• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Beta 2] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer:

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I didnt find a problem with the long LOS at all. Now it makes it even more difficult for the Russians as you have to wait till the Germans get even closer. Forgot to mention I love the map and the BT-7. I've had a blast in that tank.
+ I don't see that it causes too many problems, really, and the FPS gain certainly makes up for it. The most obvious area you notice this is when the Germans crest the 1st Line ridge attacking the 2nd Line. I changed it back to 18,000 units though so we will see what happens next.

-Why does the German Engineer have a rifle? Pioneers were always equipped with the MP-40 during this period. Their close up assault work required it!
+ I will insert a choice, if possible.

-Why do the Germans get protection at the first line? I tried to flank left with the BT-7, around the clump of woods near the 1st. line and got killed by spawn protection. It's not anywhere near German spawn.
+ They get the protection to stop exactly what you did. You flanked to a position that would allow you to fire into their spawn. On a big map, I tried to cover all areas like this to stop the raping.

-Is it me, or is the mini-map off just a bit? I had a hell of a time finding the radio for artillery. I was standing on the symbol on my mini-map, but the radio was quite a distance from where it was indicating.
+ Yes. I have spent countless time trying to get it right. The map is off a bit but people will learn where things are after playing a couple rounds. This is not a high-priority fix for me as I have tried every idea to fix it.

-While defending the 2nd line, do the Russians run out of tanks at that position after awhile? I kept spawning near the Village CP and there were never any tanks! I don't mind if the tanks are limited in number, but it makes you pretty worthless spawning that far away on foot and carrying a pistol. If you run out of tanks defending 2nd line, can we spawn at West Bank with a tank? There has to be some kind of fix for this. Perhaps a warning of some kind that tanks for the 2nd. line are exhausted?
+ They do run out. The count is 6 or 8, depending on where you are. It is not possible to move the spawns after the tanks are used up. The one thing I need to check is that the tank and tanker respawns are the same amount of time, that may be off. Otherwise you need to be more careful with the tanks you have and you need to alert your team that it is time to pull back. Otherwise your only choice is to run to the front and scrounge up a weapon off a dead guy.

-Some of the trees block tank shots, it's espeically annoying when it's a defoliated tree and you try to shoot between the branches. You can see each other, but not shoot each other. Is this because of the type of model/mesh used?
+ That's a model thing. If I turn them 'off' your shells will go through the trunks and offer no cover at all.

How about a protection area in front of the bunkers that says, "Return to your position or the Commisar will execute you for cowardice!"
+ My answer to that currently is to change my in-game name to: "I_TK_RiverCrossers". Have to watch those low-threashold TK servers though. ;) I will admit to having shot comrades in the back though when they continually run over the river and die...at that point one more death from ME is a point made.
quote]

Heinz:
The BT7 is a pisser! it's a tin can, but yesterday I was holding the left flank of the "2nd Line" for almost 20 minutes w/out passing to the next world. I was bummed though, when I discovered that it takes TWO shots from the BT7 to kill a half track!!:eek: . But, it's fast and has a high ROF. but it was fun trying something new.
+ I love that little tin can. You can do some serious damage early in the fight with it if you are smart and keep moving. I have a screenshot where I took out two PzIIIs with one shot each... I was near the AT guns and they parked themselves front-on at the road gap near the center tank pit on the 2nd line. Neither knew what hit them.

Germans won some, and the Russians won some. I must say, a russian team playing with organization and team work, congealing a defense around the "2nd Line" and winning, is a thing of beauty!
+ Yep. I played back to back round the other day where the Russians won both times. It CAN be done.

Upvote 0
more hours with this map yesterday; man, the pinacle of frustration, like hearding cats, when trying to get a russian team to play some defense. jeebus.

seems like a lot of players are still learning the "sweet spots" for the cap zones. Case in point, the Village CP. you gotta get IN that damn building to cap/re-cap fellas. hard to recap with a bunch of tanks. ;)

Upvote 0
I thought it would a nice twist to the attack to force attackers into the house, no tank camping. May do the same with the 2nd line as well. If you noticed, the farm is all interior space except the open 'U' which puts you at peril in a vehicle anyway.

Yes!, I did notice! :) I pull up in my PzIII and pull a quick 2-point turn, and back into the "U" and hope for the best!! :D

I agree with the overall plan, to make some of the areas infantry-only cap-able. makes alot of sense. I also like the suggestions above re making those tunnels a cap point. would make for some interesting fights. if implemented, every bit of the 60 minutes on the map would then be necessary for the Germans.

this map is saving RO for me, well, after so manhy hours playing it that is. :cool:

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of changing mapping gears while it's still early on the next project... I may be moving to a follow-up/part II for 'Berezina'. I managed to lay out the terrain and some basic landmarks in one evening. Objectives are spaced about 150 meters apart. It looks interesting and for the next couple nights I will be further developing this map.

Here is an overhead of the CoD/UO map. For RO I think it would come in around 800 meters x 400 meters of playable area. A good bit smaller than 'Berezina' and a bit more infantry-centric. It would be nearly 1/3 more narrow than this example, cutting out the upper section...
smouo.jpg

The Germans would be attacking from the left. I would also move the rail depot from the far right to just east of the main village, pushing the stream and trench works further to the right and finishing the eastern edge off with a farm and some out-buildings.

Upvote 0
hey slyk if you guys need someone to get the bt-7 finished like interior or anything thats missing modeling wise i can help just let me know. . :)

Please PM Lex. He will know what might need done better than me. I know the biggest wait now is for the skin but there may be some modelling stuff that at a minimum you could consult him on. We would all appreciate any input that helps speed this along.

Upvote 0
I just gave Berezina Beta 2 a go.
All I can say is good job! It is one of the best custom maps out so far!
It actually requires some tactics and teamwork!
But I would like to make a suggestion: There were T-34/76's around at this time. They were made in March of 1941 (model 1941) It'd be nice to see a few limited T-34's in that map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I considered the T34 here but don't feel it will be right in this situation. It will be a big advantage to the Russians and is not generally thought of as a defensive tank...nor is the BT7, I know. IF I complete another CA map like this, I will probably include very limited numbers of the T34/76. As for this map, I won't be.

glad to hear it. they (the T-34s) were just not around in enough numbers until late Fall of 1941 to jutify their appearance in a June/July 1941 map.

good call.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont think that you should change the tanks at all. There is quite a bit of balance already I think. Adding more tanks would just take away from the CA feel of the map. I was playing as Russian last night we took a beating the first few rounds but if you get some talkers in there the whole thing turns around The last two rounds we won almost held one at first line for 30mins but it took alot of team work. Winning as the russians is possible and the odds are supposed to be against you the desparation defense is alot of fun. Cant wait for the the next Slyk map.

Upvote 0
Russians should stay in their holes there is way better cover and the germans have to advance through open fields of fire to get to the objectives. Russians should also protect thier tanks from being satcheled. The Sooner Russians realize they are on a defensive map the better. Why go to the farm after it has been capped? You cant get it back and your own guys will shoot you because they cant tell who you are and you are in the expected line of approach.

Slyk,
it may have been suggested already but would it be possible to make a cutout in the hulldown postitions for the KV I hate driving up there and then not have anything to do except watch for satchelers.

Upvote 0
Some of the trees block tank shots, it's espeically annoying when it's a defoliated tree and you try to shoot between the branches. You can see each other, but not shoot each other. Is this because of the type of model/mesh used?
+ That's a model thing. If I turn them 'off' your shells will go through the trunks and offer no cover at all.

Can you do the same thing with a blocking volume? Make the tree "off" but put in a blocking volume where the trunk goes?

It worked for the tree lines with the bushes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.