• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Winners of Wave 1 Grindhouse Custom Map Contest

Easy Dextronaut, I love your passionate sexual love of Swamp, but to its fault the gameplay is moulded much in the same fashion as Farm, i.e. look for lights...Which is only fun for so long.
Swamp IS a good map, better now that its being revised. I personally don't like the gameplay of the map overtly though, even though I helped re-build the thing. Though it is fun to run around in the dark being chased by Kev like its Friday the 13th, I've come to the realization that not everyone likes being scared or being dumped with the odds stacked against them.
Its a hard map, for people will big balls.

farm? no way. farm is just run from trader to trader. swamp on the other hand is a total tug of war. pushing them back, then they regroup and push you back to the house, then you push them back across. etc.

and yeh, the maps have got to be hard now. KF mod was insane how hard it was, but now the zombies fall in the blink of an eye, so got to make up for it by putting the players in dangerous situations, like a evil swampppp.

Upvote 0
We actually never played the maps. We just looked at screenshots.
You actually made me laugh. Too bad some people won't get the sarcasm ^^

In all honesty, why are you making a problem out of this dextronaut, last i remember it was their competition and they could choose anyone they please as a winner.
Perhaps the gameplay wasn't top notch, but for the graphics, the optimization was and that scored him points.

I think a lot of mappers overestimate the gameplay of their maps on these boards due to not getting proper criticism on them by others rather than the "awesome" comments that every map gets here. And above all else, gameplay is entirely subjective.

Upvote 0
Easy Dextronaut, I love your passionate sexual love of Swamp, but to its fault the gameplay is moulded much in the same fashion as Farm, i.e. look for lights...Which is only fun for so long.
Swamp IS a good map, better now that its being revised. I personally don't like the gameplay of the map overtly though, even though I helped re-build the thing. Though it is fun to run around in the dark being chased by Kev like its Friday the 13th, I've come to the realization that not everyone likes being scared or being dumped with the odds stacked against them.
Its a hard map, for people will big balls.

Forget Swamp...I want........ ;)

Upvote 0
Congrats to all the winners. IMO for wave 2, only one prize should go to a mapper, instead of one person getting three. Not that I don't love your maps, Filthy.

Should have been 4 in my opinion since he didn't submit Dark Road. Still there's always wave 2 for that. Any mapper complaining about the number of awards someone got should have entered multiple maps themselves for Wave 1. And if they did not and decided to put all their eggs into one basket for Wave 1 then that's just tough s...

Ultimately the competition was for the best maps and the best maps won.

This should be a celebration not sour grapes.

Upvote 0
However much people will will disagree with the results, it won't make a difference at all. Waterworks was nice to look at, but tbh gameplay was terrible and a bit boring, no disrespect. And I heard performance was supposed to be judged, but I guess everyone at the TWI offices has high end super computers. Degeneration was actually unplayable on my computer. I'm not saying I should have won, but I know some of the ones that did should not be there at all.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I were a mapper and didn't win, rather than complain in this thread and come off as a bit of a prat and a sore loser, I would challenge myself to do better in the next wave.

Fun is relative to different people, but we had a wide range of people judging with very different tastes. And all of these people judged Waterworks to be the best map based on a number for factors. It wasn't the funnest map, but it was very fun. But gameplay and fun were only part of the equation. It was the best looking map, but not only that it was one of the best optimized, most bug free, and most polished maps. The map is an amazing technical feat, it is plays well, looks amazing, and still manages to pull off a very good framerate. This is very difficult to do, even for pro mappers, and Waterworks struck this balance.

Swamp was a map that we all really loved the gameplay and it had nice visuals, but it was hamstrung by performance and technical issues. The map was one of the worst performing maps in the competition, with very serious framerate issues to the point of being almost unplayable on even the fastest rigs. It also had a technical issue in that one of the zed spawns would get zeds stuck on the other side of a wall unable to reach the player. If the technical issues were resolved, and the framerate was improved Swamp could be one of the top maps.

Upvote 0
in my opinion if a mapper is good enough to get 3 of his maps into the top 10, he deserves to come 1st with all 3, instead of receiving duplicate prizes. also it would of allowed another 2 maps to have a chance in winning a prize. 3 maps is always better then one.
Althougth waterworks has won the competition imo its the least played map by the community. i thought this competition was about growing the KF community and giving the community more maps to play on.

Upvote 0
i thought this competition was about growing the KF community and giving the community more maps to play on.

And indeed it is.

Thanks to the support of the community and TW, i now understand how to push harder to get my map completed.

Those who are sore about Degeneration becoming a runner up... bugga off.
I spent 9 months working on the project. And had a fantastic team working with me to pull it off. I work full time every week, and spend as much time as possible in the editor (when i can!)

From the feedback i have received, i am now ready to get a fully working version out, that will blast you away.

So thank you TW :D

Upvote 0
in my opinion if a mapper is good enough to get 3 of his maps into the top 10, he deserves to come 1st with all 3, instead of receiving duplicate prizes.

What TWI staff has been trying to get across is that they weren't judging mappers, but maps. With that in mind, they could have playtested all these levels without even looking at the author, picking their favorite ones, then notice the same guy made three of them. Their favorite levels win, no matter who made them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I were a mapper and didn't win, rather than complain in this thread and come off as a bit of a prat and a sore loser

Well judging by your language, the unprofessionalism of your company is beginning to show. You sound like you don't seem to respect the amount of time and effort some of us "sore losers" put into making this game survive. Let's not forget, we are doing this for free, and in our spare time.

Yes the contest should have judged the maps, but us mappers are human. And humans like a fair competition. It's only fair if everyone has an equal chance of winning, because not many of us have the time to churn out map after map. If 2 more people were able to win a prize, then 2 more mappers would be happy and will feel like they actually got something out of the contest.

To Kicker, I have nothing against your great map, it's just I couldn't play it on my computer, because it lagged too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You map for the community in the end. Sure, you hurried up a bit so you could make it into the contest and it was nice to be a part of it, but in the end the map was made for your enjoyment and that of your friends or fellow KF players.
So TWI has no obligation whatsoever to compensate a mapper for his hours.

You entered a contest, not a contract to build maps for TWI as a freelance level designer!

Upvote 0
Well judging by your language, the unprofessionalism of your company is beginning to show. You sound like you don't seem to respect the amount of time and effort some of us "sore losers" put into making this game survive. Let's not forget, we are doing this for free, and in our spare time.

Yes the contest should have judged the maps, but us mappers are human. And humans like a fair competition. It's only fair if everyone has an equal chance of winning, because not many of us have the time to churn out map after map. If 2 more people were able to win a prize, then 2 more mappers would be happy and will feel like they actually got something out of the contest.

To Kicker, I have nothing against your great map, it's just I couldn't play it on my computer, because it lagged too much.

My god, drop it seriously, he's not calling you, or anyone in particular a sore loser, but if it is directed to you, it's because your comments make you sound like one.

tbh, that comment right there just proved him right.

If you weren't on the list, well that sucks, really it does, but it should also be an incentive to augment your own capabilities. There will always be someone better, if someone would win over me and zerreth in wave 2, well that would suck, surely, but it still would make us a nice portfolio piece, which is mainly why we entered. The prizes are just an extra incentive.

Upvote 0
GREAT GREAT GREAT NEWS!!! Waterworks and Filthscross are my favourite maps too!! Waterworks is beautiful, maybe too much. And JustFilth made very creepy maps, perfect aesthetic for KF. I am so happy for the mention to JustFilth, great member for the KF community, he deserve much more!!.

I want to write in spanish to express all myself:

Estoy orgulloso de hacer parte de esta comunidad, que cada vez me sorporende por su talento y buena onda. Creo que cada vez me enamoro m

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sadly I feel I have to add to this.

So in my defence:

I had already released 2 maps and showcased another before the Grindhouse was even mentioned or announced (fact) , they were never churned out :D. In fact the only advantage I have had over some others is time to develop them further.

I can remember TW made it plain that members could submit multiple entries so why should I not submit my maps? and if submitted and enjoyed why not be chosen?

Dont get me wrong, I was as surprised and shocked as I feel others are too, but at the same time over joyed by the fact I made it 3 times, which i am very greatful for. I was not the only person to submit mutliple entries.

Just makes me think that the comp must have had a strict guideline and luckily for me I hit it each time as all my maps run on similar bases. It's not like TW have singled me out, who am i to them or anyone else for that matter.

In truth im just some lucky guy who's getting the feeling it's not all roses :).

luckily wave 2 will not see a repeat of this as i only have two entries for it.:p

Cheer all

Filthy.

Upvote 0