• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kreigstadt Beta 4...the best map out

• Thread starter American_Psycho
  • Start date
What makes this map great -
The size
Combined arms
The MG tracers (in fact, everything about the MG rocks)
The Pak guns
The required teamwork
The insane amount of windows and angles
The dug in Panther
The uniforms and the general 'edge' they create
The difficulty level
The realistic, gritty feel
I concure w/ this list! :) After playing this map 2 dozen times there are still floors I have yet to check out & classes to try.

Upvote 0
I absolutely agree with you here. What is "the best" varies from user to user, as every person is different and thusly has varying tastes in maps..

true, It won't be recognised as the best by the majority of the community, let alone everyone. (hell, for some it won't even be the best Berlin based CA)
But it has the potential to be the favourite of a fair few, and that's what it's all about.

Doesn't matter what it is you do, if some people think it's the best there is, you have really achieved.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with American Psycho on this one, it's one of the best maps ever to surface for RO. It's not just the map it's the additional tweaks to the gameplay (tracer/uniforms/tank spd) that make it spot on. It actually feels like Berlin is falling, great experience. You took some risks Evil Hobo and in my opinion it redifined how this game should be played.

Now if only more people would play it in the US. I have to join German servers to play this map most of the time and the ping........

Upvote 0
The name I selected was for style purposes, and is not particularly proper German. Kriegstadt just sounds better.

Also, {CoreNA} Kriegstadt 24/7 was switched up by wo0t / Deeival to run other maps, because I'm guessing that nobody played on the server. : /
I haven't been around much to play in any event, so I haven't had the opportunity to check up on the servers. The server now runs Kriegstadt Beta2, riflesnbayoz3, and RO-SPARTAAAAAA

Upvote 0
I understand that some people may not like my map and that it may not be fitting to their "style," but I had a particular type of player I made the map for, and those players enjoy it.

The only important opinion is your own. If you like the map, if you have accomplished what you set out to do, then that is all that matters. There will always be pros/cons for each map and many elements of the map. I've said it before about my own work, if people don't like it they don't have to rotate it nor play it.

Every mapper should be able to say "this" is my best work, "this" my worst, and should be able to point out all the weaknesses and strengths of each.

I think some reason gets lost in many posts as people are either way too complimentary or overly critical of certain projects for whatever reason. I can think of three or so maps that are utter crap, in my opinion, yet were carried around on the shoulders of dozens while they cried out how "perfect" it was. To each their own. Main thing, love what you are doing and do it for that reason. Just don't get too over or underwhelmed by community response to leave the level short in some manner that makes it less than what it might become.

Upvote 0

The size
Combined arms
The Pak guns
The required teamwork
The dug in Panther
The difficulty level
No smoke
No arty

At the moment, and I imagine for a long time - my favorite map. Cheers Hobo, well done :cool:.

edit - waitaminnute.... beta 4?? wrong.

Quoted For Mutherfrucking Truth!

Upvote 0
EvilHobo, great map I did not know you made it. It is in fact Beta 2 not 4 as I posted earlier. Some things to consider for the next version:

1) Instead of the Krauts running around for fausts in different rooms, put a stock pile in back of the fighting front line. A stock pile close to the spawn area IMO would be more realistic. Most all infantry had panzerfausts during the battle of Berlin. Limit 1 faust per infantryman except for the tank hunter class of course.

2) Also, they need ammo resupply. During many firefights I ran out of ammo and had to scavenge for a dropped weapon instead of falling back and resuppling. This is why I like the map so much. I would not be killed for 10-15 minute intervals and had to conserve my ammo.

3) Sniper class for the Germans.

4) One of the PAK cannons was in a spot that it was not stratigically beneficial for the Germans. The left one of the two before the bridge I think it was.

5) Any way to increase sight distance and get rid of the fog?

It's my favorite map so far, keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Slyk is right, as usual.

The best map out there = *Insert your personal opinion here*

Also, if you're ok with this* Evil Hobo I was going to do a big write up for you to help with optimizing the map and fixing a few level errors. I know you've used my own map, Leningrad, as a reference/guide/whatever for parts of your map and I would hate to see you make some of the painful mistakes that I made (although I see you've used my horrible mess of stair staticmeshes at least once). I'm also going to do this because you've done a lot of research for this project, something which I respect and wish more level designers would do. Good work. :cool:

*Please note, you have no choice and I'm going to do this anyways. Consider it as punishment for creating RO-SPARTAAAAA. :p

Upvote 0
What's with the uniforms? Is it historically documented that the Russian uniforms were so dirty they looked almost the same as the Germans'?

And kudos to Hobo if it's really modeled just like the real thing... musta taken a lot of work. (was there really a dug in panther?)

berlin65ki.jpg

This is the particular Panther I based the one in my map on, though I have photographs of other dug-in Panther emplacements within Berlin. With this one you'll notice for instance the shells around the turret (I didn't add too many to the map because of performance). The bricks were also dropped for performance reasons.

The amount of spent shells should be able to attest to the longevity of these things as well.

In regard to the Russian uniforms, I did my research to find an appropriate color and then darkened it so that it would fit with the overall scheme of the map. Originally (as was posted in the Preview thread in Level Design), the Allies were set to have dark tan uniforms, yet further research revealed to me that the green M43 uniforms were in greater circulation by 1945.

The only important opinion is your own. If you like the map, if you have accomplished what you set out to do, then that is all that matters. There will always be pros/cons for each map and many elements of the map. I've said it before about my own work, if people don't like it they don't have to rotate it nor play it.

Every mapper should be able to say "this" is my best work, "this" my worst, and should be able to point out all the weaknesses and strengths of each.

I think some reason gets lost in many posts as people are either way too complimentary or overly critical of certain projects for whatever reason. I can think of three or so maps that are utter crap, in my opinion, yet were carried around on the shoulders of dozens while they cried out how "perfect" it was. To each their own. Main thing, love what you are doing and do it for that reason. Just don't get too over or underwhelmed by community response to leave the level short in some manner that makes it less than what it might become.

A master mapper tells it like it is. ;) If I receive compliments when my map is meeting my expectations, I consider it a job well done. When it comes to criticism, I rely a lot of self-criticism to get the job done and I can be very hard on myself there, never quite fully pleased with what it is I've put out but seeing that players enjoy it is always reassuring. I won't give in to a lot of the detractors because, as aforementioned, I have a philosophy that I intend to stick with. Ultimately, I will work toward my vision of completeness and pick up community feedback along the way, because people are apt to pick up on things I may miss and hope to correct.

Also bring Teufelhund out of the dungeon, I need some code help.

EvilHobo, great map I did not know you made it. It is in fact Beta 2 not 4 as I posted earlier. Some things to consider for the next version:

1) Instead of the Krauts running around for fausts in different rooms, put a stock pile in back of the fighting front line. A stock pile close to the spawn area IMO would be more realistic. Most all infantry had panzerfausts during the battle of Berlin. Limit 1 faust per infantryman except for the tank hunter class of course.

2) Also, they need ammo resupply. During many firefights I ran out of ammo and had to scavenge for a dropped weapon instead of falling back and resuppling. This is why I like the map so much. I would not be killed for 10-15 minute intervals and had to conserve my ammo.

4) One of the PAK cannons was in a spot that it was not stratigically beneficial for the Germans. The left one of the two before the bridge I think it was.

Going to tackle this point-by-point:

1. I prefer to have it be such that players have Panzerfausts be spread out, though the most you can expect in terms of a "cache" is two fausts close to one another. Originally (In Beta 1) you might have seen four fausts together. The issue that came up here was that the Axis had quick and easy access to a fairly large amount of Panzerfausts that respawned as fast if not faster than the Soviet tanks themselves, leading to an overabundance of the weapons. As it is now, it should encourage players to spread out within cap zones in order to be able to hold the various faust spawns as well as to form small strongpoints closer to the front line where they can cause for delaying actions against Soviet armor.

2. Good! That was the intent. My goal was to create a feeling of desperation, as if you started to run low on ammo, that was it. Adds a bit of a survival element to things, where you need to pick your shots wisely. This happens to me most at the Moltke Bridge as a rifleman defending, and I find myself looting ammunition off of corpses or trying to find a precious Luger to defend myself against a Soviet who I can steal a weapon from. At this point in the battle, ammo for the Axis was scarce, and I wanted to recreate this feeling.

3. If you read the threads in Level Design you would understand I have absolutely no intents whatsoever of adding a sniper class for the Axis. I feel that the removal of smoke and snipers makes for a more challenging map, making players rely on their iron sights or communication to determine and eliminate enemy positions. For Beta 3 the Axis will probably receive a spotter class (Rifleman + Binoculars, no grenades), for players who want to hold back and help the Machine Gunners.

4. I don't consider that a bad spot, I saw that gun take out tank after tank previously.

5. The fog distance threshold is at approximately 350+ meters, and most of the streets are 120-200m in length. When you get out to the Bridge Area, the effect of fog becomes apparent, but here it serves as an optimization method to cull the rendering of the cityscape.

Thank you all for your feedback and support.

Upvote 0
Slyk is right, as usual.

The best map out there = *Insert your personal opinion here*

Also, if you're ok with this* Evil Hobo I was going to do a big write up for you to help with optimizing the map and fixing a few level errors. I know you've used my own map, Leningrad, as a reference/guide/whatever for parts of your map and I would hate to see you make some of the painful mistakes that I made (although I see you've used my horrible mess of stair staticmeshes at least once). I'm also going to do this because you've done a lot of research for this project, something which I respect and wish more level designers would do. Good work. :cool:

Yeah, please do. Leningrad served as a basis for how I went about designing a lot of things and combing through it for optimization ideas. Some of your stairs were kind of replicated, but I went ahead and redid the Danzig ones but sans rails and with less tris...just made it easier for me. The earlier-middle development stage building designs feature Leningrad-esque concrete stairs.

Thanks,
SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Upvote 0
The Red Army advances down the streets of Berlin!

I LOVE this map. There is a high level of teamwork. I don't even know where to begin to describe my experiences on this map. The street to street, house to house, room to room fighting is exhilarating. One point, the Russian team was doing massed rifle volley fire down one of the streets cutting off German reinforcements. I've never heard such a continuous cracking of bolt action rifles go on so long.

The end-game is really well balanced. They were out of reinforcements, but one machine gunner was giving us hell, spraying belt after belt at us. We almost lost because of him.

All we need now is flamethrowers and mobile Anti-Personnel guns, wahaha! >: D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

As EvilHobo already pointed out himself, there was a desperate ammunition situation in the city of berlin, and raiding bodies for guns and ammo was atleast as common as supplied weapons if not moreso.

Having a sniper is a difficult thing to support as a proper sniper is a highly trained individual assigned to a combat unit and wielding an expensive weapon. The situation in Berlin was absolutely hopeless for the Germans, the battle to decide the fate of the city was fought days before well outside of Berlin, what remained in the city itself was a desperate joke. (although you can make the argument that the fate of the city was sealed at Stalingrad)

Upvote 0
Yeah great map! the only map that comes close to this is Ro-Gorolitz although I hate that Gorolitz has transports on it!
Yeah I agree with the ommition of smokes and snipers - it seems every map has to have it or it "sucks"-Im glad this one does not. Not every battle had smoke grenades especailly the russian smoke grenade.

Now we need a new RO-Konigs-Platz to couple with all of the important bulidings ( like the Opera house, HQ, lol the flak tower-hehe) and defensive postions in it. :cool:

The Panthertrum is very effective and easy to hide since its close to the ground it confused allied troops in the intial meeting they thought they were being fired on by a tank at long range they couldnt find it... I think airsupport took it out or the crew ran out of ammo...... not sure.
The one in the pic looks like an "D" verison with the hatch rather than a cupola quite cool.

ImNotRyan said:
(although you can make the argument that the fate of the city was sealed at Stalingrad)

Although the loss of Stalingrad was a blow to Germany the Germans still won many battles and were still on the offensive deep in "Soviet terriory". It was the Kursk battle that "sealed the fate" of Berlin because after this the Germans were never again on the offensive in the Ost front ( no serious conquering offensives anyway) and the chance to "force a tactical" win in the East disappated after that epic battle. This is one of those things people will agrue about forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The size
Combined arms
The Pak guns
The required teamwork
The dug in Panther
The difficulty level
No smoke
No arty

At the moment, and I imagine for a long time - my favorite map. Cheers Hobo, well done :cool:...

I have to completely agree with eggs & cheese on top (plus cherry) :)

That reminds me I'm hungry

Upvote 0