• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra adds Steamworks

But that would bring back the buddy list functionality almost perfectly? And you do realise that it can be changed on the fly at any time ingame or in steam right? Have you played TF 2? And I'm not saying its going to be done, just saying I was going to ask the coders about it.

Here an example:

My steam nickname is now HappyhappyHoboclown

Now its MacOverlord

Now its BobdogSucksG5s

Now its Yoshiro again.

If you want proof, just look up yoshiro, and look at recently used names... Right click a name and select view aliases

Upvote 0
Well I wipe my hands of this I guess, I'm never going to convince you (even though changing the name the way I see it would work the same way, you change it ingame, it changes steam name, thats how it works in TF 2).

But oh well, if you find bugs in the system, drop em in the bug forum please so we can get them fixed.

Upvote 0
Absolutley true. Please, don't add this system to RO. I want my anonynmity and not everybody overwatchin what games I play , when I play etc.

If you want anonymity you can set your status to offline. You can't see if your friends are online then but you can still play the games. Not much to do about the hours played though, sometimes wish there was a was to hide them from public too :D

I think Ramm's words has me convinced that this is the best way for all. Although I wont enable it ingame just yet. Will wait for something to come out of this:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26052

Upvote 0
Its done, HATE it but I'm fine with it, I knew it was coming.

Just dont make false arguments that this is somehow better. Just admit that you have removed a great feature for what ever reason and that you're sorry.. make it a front page post :p

The only problem that I do see besides the big one is. There are many on the line of quiting or staying... You make someone mad about an issue, they stop playing your game.

You cant force ppl to use an alternative when the original just had no hassles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thx for your help Shadrach,
but the point is, does this really save us from losing our anonymity ingame? I wonder 'cause it really doesn't matter, if I do appear to be online or not, when I play tf2. People can just see/click my steam profile/ava.
And valve already has proven that they don't give a *:eek:* about the wish for anonymity.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate TW's work for us.:cool: I just hope the RO /Steamfriends system keeps its status quo. It's not that big problem to add your old friends on your Steamfriends list, which I already did by now. No need to share your Steam identity with everybody though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So the new steam-friends-thingy will actually show me when Im fakenicking? Now thats just poor evil? No more undercover action? :eek:

On a more serious note: I am kind of disappointed (as much as confused) with the fact that the current work on RO went into something that nobody needed (SteamFriends) AND into removing a feature a lot of people liked (buddy-list) BUT NOT into something that is really broken (8-series lag?).

Now pls dont get me wrong, I know that the 8-series problem is Nvidias ****-up, not yours, and at the end of the day I appreciate it a lot (and I mean A LOT!!1) that you guys still havent abandoned this game. Big *thumbs up* for that :cool:

Upvote 0