• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra adds Steamworks

[FONT=verdana,geneva]RO Support for Steamworks[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]
Tripwire Interactive have updated their WWII multiplayer classic, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 (RO), with support for Steamworks, a complete suite of publishing and development tools available free of charge to game developers and publishers.
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]In this Steamworks update for RO, Tripwire has leveraged the online matchmaking services offering, including integration of the Steam Server Browser, the Friends “Join Game” functionality (for use in and out of game), as well support for player and server stats viewable on [/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]www.steamgames.com[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva].[/FONT]

There are also a bunch of other changes and updates for the game, including a fix for the aggravating "German grenades do not work for Russians" bug that recently came to light. The full changelog is on the forums.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Beginning today, the update will be automatically applied via Steam via Steamworks auto-updating feature to both the retail and online versions of Red Orchestra.[/FONT]

And the changelog for the update:
  • Steamworks is now used for all backend matchmaking.
  • RO will now show up in the Steam server browser, making it much easier for people to find RO matches.
  • Steam friends matchmaking now works allowing people to use Steam friends to join the server their buddies are playing on both in game and out of game.
  • RO will now show up on the player/server stats on www.SteamGames.com.
  • Outdated servers will no longer show up in the servers list. This will prevent the issue of getting mismatches when attempting to connect to servers that aren’t running the latest version of the game.
  • The buddies tab has been removed from the in-game server browser as all buddy functionality is now operational using Steam friends.
  • Added spectator, start, and end cameras to Krivoi Rog
  • Fixed an exploit in Smolensk Stalemate where you could get under the terrain.
  • Enhanced security features.
  • Fixed German grenades not exploding if picked up and thrown by a Russian after a German player dropped them.

-Yoshi here- Making an addition so people don't have to hunt and find my post (or miss it)

The buddy list was taken out because the steam master server does not support that exact functionality (but has a similar one with steam friends). TWI no longer runs an unreal engine master server, everything is handled in the steam back end now. Yes this is a change (and we all know how much the RO community likes it's comfort zone being messed with), but we feel that you will get used to it quickly. The majority of RO owners own many games on steam and are used to how the steam friend system works.

Upvote 0
I want my buddylist back! This sucks, big time.

Yea... appreciate that the work is still being done on RO, of course, but this is a step backwards...

Buddy list was GREAT - we weren't forced into having the entire community as our Steam friend - if we, say, decided to recruit Core, we'd just type *core* in the buddy list and voila, we could find them when they're playin, and just hop into servers and recruit them. Except Craig. Because Paul Baker is mine now.

Upvote 0
And the changelog for the update:

• The buddies tab has been removed from the in-game server browser as all buddy functionality is now operational using Steam friends.

That's not true. The ingame buddy thing was the best way to find other clans on server by just adding "cc//*" or "*project*" as a buddy. Now I'd have to add their whole roster to my friends -.-

Upvote 0
Guys steam friends makes it much easier to find and join your friends than the buddy list ever did.

Not really. I could see when any one from a particular clan was online, now my chances of finding a server with people worth playing has dropped. All I have now is just my immediate circle of {CoreNA} friends, that's it - and even then I can tell where they are thanks to Teamspeak, thus negating Steam Friends which furthermore conflicts with my mouse as whenever I get messaged with Steam Friends, it causes for the thumb button on my mouse (alt-fire) to disable and I have to restart the game.

Upvote 0