• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Beta 2] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't notice a performance drop at all, in fact, my numbers seem higher for FPS. They were almost always between 45-70 before in Beta 1 (with the very very rare drop to orange/red at times), now they are probably 50-75 in Beta 2. I run my system at max settings and haven't changed a thing. However, if asked, I still prefered the seemingly longer LOS from before.

Did get a much better chance to try the BT-7, and I really like it :D . You do have to be careful with it though, pop in and take a few shots at some panzers before they see you, then get out before you are overwhelmed by numbers. They would probably operate well with two or more together. I have come to the conclusion I really hate the T-60 sight though :p

I do like the rifles substituted for the smg's in the Engineer class. Rarely played that class before because I don't care for the smg's.

Upvote 0
I dont think that there should be more AT anything for the Russians. The PTRD can be reloaded from the ammo supply and if you are a rifleman you should stick close to the PTRD guy when he goes down you should take his gun. PTRD guys need to fire and move to stay alive. If anything is to be done to hamper the german tanks then AT obstacles should be put in to make it harder for them to get around but just in certain select locations. THis would add to the overrun effect by channeling them into certain areas.

Upvote 0
If anything is to be done to hamper the german tanks then AT obstacles should be put in to make it harder for them to get around but just in certain select locations. THis would add to the overrun effect by channeling them into certain areas.

Hrm. I don't think I've seen any maps yet that included tank traps, which typically where about 3m/9ft wide. Hrm ... =)

Upvote 0
the russians have MORE than enough AT crap, considering the way the russian ATR is so over-powered compared to it's historical penetration values. there is no way it turns a PzIII into a ball of flame with a front shot in real life, but it sure does in RO.

the russians have plenty of AT. :cool:

Agreed, played Beta2 last night, with great team work on both sides. I was a tank crewmen, the other tank crews were all team players which was nice, and so was the rest of the team. The russians, same thing, it was a good battle.

Anyway on to the point of the AT for Russians. Many times we got brewed up by satchels, and PTRDs. About 20min we fought for the eastern bank of the river and even trying to cross the river we got either satcheled or killed by a PTRD. The Russians have a lot of AT weapons at their disposal, they just have to use it right. When they do, they are deadly.

Upvote 0
Been doing some tricount testing.

At 16,000 units fog plane the highest tri count I found was entering the village sector from the middle road. Topped out around 124,000 looking toward the river, straight LoS to the bridge. I never expected that much there.

Looking from the North Road into the farm valley, over the wheatfields to the barns: Topped out around 90,000 looking directly at the main barn.

Looking East from the 1st DL, over the barns, to the 2nd DL, high was about 88,000.

Looking West from the 2nd DL to the 1st DL:
front of the trench line: @ 68,000
from the rear of the area, back to the tree wall, @72,000

I think these sound like they are well within the tolerance range for the UT engine. At 18,000 units I am sure these will all go up between 2,000 and 5,000. Keeping in mind this is in 'spectate' with NO players or vehicles moving.

Upvote 0
This might be something easy to do but would make the armour more realistic. Just remove the AP shells off the panzer 4 f1. Since HE rounds in RO work like HEAT rounds anyways it would work well I would think.

Not just for you Dheepan, but for all. Why must I always see..... "REMOVE".

Is it so difficult to make suggestions with the word "add" instead of "remove"? Just curious. :cool:

Slyk, not for anything, but please do not lose or seriously alter your original concept for Berezina.. the majority of us feel you have a winner, a first class winner. The tweaking and tuning is really all it needs. Its a marvelous map. A MAP among maps. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2 bugs...

Sometimes, the area between the forests and some obstacles is clearly large enough for someone to pass thru, but an invisible barrier blocks you. This is the pile of logs near the house by the bridge. It's impossible to go behind it:

bug1.jpg

When you try to exit a trench using the ladders, if you are too close to the edge of the trench, you get stuck between the ladder and the trench. It's then impossible to move out. This is on the first line near the radio:

bug2.jpg

Upvote 0
Played alot of Beta 2 these past few days. Probably approaching 6 - 8 hours again. The progressive spawn protection for the Germans is working excellently. Nothing like seeing some badly-out-of-position Russians die ignomineous (sp?)deaths. :D

The BT7 is a pisser! it's a tin can, but yesterday I was holding the left flank of the "2nd Line" for almost 20 minutes w/out passing to the next world. I was bummed though, when I discovered that it takes TWO shots from the BT7 to kill a half track!!:eek: . But, it's fast and has a high ROF. but it was fun trying something new.

Germans won some, and the Russians won some. I must say, a russian team playing with organization and team work, congealing a defense around the "2nd Line" and winning, is a thing of beauty! :cool:

Nice work Slyk-meister. :)

(EDIT: this is a very worth post/subject for my 1400th post. wOOt! )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a good map. But I'd like to suggest removing the water volume in that river between the last two objectives. Water volumes act funny and probably shouldn't be used in RO.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the spawn limitations for tanks is funky. I think it's strange that the Russians have to retreat for more tanks once the forward spawns run out, and that doesn't happen unless the whole team cooperates with such an order.

Upvote 0
I've played and generaly if a few players ask people to pull back they will listen. I've had to explain the limited spawns to a few bemused tankers :p, and then tell them if they pull back they'll find some fresh tanks. Usualy the team will comply with pulling back from the farm and the village to the more defendable trenches on the 2nd line or the east bank.

Upvote 0
- Added MANY more static mesh objects inside the main barn and worker houses. These buildings all have zone portals in windows/doors.
- Also added MANY statics to the trench system.

Anti-portals don't necessarily improve performance - only if they are occluding enough meshes to justify the extra processing capability required to deal with the AP's.

If you have loads of meshes in the trenches it may even be worthwhile putting AP's around the trenches underground (especially when the trenches are elevated with respect to the rest of the nearby terrain.)

Not had a chance to play it with BT-7's yet - *drool* - can't wait.

Upvote 0
Yeah, what's with the gimped LOS? I want the long one back.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I didnt find a problem with the long LOS at all. Now it makes it even more difficult for the Russians as you have to wait till the Germans get even closer. Forgot to mention I love the map and the BT-7. I've had a blast in that tank.

-Why does the German Engineer have a rifle? Pioneers were always equipped with the MP-40 during this period. Their close up assault work required it!

-Why do the Germans get protection at the first line? I tried to flank left with the BT-7, around the clump of woods near the 1st. line and got killed by spawn protection. It's not anywhere near German spawn.

-Is it me, or is the mini-map off just a bit? I had a hell of a time finding the radio for artillery. I was standing on the symbol on my mini-map, but the radio was quite a distance from where it was indicating.

-While defending the 2nd line, do the Russians run out of tanks at that position after awhile? I kept spawning near the Village CP and there were never any tanks! I don't mind if the tanks are limited in number, but it makes you pretty worthless spawning that far away on foot and carrying a pistol. If you run out of tanks defending 2nd line, can we spawn at West Bank with a tank? There has to be some kind of fix for this. Perhaps a warning of some kind that tanks for the 2nd. line are exhausted?

-Some of the trees block tank shots, it's espeically annoying when it's a defoliated tree and you try to shoot between the branches. You can see each other, but not shoot each other. Is this because of the type of model/mesh used?

Okay, that covers a few of my questions....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the problem is not the russian reinforcement setting, it's the player base itself! people refuse to sit back and play defense. I saw some early russian losses this weekend, cause we were down on reinforcements because of the rambos.

I don't know how you solve that. :(

How about a protection area in front of the bunkers that says, "Return to your position or the Commisar will execute you for cowardice!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.