• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small ammount of players

Dont know if this has been mentioned but I think another thing you have to consider is there is still alot of people that bought the game on release like myself and have yet to even play it because the game wont start.

Not saying that is alot of people, but I think we would be surprised if we posted a poll asking for the number of folks that cant start the game or crash or freezes on start.
Me I get to the menu and the game freezes, before i got to the splash screen and that was it, so TWi must be doing something right with their patches although it has taken a year for me to get to the main menu of the game, lol.

Upvote 0
Uhuh. Wake me up when non-trivial, game altering stuff such as THIS is whitelisted. If you weren't blind you would at least convene that the mere presence of a ranking system (and thus the need to prevent players from cheating it) is a threat to the evolution of the game through user created modifications and content.

By resorting to ad hominem argument, you automatically lose.

Upvote 0
Is your computer up to date?? Fresh drivers, virus- and spyware free?
Me and my Friend (5 guys) have no problems with Ro2, everything runs fine how it should.
Ya my computer is up to date, I built the thing a few years ago with help from a close friend who builds/repairs computers for a living, my real problem i believe is my cpu, as I had reinstalled RO2 like couple hours ago tried it again and get the same response.
I get to the main menu and within 10 sec it all freezes, then I alt+Tab+delete to get out of it, when I did this I looked at the task manager and was turing off anything I could to up the performance and I normally dont have anything on except for the default systems required for the computer to run, and my gpu fan speed, and the game, I looked at the performance tab and the bar was maxed to the top.

So i had a feeling that it was my cpu after all, as I only have an AMD 3400+ single core CPU, although I can play alot of games, like Arma2CO, and can max out the game and play, but mostly play on low settings without any performance lost.
I have 2g ram, 750watt psu, and Geforce Gtx 285 with plety of memory for it, so I narrow down my problem to the cpu, as i dont have problems with any other game.

RO1 I can play on max settings with np, so theres something more demanding Im assuming from the RO2 engine then RO1 obviously.

I'm wondering if there is something I can turn off in the configs before I launch the game that would help me at least configure the ingame settings under the options. You guys know of any? Im probably in the wrong section of the forum too.

Upvote 0
Small amount of players is probably because the game is hard and can be frustrating sometimes, like some map designs are pretty bad (Barashka for example, terrible terrible map) where you get constantly oneshotted out of nowhere, wait 20 seconds, respawn and get killed by artillery in spawn just to wait 30 seconds to respawn again, happens so often i could imagine new players getting really frustrated with the game

Upvote 0
Small amount of players is probably because the game is hard and can be frustrating sometimes, like some map designs are pretty bad (Barashka for example, terrible terrible map) where you get constantly oneshotted out of nowhere, wait 20 seconds, respawn and get killed by artillery in spawn just to wait 30 seconds to respawn again, happens so often i could imagine new players getting really frustrated with the game

It's difficult, but this is no bad thing. You learn quickly, you just need to play patiently. Getting shot dead repeatedly from out of nowhere is very frustrating, but go slower, be more careful, and it comes.

Upvote 0
I don't think player numbers are a problem. You can always get a game.

Secondly, I think players need to accept that RO2 is a niche title. This is not a bad thing; it was this understanding that led to RO1; a high quality, realism orientated FPS concentrating on the eastern front. It was and is loved, but will never be mainstream.

RO2 has things I do not like. Design elements that are there in the name of broadening appeal; a fool's errand that never works and actually detracts from the game's strengths. A thoroughbred should know what it is, and why.

Here's the thing: RO2 is excellent. It is excellent in spite of some of these things, and it continues to improve. Quality has a draw all of its own. Excellence will always have a market.

Upvote 0
It's difficult, but this is no bad thing. You learn quickly, you just need to play patiently. Getting shot dead repeatedly from out of nowhere is very frustrating, but go slower, be more careful, and it comes.

I know that and i agree but most noobies would lose their patience quickly. Also servers need to run more custom maps, seriously, they are so much better then the original ones

Upvote 0
Actually in fairness I have seen skilled squads decimating pubbies with such abandon it's practically griefing, and its very possible to completely lock down some stock maps right down to the spawn point.

Obviously they can do what they want but it's hardly helpful for new players, and I honestly don't know why anyone with an interest in the community would do this, but I see it pretty regularly - It's not like there's a huge choice of servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know that and i agree but most noobies would lose their patience quickly. Also servers need to run more custom maps, seriously, they are so much better then the original ones

Now this kind of angers me. We have had a server up since day one of this games release. It too has EVERY working Custom Map on it and always has and is constantly updated.

If you and your friends and those always complaining about servers, maps, bots, teamwork etc. would join a server that is empty and get 10 friends to join before you know it you'd have a full server. Not only that it's out there for the community to use and play and anyone can join this server and make it there own.

Our server has sit empty since release and has filled up only a couple times. Once everyone chooses a server and they keep frequenting it and filling it up before you know it, it becomes one of the most popular servers and you all become regulars and you build your own community.

We use to have one of the most popular and always full servers in RO, and Darkest Hour.

It's always out there for your enjoyment and it doesn't cost anything...

Remember this is how communities are made and pubbies become regulars and how new friends are made in any Multiplayer Online game.

This IS NOT a CLAN server - The CLOWNS have NEVER been a CLAN. We put up the server for all in the world of RO2 to use and enjoy.

CLOWNS HEROES SERVER

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the reason the 2FJG server got so popular was that 1)good ping, 2)strong clan right off the bat, and 3) they had these two factors right away...

a smart server would get the new maps for rising storm loaded in right away so people would jump on right away

That and they continued to run 64 players throughout the game's life, even during the period where there was a lot of outcry against 64 player servers (there was even a thread to make TWI get rid of them entirely) and many severs switched to 50 and 48 players.

Upvote 0
Me and SQBsam got on 2FJg once. I dunno if the players in the server at that time were represenative of the usual players, but man it was a turkey shoot. Enemy just kept taking the exact same path to the cap zone each time and ignoring the enemies that were hitting them in the flanks repeatedly...

Also, 64 players isn't always a good thing. I've played 64-player Apartments and that was just a giant cluster****.

Imagine Otr3pky or whatever it's called with 64 players... :|

Upvote 0
Me and SQBsam got on 2FJg once. I dunno if the players in the server at that time were represenative of the usual players, but man it was a turkey shoot. Enemy just kept taking the exact same path to the cap zone each time and ignoring the enemies that were hitting them in the flanks repeatedly...

Also, 64 players isn't always a good thing. I've played 64-player Apartments and that was just a giant cluster****.

Imagine Otr3pky or whatever it's called with 64 players... :|

there are always exceptions, especially that custom map - which was designed for a much lower player count in mind. Even many RO1 maps were a total cluster**** with 50 players and the much slower movement and sluggish aiming. (most of Zhitomir, Lyskrovy, Danzig, Basovka etc)

And about 2fg, thats why I tend to avoid that server(s) nowadays, too many mindless lemmings and minimal teamwork over voice comms, and kill-feed always on. Always one or 2 people at the top of the player boards which like 50+ kills over the next leading guy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is the latest and working Custom Content running on our server if interested.

TE-Arad2_Tanks
TE-Bridges_of_Druzhina
TE-Butovo-B9
TE-Climbup
TE-ColdSteel
TE-DieBresche
TE-Gumrakstation-B8
TE-Hill-911
TE-Koitos1943-B42
TE-Rakowice_Update
te-red_assault_b3
TE-Stalingradkessel
TE-Univermag_B4
TE-Winterwald

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I actually really like Barashka :D

Problems with many NEW players is that they think they can play this game like other FPS (COD, BF etc); they've been brainwashed to think that is what a good FPS is. Running around at mostly close quarters where twitch shooting is king and strategy and tactics and teamwork take a back seat. If those new players don't have the patience to learn the game, chances are they wouldn't stick with it regardless.

Then I will echo what 7-Clown-7 said. Players and their friends just have to get together and join a server. Once a certain number of players join a server, many more will join and you can get a good game going. See his post for more clarification.

Just a quick note on the 2FJG servers. It seems some of the worst players gather there, attitude, juvenile, etc, and I just avoid them anymore.

Upvote 0