• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Winners of Wave 1 Grindhouse Custom Map Contest

Swamp was a map that we all really loved the gameplay and it had nice visuals, but it was hamstrung by performance and technical issues. The map was one of the worst performing maps in the competition, with very serious framerate issues to the point of being almost unplayable on even the fastest rigs. It also had a technical issue in that one of the zed spawns would get zeds stuck on the other side of a wall unable to reach the player. If the technical issues were resolved, and the framerate was improved Swamp could be one of the top maps.

i can understand why that would hurt the map, thanks for replying to that. a few maps in there i thought were really good were: swamp, hotel, brewery. but i guess tastes differ.

PS: angels. world series. its going to happen.

Upvote 0
I know what I say won't change anything, but I'm bored and feel like venting. But by what your saying, and basicly all your saying, is the maps are judged mainly on performance and bug free play?

It was buggy and had performance issues, which is why it got 7th place and not first. In other words, it aimed for the stars, and fell far short, but we felt it should be recognized for taking a big risk and being ambitious. I just hope the issues can be fixed for Wave 2, because it really is a neat map.

Graphics were 10% of the judging criteria, and overall polish was another 10%. The rest was gameplay, performance, whether the map was technically solid, etc. Degeneration was one of the nicest looking maps, but it didn't get in the top 5 because it was very buggy.

judged Waterworks to be the best map based on a number for factors. It wasn't the funnest map, but it was very fun. But gameplay and fun were only part of the equation. It was the best looking map, but not only that it was one of the best optimized, most bug free, and most polished maps. The map is an amazing technical feat, it is plays well, looks amazing, and still manages to pull off a very good framerate. This is very difficult to do, even for pro mappers, and Waterworks struck this balance.

Swamp was a map that we all really loved the gameplay and it had nice visuals, but it was hamstrung by performance and technical issues. The map was one of the worst performing maps in the competition, with very serious framerate issues to the point of being almost unplayable on even the fastest rigs. It also had a technical issue in that one of the zed spawns would get zeds stuck on the other side of a wall unable to reach the player. If the technical issues were resolved, and the framerate was improved Swamp could be one of the top maps.

You loved Swamps gameplay and it had nice visuals. Cool. To acually win I just need to make a map that runs decently on your comp? I realize Swamp ran half the framerate of normal maps when we submitted, but I took that chance for better visuals since its 2009 and statistically the average gamer owns an 8800 Geforce, which ran the map perfectly fine. I believe the dev commenting we got was mainly just on the performance as well, and not much on anything else.

Judging criteria will include (but not be limited to):
  • Gameplay and Fun
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • AI Pathing
  • Complexity
  • Technical stability
  • Polish
  • Creativity
  • And proper use of KF features, including trader locations, specimen and item spawns
A percentage next to the categories you were going to focus on the most would've allowed me polish the map for Performance and Technical Stability over Gameplay, Fun, and Graphics, is all I'm saying.

Thanks for reading, congrates to the winners. :cool:

Upvote 0
You loved Swamps gameplay and it had nice visuals. Cool. To acually win I just need to make a map that runs decently on your comp? I realize Swamp ran half the framerate of normal maps when we submitted, but I took that chance for better visuals since its 2009 and statistically the average gamer owns an 8800 Geforce, which ran the map perfectly fine. I believe the dev commenting we got was mainly just on the performance as well, and not much on anything else.

Judging criteria will include (but not be limited to):
  • Gameplay and Fun
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • AI Pathing
  • Complexity
  • Technical stability
  • Polish
  • Creativity
  • And proper use of KF features, including trader locations, specimen and item spawns
A percentage next to the categories you were going to focus on the most would've allowed me polish the map for Performance and Technical Stability over Gameplay, Fun, and Graphics, is all I'm saying.

Thanks for reading, congrates to the winners. :cool:

We weren't focusing on anything the "most". Divide that list up evenly and you have your percentages. If you want to win you try and do all those things well. Aiming for high end machines only won't cut it (not that the map ran very well, even on high end machines). Swamp was barely playable on my Quad Core i7 with a GTX280 when playing with 6 other players and zeds. And it went downhill from there on the Dual Core/8800 GTX machines, all the way down to the laptops we tested on. In other words, we tested on about 20 different machines with various configurations and universally found the map ran poorly.

One of the things that we're trying to help community mappers learn is that all of those things on that list are important to make a great map - graphics, performance, gameplay, polish, etc are all needed. Waterworks was a great example of a map that looked amazing, ran very well, and played well. FilthsCross looked nice (not as good as Waterworks, but still nice), was a bit more fun that Waterworks, but had good but not great performance.

Upvote 0
I knew KF-Waterworks would be in the top 3, it looked too good to be ignored. Also nice to see a JustFilth map there, though I prefer KF-Biohazard-XTX :) I think he contributed a lot for the community and he deserved it. I remember a majority of the maps installed on my server were his works. I was surprised by KF-CornerMarket making it 3rd but well, people have different tastes.

Upvote 0
yeh, cornermarket surprised me BIGTIME! completely 100percent honest: i get great framerates on waterworks, the layout is so so, its mostly the visuals that get you. that map has always been about visuals.

cornermarket on the otherhand, my fps drops to 30 when im playing with 1 other person, and fighting 20 specimen. 30fps. yes. 30fps. it drops even farther. normally on maps, during the action, i get about 70-80fps. so you can see how far of a drop this is. then comes the layout, a square... inside of a bigger square... GENIUS :rolleyes:

the main thing going for cornermarket was again, that map has always been about how many custom things are in the map. lets compare:

cornermarket
-performance issues.
-boring layout
-cool custom stuff

swamp
-performance issues
-fun tug of war kind of layout
-no cool custom stuff
-its always been a kf favorite

maybe if swamp had some custom stuff it wouldve won, just a thought :rolleyes: ... swamp and brewery deserved more credit imo, whereas cornermarket was to me just a showcase for custom static meshes. as for justfilth, he deserved winning 3 times, he knows what makes a good map, and he knows how to work with what hes got when it comes to static meshes and textures.

Upvote 0