• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs a nerf

Yeah ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llEWrL9ghyg

Btw - LOOK!!! O_O HE IS HIP FIRING HIS MG!!! THATS IMPOSSIBRU!
You are comparing apples to oranges.

The MK-48 with 100 Rounds weighs what an MK-42 weighs EMPTY. The MK-48 has a rate of fire of about 710 rpm as opposed to the MG-42's aprox 1200 rounds per minute. The MK-48 fires a 7.62 x 51mm NATO round. The MG-42 fires a 7.92x57mm Mauser.

Upvote 0
Suppression in general should be more severe. It's kinda funny that a nade that goes off next to you, with only a wall between you and it should suppress you much more than it does now.
Even bolt action fire should do much more. You basically **** your pants all the time when coming under fire. Of course Hollywood tells a different story ...

Upvote 0
The only thing that could be done is the moving speed. The MG weighs around 10-12kg not loaded, a drum mag weighs around 1-2kg, a belt might even go for 3-4kg, so you are running around with about 20kg payload. But changing the hip fire ability is uncalled for.
People hate MGs in general. I remember that people wanted "bolts to rule the day" in the beginning of RO2. If you spray and pray into a house and go on to clean rooms with your SMG or AR and then there is one pesky MGer who dares to vaporize you, the MG is instantly overpowered. That the folks you just gunned down could say the same about your SMG would never come to your mind.

I remember Red God of War from RO mod and later on Ost. 4 MG slots for Axis and 8 SMG for Allies.
People never complained and those who did received a donkey hat from the community.
It was absolutely clear that running cross country gets you plastered with rounds. Hip shooting the MG42 was not possible in former installments but the MG34 and DP28 were. I wasted hundreds of Germans and Soviets on maps like Danzig and Krasni in hip firing mode. Yes, you need to get the MG ready for assault fire but it was excellent for cleaning corridors as the iron storm thrown at the enemy nearly never missed it's target. The bullet spray due to the uncontrollable recoil allowed for near 100% covering of the corridor. An SMG could not perform that bullet storm. And remember, you had to go prone for reloading, no crouch reload and still you kicked butt.

If you cannot face the MG42 do NOT play as Allies, go Axis only or play Rising Storm as there is no MG42. Not to worry, the Japanese LMGs and the American .30cal are good for hipshooting too. You cannot escape them. ;)
There you can also complain about the large amount of automatic weapons on the American team and the Flamethrower.
And a small hint, the Japanese LMGs have bayonets and scopes, the Germans do not. ;)

Upvote 0
If you cannot face the MG42 do NOT play as Allies, go Axis only or play Rising Storm as there is no MG42

let me guess you nearly always play German ?

it's like your ealier real life argument
they can hip fire in real life well lets follow that real life tread in which case the allies should win all the time as in RL they won the war so do we give the allies more to make sure they win like they did in real life.

This isn't RL its a game & games need balance one way or another and the hip firing of all mg's but especially the German ones of which there are more need to be stop from being used as something they're not SMG's - with overlarge mags and penetration

how this is done - there have been a number of possible solutions I hope TWI takes one of these up, the fact this discussion is still going this long into the game time says something needs to be done

Upvote 0
The only thing that could be done is the moving speed. The MG weighs around 10-12kg not loaded, a drum mag weighs around 1-2kg, a belt might even go for 3-4kg, so you are running around with about 20kg payload. But changing the hip fire ability is uncalled for.

You already go to walk speed (slower than default jogging speed, way slower than sprint) when hip firing. I don't think that is the issue. You also get fatigued faster when sprinting and carrying an mg.

I think all that is needed is that extra click (and time delay) to bring up the mg to firing position and you hold that position when walking UNTIL you reload or go back to jogging/sprinting. Then you relax your carrying stance and will again need that extra click (and time delay) to go back to hip firing...

Upvote 0
there is no more good weapons in German Forces,
G41 is MUCH lower than SVT-40(number of ammo, approach to reload)
MP40 is lower than PPS-42(espcially in fire rate)
These soviet weapons are more effactive than several strongful MG42 in German and they are great more than MG42, so why nerf it?

But the Axis get to use the SVT-40 and the PPSH41; while the Allies don't get the MG42. That's a fundamental problem.

If you cannot face the MG42 do NOT play as Allies

Congratulations. You have just perfectly described the Axis stacking nature of the gun. Get a clue please.

Upvote 0
You already go to walk speed (slower than default jogging speed, way slower than sprint) when hip firing. I don't think that is the issue. You also get fatigued faster when sprinting and carrying an mg.

I think all that is needed is that extra click (and time delay) to bring up the mg to firing position and you hold that position when walking UNTIL you reload or go back to jogging/sprinting. Then you relax your carrying stance and will again need that extra click (and time delay) to go back to hip firing...

This would be my preferred method of stopping rambo'ing too mo

lets hope TWI think like we do - there's often been talk of them doing something - think even Yoshiro hinted that something might be done

Upvote 0
My main problem is that on many servers it goes like this:

Server is halfway balanced with 30 players. More players start to join. No big problem on most maps.
One veteran player gets hold of MG42 on a map like pavlovs house, Winterwald or bridges.
Russians get shot like crazy. Some players leave, others switch to the germans. New players have to go to the russians or go there because more spots are open. Huge fluctuation, desertation and veterans leaving=russian teamplay suffers.
From there on its just an endless circle of russians getting farmed by a few good mg42 guys and their team leeches getting kills against disorganised low level russians. Even if maps like Rakovice come it still doesnt matter much because the best players will already be in the german team. Only Appartments can break the cycle.

For everyone saying mg 42 aint good:
1. Its the only weapon in the game which allows to kill several running people from the side 100% of the time. Others just dont shoot fast enough.
2. It shoots through walls (Pavlovs house C it actually penetrates multiple walls)
3. It is the easiest weapon for hip shooting and the weapon spray guarantees that you hit even if you are slightly off in the beginning.
4. Suppression makes enemy shots a game of luck close quarters.
5. It is legitimatly terrifying to hear and be shot by. No other mg has that effect on me at least. So yeah. I hate the weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
let me guess you nearly always play German ?

When playing on 40-1 I choose the weaker team, mostly Allies. I personally regard it as a challenge to lead seasoned warriors and newcomers who are willing to follow a good leader. However the best leader can not turn the tides and make a miserably performing team who is all about run and gun become victorious.

When growing tired of being constantly helping out immature players I do switch to Axis and I stay there for the rest of my gaming session. I am not responsible for immature, impatient people rushing wave after wave into German MG fire.

it's like your ealier real life argument
they can hip fire in real life well lets follow that real life tread in which case the allies should win all the time as in RL they won the war so do we give the allies more to make sure they win like they did in real life.

As a matter of fact I am totally in favor to give Allies more reinforcements, give them more SMG slots, that would indeed be realistic.
About Allies winning, as you noticed this campaign is dynamic and allows a change in history.
Again as I mentioned before, equip the Allies with more SMG slots, let's say at least 3-4 more per map.

And now comes the true hammer: If these extra SMGs fall into the Germans' hands, the MG42 and the Axis stack will be responsible for these weapons being lost to the enemy.

This isn't RL its a game & games need balance one way or another and the hip firing of all mg's but especially the German ones of which there are more need to be stop from being used as something they're not SMG's - with overlarge mags and penetration

By playing RO2/RS you accepted you are playing a realism shooter. Not a simulator but a realism shooter. An arcade game like CoD is still not balanced as veterans have the powerful equipment and newcomers do not have the high class kill streaks and punching weapons. They even started giving the rage quitters a hand by giving you a death strike so you can use it to take revenge. I doubt that this would be a good idea.

As I mentioned above, a realism game, meaning that weapons should be used accordingly. Arcade games like CoD allow StG44 on maps set in 1941 and 1942. :rolleyes:
Meaning it is a realism game allows for the Allies fielding more SMGs than the Germans do. Question is however, will Allied players be satisfied that they can now field 3-4 extra SMGs?
I doubt it. People would keep on whining about the MG42, despite having 4 extra PPShs.

May I remind you folks of Ostfront and the mod days? The MG42 was there, you could not hipfire it. But as I mentioned before, already the MG34 and the DP28 are excellent for clearing rooms.

But the Axis get to use the SVT-40 and the PPSH41; while the Allies don't get the MG42. That's a fundamental problem.

I already said, no enemy loadouts or even better having the mapper decide which weapons to be used. Back in RO mod and RO Ost there were maps that allowed Germans access to the SVT40 and the PPSh but I can not remember this whining about the absence of the MG34 or MG42 in the Allied weapon selection.

Congratulations. You have just perfectly described the Axis stacking nature of the gun. Get a clue please.

Ah, so you have given up on the challenge of facing the MG42? :rolleyes:

I still am up for the challenge every time I jump onto the server and join Allies to bolster morale and combat spirit.
Until I grow tired of those super pro's telling me to stfu and let them run and gun. A lot of newcomers are just the same. Call me a lamer but I grow very bored with my team doing nothing but running from the spawn into enemy fire, all this looping for 2-3h.
It doesn't matter what gun they are running at, they are still wasting tickets and make me lose the game.

Those players who do not rage quit after being slaughtered like 5-10 times for abundant stupidity like running in the streets, running cross country, looking out of a window for too long or advancing without smoke cover, they either keep getting slaughtered OR they switch to Axis.

Please do not blame the weapon for the weak and immature player base we have to content with nowadays.
It's like blaming you for the drunken person driving by in his car and having an accident whilst you just walked by on the pavement. Quite unfair, no?

Upvote 0
Yeah, they are.

It's been proven, with proper stance you can efficiently hit targets out to 75meters, IRL with an MG42, being hip fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B57dW3A-DT0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B57dW3A-DT0

Ohh god when are you guys gonna give up? Its already been stated it could be done but that doesnt mean they are meant too.

Even in modern times a CO catches a machine gunner doing that and he gets a nice butt kick. Yet again yahoo nazi videos of "proof" dont count.

Its like when the guy with fake russian accent named KgB was wielding dual glock 18s and firing in the woods with incendiary ammo. Could it be done yes, is it realistic no? Micheal Bay impressionable crap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ohh god when are you guys gonna give up? Its already been stated it could be done but that doesnt mean they are meant too.

Even in modern times a CO catches a machine gunner doing that and he gets a nice butt kick. Yet again yahoo nazi videos of "proof" dont count.

Its like when the guy with fake russian accent named KgB was wielding dual glock 18s and firing in the woods with incendiary ammo. Could it be done yes, is it realistic no? Micheal Bay impressionable crap.

Damn my dawg! Had a rough day, I guess. :D

I doubt the reenactors are neonazis, but I know you have this strange belief that between 1933-45 there were no Germans in existence, just the Nazi people who vanished by the end of '45 and the long lost people called Germans was suddenly there again. Magic? Yes, it's Disney! :D

So if someone runs around and hipfires with a DP28 as a Soviet everything's cool for you, because he does not fire at you and he is wasting the 3vil Nazis, correct? :p

Upvote 0

FPS Russia? :)

Upvote 0
Pretty interesting towards the end.

YouTube - Russian Sg-43 vs. German Mg-42

According to a few lost references, German MG42ers were trained to hip and shoulder fire, in the event it was required. Like they had "cannot prone here" and "cannot deploy here" popping up all the time when terrain or any rest wasn't available, like when walking through deep snow...

Upvote 0

Dude, Germans were trained to hipfire. Backoff. Stop crying. The guns were designed to perform that way, in certain situations.

Does that mean it's ideal and 100% effective 100% of the time? No, obviously not, but that doesn't strengthen your point at all. They WERE meant to hip fire. The guns were designed with it in mind, as a tactic. Obviously, there are more efficient ways to use an MG, that doesn't mean it wasn't 'meant' to do it, or that it was improbable that it was useful.

The TRAINING was there. The ACTUAL USE was there, IRL. So what's your point again?

Your examples of modern CO's and some dude making a video hold no weight, to me. I'm not even sure how your second example is even relevant at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I rarely agree with anything Zakarro says, but this time is an exception. That youtube is so ludicrous and without any credibility or combat usefulness its hardly worth commenting on (yet it gets posted countless times as definitive proof 'cause its on teh internets). I could produce a video of me hip- shooting any number of my weapons and say they were accurate out to 1000 meters. Especially if I never show you the results of what I'm firing at. I guess we just have to take the youtuber's word for it...

And wtf is that MG'er doing within 70yards (65m) of the enemy (not to mention standing in the broad-*** open waiting to take a bullet from someone on his flank). And if he turns while firing the momentum would either a) throw him off balance and make him fall down or b) swing too far an possibly take out his own troops. Were he to stop (and indeed every time he stops firing) he'd have to "re-aquire" his point of impact. But... Oh, wait....yeah, I keep forgetting, hip firing any weapon is just as accurate as shoulder fired prone.....

Upvote 0
For Zak:

12516628792_SPLASH.jpg

Coming soon: Nazi Gas Grenades... for Axis use only.

Upvote 0