• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Declining number of populated Classic servers. Bots everywhere.. What now?

zeep

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
One of the reasons i stopped playing RO2 was because there were always bots on servers, even when there were humans playing.

Now RS is taking that same route. I really love playing RS maps, this game is awesome. I pains me to see less and less people playing Classic servers and the overall number of bots on servers is rising.

I join the empty servers, thank you admins for keeping them bot-free, wait for people to join but there's little to no one joining because everyone apparently chooses AI over human vs human.

No idea what can be done against this.. I can't force people to join human only servers nor can i influence admins. Any ideas?

*edit*
Why is TW also running bot filled servers?? What good example are you giving here..

7r71.jpg

Am i the only one sighing when i open the Browser, such as now -sunday afternoon-, and see a multitude of bots vs a shortage of people?

Last edited:
....no one likes classic mode.

Tons of populated realism RO2/RS servers.

If you like classic mode, then you are out of luck.

I never have a problem finding a 64/64 match in RO2 or RS.

Well guess what!?
There are people who like to play Classic mode even if it is a minority..Problem is, that it seems TWI pretty much abandoned Classic mode and all it's lovers.

Upvote 0
Classic mode is ****ed up, thats all. Even me, I always decide to play realism...
About bots, I never join a server where bots are majority. Must be at least 80 % ppl or just few without bots. Its so funny to see that many happy bots who are leveling up, its scary to even join.

Upvote 0
Well guess what!?
There are people who like to play Classic mode even if it is a minority..Problem is, that it seems TWI pretty much abandoned Classic mode and all it's lovers.
No one is stopping you from playing it....

I was just pointing out that almost no one plays it. I wasn't disparaging the mode (though I guess you could read it that way...:rolleyes:)

As far as classic mode is concerned though, the community has already voted with its feet...and it has voted overwhelmingly for realism over classic. Now you may not like that fact, but that is another story.

Upvote 0
Try the 40-1 UK RO-HoS Classic server "only" 8 Bots (4v4) If you stay there you will have more player than bots... most of times :D

I only play Classic, and when there is no populated classic server I join a empty one and wait some time, if nobody join I leave and do something different.

From time to time I try the realism server but this is not RO style... so.

Classic is dead because classic is not what "we" want. RO2 have had a hard stand at all. Over 70 people in my friend list own RO2 but only 5 play it... any question?

Most of them are disappointes about RO2, because the know RO:Ostfront before.
We all know RO1 wasn

Upvote 0
I don't usually have enough playtime to jump on an empty server and try to seed it, that's the clan's job IMO. And I'm not a freeloader, I was high level in a clan for years, so I'm surprised there's so many Classic servers that sit empty aside from the 40-1. Why pay for a server if the clan's not into it and don't play on it?

It seems there's two things that will bring players to Classic to give it it's last chance to build a following.

1: increased run speed. We hear it again and again, "I like Classic but hate the $@!>? run speed"

2: change the name to entice new players to try it. Almost anything would be better.

It'd better happen soon....

Upvote 0
One of the reasons i stopped playing RO2 was because there were always bots on servers, even when there were humans playing.

Now RS is taking that same route. I really love playing RS maps, this game is awesome. I pains me to see less and less people playing Classic servers and the overall number of bots on servers is rising.

I join the empty servers, thank you admins for keeping them bot-free, wait for people to join but there's little to no one joining because everyone apparently chooses AI over human vs human.

Probably because nobody wants to wait around on a server with just one guy on it besides themselves and would much rather play against multiple bots than hunt around an entire map to find one single guy.... all the while waiting for others to show up.

No idea what can be done against this.. I can't force people to join human only servers nor can i influence admins. Any ideas?

Am i the only one sighing when i open the Browser, such as now -sunday afternoon-, and see a multitude of bots vs a shortage of people?

I don't sigh... it was expected.

The best thing you can do is to get a bunch of friends in Steam and/or perhaps make a group on Steam so you can organize you and your friends to hop onto a specific server (that has no bots) when you can. Even if you only have 5-6 friends to join in, that might be enough players to get drifters like myself to pop in and play, further adding players on the map of course.

.... but I don't like Classic, so you won't see me.... but others who like Classic or just don't care what mode they play might join in.

But the key is getting together with a few players to populate a server at one time.... trying to do this by yourself will not gain other player's attention, especially when they only see one guy on the server.

Oh, and I personally don't join into Classic Mode servers because of the name.... The name doesn't affect how I like a game mode. It's the gameplay mechanics of the mode that determine if I like it.

Realism Mode could be called Tooty-Fruity Mode for all I care.... it has all the mechanics I enjoy playing with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do feel those that enjoy classic mode are clutching at straws if they think a name change to the game mode will attract new players.

Nothing about the name affects my decision not to play Classic, simply put some of the game mechanics/slowness of the mode push me towards Realism.

I am not scared of a challenge, Realism can still be brutal with pretty much 1 hit kills. I am not to much of a snob to look down on players that enjoy levelling the classes.

There should probably be some more weapon sway added to Realism mode, there should also be more of a penalty if you continually hold your breath with the shift key. Apart from sniping there appears to be very little consequences.

Sorry to shift the conversation to Realism, I just get the impression some players are being a little elitist about their game mode.

I see no reason why server admins cannot basically edit most of the server side options to make a hardcore version of Realism that that the player base won't even realise they are playing :)

What is the full list of game play changes from classic to Realism and which of these cannot be changed server side?

Upvote 0
Another hope for me are some modders like dibbler and PanzerJager, both are working at to really nice mods (Sound, Weapon, Kill-animations, game speed, class editor, SMG for SL, no zoom by server admin, and more)

These are available to realism players too you know...

I see no reason why server admins cannot basically edit most of the server side options to make a hardcore version of Realism that that the player base won't even realise they are playing :)

Agreed. There was a mode a while back that Proud God and a few others were testing called "refined realism" that did exactly that. The game really does need a lot more options for admins, and rather than having two separate tabs for ranked and unranked servers, they should just put them all in one browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0