• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Declining number of populated Classic servers. Bots everywhere.. What now?

Granted, spawning on your squad leader does have its tactical merits but I really wish there was some way you could avoid spawning in front of enemies.

It might just be me, but I've seen it happen way too many times.

I don't think the spawning is working as it should. It's either bugged or TWI couldn't get the spawn on SL to be out of view all the time.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
The game does line checks when it goes to spawn players on the squad leader. If a member of the enemy team can see the spawn location it fails out, and the players will get the message that there was no safe place to spawn and be shunted back to the normal spawn locations.

If there is a slight hill covering say, the shins of the players to-be-spawning, are they still allowed to spawn? Because a few times I have seen players spawn in front of me, but it's always been when the ground is un-even.

Upvote 0
To come back to the Thread-Topic: There are very very few classic servers now in effect and those few that are populated are filled by 2-5 human players. It's not enjoyable. I join them occasionally, but they just don't fill up. So there are two possible solutions to this imo:

1) people start to join servers with a low player count hoping it will fill up soon (if everyone does is...)
2) ditch the whole classic mode and expand the Server-options. So there would be an option for reduced stamina or enhanced stamina. And a button to activate and deactivate SL-spawn. And a button to activate or deactivate weapon boni... (you get the idea)

The first option would be far easier to do, but depends on players acting in a way they don't at the moment, so I don't see that happen anytime soon.
So the second option seems to be the better idea.

What do you think?

Greets
Schepp himself

Upvote 0
To come back to the Thread-Topic: There are very very few classic servers now in effect and those few that are populated are filled by 2-5 human players. It's not enjoyable. I join them occasionally, but they just don't fill up. So there are two possible solutions to this imo:

1) people start to join servers with a low player count hoping it will fill up soon (if everyone does is...)
2) ditch the whole classic mode and expand the Server-options. So there would be an option for reduced stamina or enhanced stamina. And a button to activate and deactivate SL-spawn. And a button to activate or deactivate weapon boni... (you get the idea)

The first option would be far easier to do, but depends on players acting in a way they don't at the moment, so I don't see that happen anytime soon.
So the second option seems to be the better idea.

What do you think?

Greets
Schepp himself

2) is already available. Let's wait and see what TWI comes up with for the Classic changes.

Upvote 0
The game does line checks when it goes to spawn players on the squad leader. If a member of the enemy team can see the spawn location it fails out, and the players will get the message that there was no safe place to spawn and be shunted back to the normal spawn locations.

Yoshiro,
Respawn on SL act as a "moral factor"...It's works even if enemy troop see the SL. Be seeing by enemy troop don't delete this moral factor.

Only disable invincility of respawn on SL. But respawn on SL, in realism mode, help squad to be squad.
It's the risk of close combat. Just disable the invincibilty of respawn on SL.

Respawn on SL can create "resistance pocket" more easily and more quickly, even if the troop have been see by an enemy.

- What is "moral factor" ? Battle become chaos in the balance of forces through their own way to be a force. respawn on Sl give better moral factor of soldiers based on SL fighting soldiers without SL.

So a outnumbered unit well supported by SL can win against a big number of enemy of any kind.

Example of "moral factor" :
-a bunker defending by a SL and his full squad against 2 squads without SL each.
Bunker troop have moral advantage.
+1 moral factor will have the squad inside the bunker.
(Roll the dice, see the table, etc…etc… ;) look like in wargames )

- What is "chaos of war" ? Battle become chaos IN THE SPACE. Respawn on SL create a line of front not necessary IN line of front but OUT of the main line of front. Chaos of war need to be used as a weapon.

Battle become chaos. Battlefield become chaos. Best SL and TL are SL and TL who will control their own chaos and the chaos of enemy.

-Example of "Chaos of war":
Battefield is a Line of front, for the moment. With respawn on Sl you can decided to create a second line of front in flank or rear of the enemy.

- What is “fog of war” ? Battle become chaos IN THE TIME. respawn on SL works look like a real “fog of war”. We can see DIRECTLY RO 2 has fog of war by the situation of uncertainlyness of the battle. The fog of war is the uncertainty in situational awareness experienced by soldiers on battlefield. You don’t know WHEN enemy will come back !

Battle become chaos. Battlefield become chaos. Best SL and TL are SL and TL who will control their own chaos and the chaos of enemy.

Example of "fog of war" :
-You attack a capture zone. You are in axis. You are rifleman. You have 1 blue guy and 2 red guys. Maybe it’s a Sl ? or just 2 soldiers as you ? How many are they ? Which class they are ? YOU DON’T KNOW. And maybe if it’s a SL reinforcement will come directly in the zone ! More quickly than you think...

Respawn on SL is an interesting idea. Really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can put up a custom server that is like the classic mode without it being unranked?

Please elaborate!

Greets
Schepp himself

You can, there is a server setting for basically everything. Atm the only setting that unranks the server unexpectedly is changing spawn on SL, but Yoshi said that will be changed. All we need now is to make the settings more visible in the browser.

Upvote 0
You can, there is a server setting for basically everything. Atm the only setting that unranks the server unexpectedly is changing spawn on SL, but Yoshi said that will be changed. All we need now is to make the settings more visible in the browser.

True. And implement a nice filter-menu.

Greets
Schepp himself

P.S.: Thanks for clearing that up, btw.

Upvote 0

Yoshiro,

Squad cohesion in close combat or in long range, doesn't necessary means visibility on SL.

few examples :

- be killed when we are a soldier following the SL in stairs of Aparts.

- be killed when we are a soldier following the SL in trench of Barashka

- be killed when we are a soldier following the SL in bunker of Mamayev

- be killed when we are a soldier following the SL but SL was hidden by rock on Gumrakstation

- be killed when we are a soldier following the SL but SL was hidden by fence on Sparta.

It can explain why Respawn on SL based on visibility on SL is not a good idea. Visibility on SL is easily lost in close combat as the same way visibility on SL is easily lost in long range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys join the OdW Test Server with Dibbler's mod. Beats Realism and Classic easily imho.

Definitely. My only complaint is that the server is running classic movement speed. Combined with the dynamic movement, it feels as though I have rickets.

I have to admit though, its quite nice not having ANY zoom whatsoever. Brings me back to RO1 a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely. My only complaint is that the server is running classic movement speed. Combined with the dynamic movement, it feels as though I have rickets.

I have to admit though, its quite nice not having ANY zoom whatsoever. Brings me back to RO1 a little.
I agree top speed on flat terrain could be a bit more. But the dynamics work well.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd resurrect this thread seeing as classic mode has gone through some huge changes.

I have to say I enjoy classic mode much more now; particularly the changes to movement speed, weapon recoil and going into iron sights after a sprint. Apart from not being able to spawn with enemy weapons, I definitely prefer it to realism mode.

And in regards to spawning on squad leaders? I don't mind it not being there if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0