• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs a nerf

I just never minded that because it was my understanding that only some PPSH's were made with fire selectors.

To my knowledge, all PPSH41's had fire selects, that's the way it was tooled, it can't be simply omitted or removed from the assembly and still have a working gun.

Unfortunately the PPS43 was thought to be a "late model PPSH", hence the general confusion. How else was the PPS to cut down on parts/labor/mat'l? Umm... same way the MG42 did compared to the MG34.

Upvote 0
OK, to counter,
-mkb shouldn't be in the game but isn't overpowered, (I kill them all the time)
-MG -42 is realistic and the operator can be killed with one well aimed shot.
-stardard at ammo couldn't hurt the T-34, the German anti tank unit needs to be able hurt the Russian tank.
-hehehehehe Panzer 3 vs T-70 lol
-it's 35 rounds, and still more effective.
-MP40/II is hardly op, the same level ppsh is better in everyway.
-it was historically acurate, plus flamethrower runs out fuel quickly and has limited range, B.A.R. is somewhat questionable but hardly op. Knee mortar gets a rifle.
-I agree flamethrower is hardly op and the knee mortar is pretty scary even with the nerf, ever fought someone who is REALLY good with it, it's terrifying
-Hardly any were it would be accurate
-I thought there was an issue with class selection were you need to have the same number of classes or something. I don't remember what it was but I remember making sence.
- no it isn't, when used right, it is incredably useful.
- it doesn't need one, plenty of other guns have no upgrades either, so what?
- type 14 is actually excellent in game, ever use it?
So really, RO2 is generally balanced (except for a few maps) when there is no axis teamstack, but I doubt there is anything Tripwire can do about it though.
)
-MKB is WAAAAY better overall as a gun than any standard russian assault (it only fails when Russians get in close) since really close, yes, the PPSH is a monster
-yes, but why can't the allies get a dismounted DT-26?
-but thats an addon and there still is the panzer 4 (ever tried killin a panzer 4 at range as Russian?)
-why needlessly nerf the PPSH 41? it's historic with the drum mag because thats how it was issued. saying that's okay would be like making the Garand an unlock for balance sake. also, it was standard select fire.
-yep, I agree. but historically the russians were better in SMG's
-you're saying a 70 pound flamer who spawns on squad leader and runs as fast with another gun added is accurate? (plus it can shoot indoors with no operator damage?
-why not add a flamer class with a carbine in defense?
-defensive flamer still kinda kills that. plus american spray and pray is a big problem
-It's a main weapon, I just feel a harder hitting bolt gun would be nice. the type 38 should drop a person with a shot still, but it doesn't always. It was historically under-powered, but not THAT under-powered. It's like a super .223 round
-Type 14 is nice, but it still needs 2 or 3 to kill. the .45 is a *blap* you're dead *blap* you're dead kinda gun

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To my knowledge, all PPSH41's had fire selects, that's the way it was tooled, it can't be simply omitted or removed from the assembly and still have a working gun.

Unfortunately the PPS43 was thought to be a "late model PPSH", hence the general confusion. How else was the PPS to cut down on parts/labor/mat'l? Umm... same way the MG42 did compared to the MG34.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that only the later models were made with fire selectors (or maybe the earlier ones?)
But I can't find it now.

Also
-It's a main weapon, I just feel a harder hitting bolt gun would be nice. the type 38 should drop a person with a shot still, but it doesn't always. It was historically under-powered, but not THAT under-powered. It's like a super .223 round
-Type 14 is nice, but it still needs 2 or 3 to kill. the .45 is a *blap* you're dead *blap* you're dead kinda gun
The Type 38 should kill any time the Type 99 would have. If you hit vitals it is always a ohk. If you don't hit vitals it only does 5 damage less.
And I looooove the Type 14. I have much more success with it than the 1911. Also the 1911 should only ohk if it hits heart/head/nuts/neck (as should the Type 14). Otherwise it should take at least two shots.

Upvote 0
I seem to remember reading somewhere that only the later models were made with fire selectors (or maybe the earlier ones?)
But I can't find it now.

Early PPSh41 were made with fire selectors. It was the late versions which did not have it.

Also you are correct about the damage stats. 105 damage is always a one-shot kill, unless you hit a limb - at which point either 105 or 115 damage won't make any difference. Same story with M1911 - 65 damage is still a two-hit kill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PPSh-41 is a select-fire weapon, with fire selector switch located inside the trigger guard, ahead of trigger. Always.

Anywhere you may read "There was no selector lever on some of the late models, when the gun was capable of only automatic fire", 100% sure is referring to the PPS42/43.

I have never seen a picture of a PPSH without the fire selector. Recently, some PPSH's have been converted to SBRs, and the fire selector removed. But they were never made without it.

Hmm... I wonder if I can get a SBR MG-42? Probably not in California :(

Upvote 0
Funny, I haven't been able to find any source material to verify that post.

Well then, pictures of said "type 3" will probably be PPS43's with an added fixed wooden stock, so could only take stick mags. All Papashaws have funiture under the reciever, and the ubiquitious fire selector.

Plus, as noted in that post (if indeed correct), type 3's were produced in limited numbers late 1944, (during the invasion of Germany). I haven't seen a single map for that time period.

Seems odd that TWI would choose a rare varient as the common Soviet SMG. Of course, they did make the MKb42 their poster child, complete with scope and bayonet. Again, the whole leveling issue.

In reality, any MG42's in Stalingrad would have had the slab style charging handle. But most ppl identify it with the verticle lever, so there it is. It's in game as is. Same with the PPSh.

Upvote 0
Funny, I haven't been able to find any source material to verify that post.

Yes I cannot find any further information about it either, maybe the original poster can provide some references should he come across this post.

It's possible if the weapon was real it'd be about as rare as the MkB42, and even less likely to be in Stalingrad seeing as it was only produced in '44 ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0