• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Beta 2] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look here and then talk to me about it.:)
http://www.lioncrowcabins.com/ldPics.html

I did - this what I saw...
savecaulk.jpg

even assuming Slyk was modelling the Lion's Den Cabin and not a bunker it would appear that I am still right. :p

Can we just get one thing clear? I am not committing the heresy of attacking the map as a whole :eek: , merely pointing out a very minor glitch which could be easily corrected. :)

Upvote 0
I'd hazard a guess that if...... the binding agent (mortar or mud) between the logs in the trenches was finished (smoothed level) as it would be in the interior of a log cabin there might not be a shadow beneath the mortar or mud. In reality, the way it is in Berezina's trenches is correct. The mortar or mud bulging out slightly from between the logs, casting a shadow beneath itself.

Also, I have a field of nits that need picking... :D

Berezina is one "kick-azz" map - period.

Upvote 0
I aint arguing about the map being a classic. But no-one arguing with me here about a harmless, innocuous observation i made about the texture has taken a look at the texture in its original context in Lyes krovy, because if they had, they would not be arguing.

It is odd to see people trying to rationalise someone else's (probably random) decision before even looking at the (perfectly valid) basis for (incredibly minor) criticism - it does make me wonder. No need for the ringfence guys - just check Lyes Krovy and take a really close look at the texture.

Upvote 0
I see what you are saying, but why didnt you give a solution in your first post. The solution I guess is that the tex needs to be rotated 180 to satisfy Nestor. I see what Slyk was saying because in hastilly assembled trench works this method would not be smoothed out like in the cabin it would be smooshed like a fat PB&J causing shadow under so since it is a 3d pic on a 2d surface it may look odd up close.

Before it gets buried Slyk what about the fog

Upvote 0
I aint arguing about the map being a classic. But no-one arguing with me here about a harmless, innocuous observation i made about the texture has taken a look at the texture in its original context in Lyes krovy, because if they had, they would not be arguing.

It is odd to see people trying to rationalise someone else's (probably random) decision before even looking at the (perfectly valid) basis for (incredibly minor) criticism - it does make me wonder. No need for the ringfence guys - just check Lyes Krovy and take a really close look at the texture.

Post a screenshot of lyes I am at work. Isnt there only one of these texs in ROED so I am sure it is the same tex. I agree it is minor I guess it inflates it when you post a pic. What is a ringfence?

Upvote 0

:eek:

lolbonksign0bwgb9.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The verdict:

On "Lyes" the mortar is 'in' and the illusion is that the upper logs are wider at their base than top, thus casting a shadow on the lower section. In some spots the mortar sticks out of the crack.

On "Berezina" the mortar is 'out' and the illusion is the the mortar itself casts the shadow onto the beams.

Neither is 'wrong' from the above descrition but I certainly think my rotation of the texture looks better and more natural. I'm not changing it. It is almost like arguing that moss should only be on the north side of a tree or rock, which just isn't true either.

Upvote 0
Beta 1 fog was at 18,000 units. I moved beta 2 in at 16,000. I did this to compensate for additional details and to try pulling up the FPS across the map. Although 18,000 looks better, I don't see that a shorter distance changes much. I did, however, move it back again to 18,000 for the next release... and I constantly debating that. Not sure where I will leave it. More details and activity requires some compensation and fog is one way to do that. Performance to me is far more important than looks.

EDIT:::: Upon further review and consultations with the Commisar (the wife) I re-focused my eyes on the trench wall texture and realized that if you change your point of focus, it is indeed upside down. But just for kicks, look at it in Beta2 and refocuse your point of reference and it will look like the filler/caulk/whatever is indeed bulging out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.