• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra adds Steamworks

Its pretty ridiculous to rant about the buddy list at this point. We get it, you wish it would come back, but there is no chance that it will. Over time you'll find that you've gained a lot more than you've lost. Switching over to the Steam master server was the best thing for the game and for Tripwire at this point. And the buddy list was tied to the old server browser. The old master server was buggy, time consuming, and expensive to host. And Tripwire is not a huge company with vast resources. It is quite possible that there would have come a time that the old master server would have to be brought down completely. Then there would not only be no buddy list, but no RO matchmaking period. This way there will be a matchmaking for RO for the foreseeable future. And to us that was FAR more important than any buddy list. Give Steam friends/community a chance. Not it doesn't do everything the buddy list did, but it does do many other things.

Upvote 0
As another heads up Steam does infact have a search function in community where you can just type in a set of tags and you will find anybody with that tag in there steam name.

The only way we could make it easier right now would be to force like TF 2 does, the steam name to be the in game name, that way you would know them to be the same. But at this point, most people I know play under the same name as there steam name (with a few exceptions, mostly named waxx) And yes, this isn't quite as easy as the Buddies list, but the end result is the same.

Not only that, but people in your friends list, will show up in the steam server browser under friends, and you can easily find servers that your friends are on!

And read Ramm's post above mine.

Upvote 0
If we are losing the buddy list at least TWI can do is post a tutorial on how to use the steam friends list.

I am not the only one having trouble with it. From what I can tell, and complaints I have heard, here are some issues.

1. It kicks you out of the game when you get an invite and for some other functions.

2. In order for me to find friends I have to know their steam ID.

3. Errors trying to add friends.

4. As for Yoshiro saying you can search by tags. That did not work for me. It says it cant find them. If you enter a partial name you get an answer that says it is not found.

As for the steam server browser. I see 22 servers listed. In the in game server broweser I see 70. Why the difference?

Also I do not think it is ridiculous for any of us to rant about the buddy list. I paid my money for my game. We are the customers, we want what we want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Don't have that problem but will see if I can reproduce/have it fixed

2) Just need to know their steam name, or email, or steam ID, any of the 3 will work, want to test, type is Yoshiro in the search box (I'm the one with an AT-ST for my picture)

3) Don't know what to say here, never had a problem, never seen a problem with this over at steam forums

4) Mine does partial searches just fine, go to community and use the search box (it will work right now if their steam name is the same as their ingame name, which we don't force). You can tell the search function to either search by group, by name, or by both. And when you find somebody, there is even a join button right there.

To paraphrase ramm (and this is the blunt version, please don't take it as being rude, just trying to be quick and to the point with it) Do you like having a server browser, then learn steam (it works for the most played FPS games in the world, why not for RO), otherwise you might not have anything in the future because it costs money and tripwire does not have unlimited resources to spend on it.

Upvote 0
If we are losing the buddy list at least TWI can do is post a tutorial on how to use the steam friends list.

I am not the only one having trouble with it. From what I can tell, and complaints I have heard, here are some issues.

1. It kicks you out of the game when you get an invite and for some other functions.

2. In order for me to find friends I have to know their steam ID.

3. Errors trying to add friends.

4. As for Yoshiro saying you can search by tags. That did not work for me. It says it cant find them. If you enter a partial name you get an answer that says it is not found.

As for the steam server browser. I see 22 servers listed. In the in game server broweser I see 70. Why the difference?

Also I do not think it is ridiculous for any of us to rant about the buddy list. I paid my money for my game. We are the customers, we want what we want.

I could see if TWI could somehow re-implement this. But as said before its impossible to bring back so ranting isn't going to get you anywhere.

And can I get an answer to my above post please?

Upvote 0
1) Don't have that problem but will see if I can reproduce/have it fixed

2) Just need to know their steam name, or email, or steam ID, any of the 3 will work, want to test, type is Yoshiro in the search box (I'm the one with an AT-ST for my picture)

3) Don't know what to say here, never had a problem, never seen a problem with this over at steam forums

4) Mine does partial searches just fine, go to community and use the search box (it will work right now if their steam name is the same as their ingame name, which we don't force). You can tell the search function to either search by group, by name, or by both. And when you find somebody, there is even a join button right there.

To paraphrase ramm (and this is the blunt version, please don't take it as being rude, just trying to be quick and to the point with it) Do you like having a server browser, then learn steam (it works for the most played FPS games in the world, why not for RO), otherwise you might not have anything in the future because it costs money and tripwire does not have unlimited resources to spend on it.

I tried to search for a guy named "buck". I know this guy and this is his id in steam. I entered "bu" and it says it is unable to find "bu". Typed in "yo" got the same thing. Typed in "yoshiro" and it gives me the name japzen. Typed "yoshiro" again and it says there was a problem adding "yoshiro" to my friends list. I would say those are errors.

I do take offense. I paid my money for the game and it came with the buddy list. Now you are taking it away without even getting any input from your customers. I understand it is not coming back, but hell, we can be upset about it. Not to be rude, but do you like having customers?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Echoman, I'm sorry you feel that way, but TWI simply can not bring it back due to technical (Steam server browser does not support that exact functionality) reasons. We have replaced it with a system that does almost everything the old system did (maybe not as easily, and we understand that, but it is out of our hands). And as I said, I will take it up with the code team to force ingame name being the same as steam name, then the Steam search function will have the exact same result as the RO buddy list. As of right now, if the ingame name and steam name are different it might miss the person you are looking for.

We understand that this is not a perfect solution, but it is the only solution.

Upvote 0
I tried to search for a guy named "buck". I know this guy and this is his id in steam. I entered "bu" and it says it is unable to find "bu". Typed in "yo" got the same thing. Typed in "yoshiro" and it gives me the name japzen. Typed "yoshiro" again and it says there was a problem adding "yoshiro" to my friends list. I would say those are errors.

And what about this issue? As for the steam server browser. I see 22 servers listed. In the in-game server browser I see 70. Why the difference? My server does not show up in the steam server but it is in the in-game browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Example of a clan (thats not a clan) Team Tankers TT : http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttib6.jpg

Steam Bucks : http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bucksm2.jpg

(and yes, while those two pics weren't taken in game, the same screen can be brought up in game)

As to the steam browser not showing all, make sure you have no filters on set for region, there appears to be a bug with that and we will be looking into it tomorrow. I have 70 servers on my steam server list, which includes your server.

But if you think you find any further bugs in the system, please report them in the bug section.

Upvote 0
Example of a clan (thats not a clan) Team Tankers TT : http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttib6.jpg

Steam Bucks : http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bucksm2.jpg

(and yes, while those two pics weren't taken in game, the same screen can be brought up in game)

As to the steam browser not showing all, make sure you have no filters on set for region, there appears to be a bug with that and we will be looking into it tomorrow. I have 70 servers on my steam server list, which includes your server.

But if you think you find any further bugs in the system, please report them in the bug section.

I just tried again and i got the same results that I reported earlier. I still can not find your name "yoshiro: or "buck" if I do a partial name lookup in the steam friends. I stand by my earlier report.

The browser filters are set to red orchestra and the rest are set to all. still only 22 found. 70 in the in-game browser. I think there is an issue. This is my offical filing of a report.

Upvote 0
A little further exploring on my part, Steam doesn't seem to like partial names (either will grab something with just those letters, or nothing at all), but it has no problems with any clan tags I've tried so far (or full clan names).

We will be looking into the server issue tomorrow.

Thank you.

I still think that TWI or steam needs a tutorial on how to use the steam system. Appears many RO players are unfamiliar with it.

Upvote 0
Evilhobo, but you could fill that up and it would work fine without the clan tags, would just need to look in the clan roster was my point.

And as I said, I will ask the coders into forcing the ingame name into being the team name like TF 2 works. That way the steam name and ingame name will match for searches (not sure if this can be done, or will be done but I'll ask them about it). And steam name can be changed in about 3 seconds (it works exactly the same way as changing a name ingame for the most part).

Upvote 0