• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Declining number of populated Classic servers. Bots everywhere.. What now?

I just played a round of Grain Elevator.

I can't describe how infuriating it is to see a guy beam down for the Starship Enterprise RIGHT in front of you, managing to shoot you and go on his merry way, despite the fact you just dumped a whole mag from your MP40 into his face.

The sooner they change the way spawning on your squad leader works, or giving admins the ability to disable it without being relegated to the unranked server list, the better.

Yes any change should be for the better. I think besides RO2Player nobody actually seems to be happy with the current system. It is just awful and no there is no realism in spawn on SL and it just makes SL a mobile spawn point reather than a soldier that pushes his team forward. "Stay close to cap so we can spawn on you!" is all the instructions you need. It cripples gameplay severely and does bring it closer to other generic shooters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes any change should be for the better. I think besides RO2Player nobody actually seems to be happy with the current system. It is just awful and no there is no realism in spawn on SL and it just makes SL a mobile spawn point reather than a soldier that pushes his team forward. "Stay close to cap so we can spawn on you!" is all the instructions you need. It cripples gameplay severely and does bring it closer to other generic shooters.

Well, it is a Classic thread so talking about about Realism's Spawn on SL in a Classic mode thread is a bit out of place and distracting the topic a bit :p

Upvote 0
Well, it is a Classic thread so talking about about Realism's Spawn on SL in a Classic mode thread is a bit out of place and distracting the topic a bit :p
Well since Classic is dead I'd like to see the option to turn spawn on SL off without unranking the server. Then Realism mode would be worlds better for my taste.
The OP question was "what now?" Any suggestions?

@TWI is it hard to make the server not go unranked with spawn on SL off? Please consider it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with 'spawn on SL' (while respawning myself): before I respawn I look on the map. If I see that the SL is too close to the enemy or moving fast towards the front line, I choose respawn on 1 or 2. If I see that he is in a safe distance, I spawn on him.
It is a feature that I had to get used to. But then after some time I saw that it improved squad cohesion and cooperation, so I accepted it.
In some scenarios and some situations I don't like it - mostly if I want to play lone wolf - and then I simply don't use it.

You should read what Siegertyp written, Piscator.

Upvote 0
I think besides RO2Player nobody actually seems to be happy with the current system.

You're clearly very wrong about that. If anyone doesn't like to spawn on their SL, they can choose not to. Most choose to do it, therefore it is far more logical to say that almost everybody seems to be happy with the current system.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with 'spawn on SL' (while respawning myself): before I respawn I look on the map. If I see that the SL is too close to the enemy or moving fast towards the front line, I choose respawn on 1 or 2. If I see that he is in a safe distance, I spawn on him.
It is a feature that I had to get used to. But then after some time I saw that it improved squad cohesion and cooperation, so I accepted it.
In some scenarios and some situations I don't like it - mostly if I want to play lone wolf - and then I simply don't use it.

You're clearly very wrong about that. If anyone doesn't like to spawn on their SL, they can choose not to. Most choose to do it, therefore it is far more logical to say that almost everybody seems to be happy with the current system.

Jank and Siegertyp are rigth. People are happy and interrested by realism mode and respawn on SL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still think the system needs to be fixed. Right now, there really is nothing more immersion breaking than watching someone spawn right in front of you and not being able to shoot them. This can happen on smaller maps regardless of where the squad leader is...

I remember someone saying something about this feature not working the way TWI intended. I think they need to fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tripwire doesn't agree with that change. For severs/players looking for a customized play experience is one of the main reasons the unranked tab exists.

One of the biggest complains we received in the RO 1 days (and even from KF) was (is) being unable to reliably find severs running "stock" environments. So the current ranking and filters are designed to allow players to find that.

Upvote 0
Tripwire doesn't agree with that change. For severs/players looking for a customized play experience is one of the main reasons the unranked tab exists.

One of the biggest complains we received in the RO 1 days (and even from KF) was (is) being unable to reliably find severs running "stock" environments. So the current ranking and filters are designed to allow players to find that.

But yet pistols can be turned off, player speeds changed, stat bonuses disabled, classic loadouts can be enabled, killcam be turned on, minimap or compass... the list goes on and on...

Upvote 0
But why not just make the servers go to Custom game mode. That makes it very clear to players that it is not standard. Why also unrank them?

This.

But yet pistols can be turned off, player speeds changed, stat bonuses disabled, classic loadouts can be enabled, killcam be turned on, minimap or compass... the list goes on and on...

And this...

Or why not just put both unranked and ranked servers in the same browser if you guys really don't want to give admins this ability (without endangering their server population)

Upvote 0
But why not just make the servers go to Custom game mode. That makes it very clear to players that it is not standard. Why also unrank them?

Exactly, one big list that you could filter for anything you wanted. Ranked/Unranked, Custom/Stock, etc. A separate tab is the kiss of death, this is has been proven since release, I've yet to see an unranked server populated that wasn't PW protected for a special event. Always, empty, empty, empty.

Upvote 0
That isn't what was asked (Any game mode - which I answered vs why not put it in custom?).

What you are now asking is something we have considered (and are still considering).

Fair enough.:IS2:

I guess the players and server admins do not know what they're talking about. :cool:

We took our Classic Server down.... :(

I hope you reconsider after the incoming changes to Classic! (new poll in Beta forums btw) Whenever they may come .. ahem.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That isn't what was asked (Any game mode - which I answered vs why not put it in custom?).

What you are now asking is something we have considered (and are still considering).

I think the unranking of the servers is what kills most servers (except the few specialized servers for certain clans).

Allowing the change but causing the server to go custom (and still stay ranked) would be a nice option and its nice to hear it is still being considered :)

Upvote 0
Anybody with more than a passing knowledge of TWI should know that you're actually insulting the devs when you say this game is anything like COD. If you just want to vent, fine, but realize that they're probably not going to listen to a word you say if you say you think this game is anything like COD, which it is not. You might as well curse them up outright, for all it will get you.

I'm sorry but RO2 has its share of similarities with modern shooters and that's awfully out of place :(

That said, I like spawn-on-SL because I very frequently play SL and enjoy the challenge of getting to a good position to spawn my squad and make a difference. It mitigates the unrealistic boundaries of the maps in some sense. IRL I would have my squad flank any serious resistance if possible.

So basically they have introduced a flawed mechanic to fix a problem that they have created and was not present in the first game... makes sense.

I trust their vision for this game. Call me a fanboi if you wish.

They have perverted almost everything I liked from the first game, they have a long way to go before our visions align again...

The thing I hate the most is how fast people get back to the frontline, it's really irritating killing a player just to have this same dude on the same spot 10 secs later.

It's an immersion killer, it turns the game experience more shallow and repetitive, it kills all the tension and renders death meaningless, it's one of the most out of place features on the game. :(

Upvote 0