quicker to take any MGer down, (even with bolt actions- Yeah.) who's just running around. It's not an effective weapon in hipfire or while running around. It's not a SMG, not even close, IMO. I've never had great luck using it, it seems like a spray and pray, even if you use the center of your screen to aim and crouch, without moving. I can't stand not using ironsights, feels like it takes a minute to hit anything. Screw that.

Also, I've found out to 100m, the Pistols are WAY more effective than hipfiring the MG, for killing enemies. At least for me.

No issues. Never had these 'Rambo' issues, with MG's like so many people claim for all these months. I think they're just being careless. The only time MG's have been effective against me, is when they're deployed, and being used properly.

If you're quick, and have good aim, you can face to face a 'Rambo-ing' MG and kill them before they kill you, with any gun, in the game. I cut down people running around, fast. You're an easy target. That's why I never have issues going against MG's.

In RO2, un-deployed MG's are the least of my worries. Whether it's a DP an MG34 or an MG42, it doesn't matter. They dont give me trouble, until they're deployed down range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh such a great logic.
" there is no problem with MG42 because soviet PPSh can also perform very good "

You just have no idea what you are talking about.

In ro2 Light machineguns are just AS comfortable in hipfiring as any other weapon. With NO DIFFERENCE.

You can do this experiment by yourself. Go to workshop, select random map, choose russian with PPSh, german with MP40, shoot walls, walk, hipfire.

Just remember how its like to walk and hipfire with an SMG.

Then take german Mg42 or mg34 and do the same thing - walk and hipfire at walls.

You will see NO God damn difference.

This weapon is 2-3 times heavier, its hell uncomfortable, its LONG, its 250rnd belt is long and goes together with your legs, But that all is just not simulated. Its just as comfortable to hipfire as <5 KG SMG with pistol round.

This is the problem. The only reason why there are unrealistic rambos flying in houses with small rooms with Big and heavy machinegun with 250rnd belt in his legs, is that this thing performs just as good as small and comfortable SMGs with 2-3 times less weight, without belt.

It's not simulated in game that 250rnd belt would jamm all the time if you run in houses like rambo, its not simulated that in small rooms with tonns of things, your heavy and long MG will just touch everything, its not simulated that when you walk with MG, you dont have it pointed forward all the time because your hands will become very tired very soon. You can actually see from 3rd that MG is handled in different way than in 1st, when you just walk with MG character walks like he is not going to shoot it just 1 second later, although in 1st your MG is always ready to spray and you can do that at any moment.

Upvote 0