• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1C announces some RO2 features on the gamecom

OK, mate, now you are starting to think it through a little more, rather than just reacting :)

There may well be features that can be seen as being related to "mainstream shooters". But here is the tricky one for us: for us to go on building games that hit the realism and authenticity buttons, we have to make money. That needs more people playing the game. So, what we have to try and achieve (in both the marketing and the gameplay) is to bring more people toour style of gaming - and not too much of doing it the other way around.

The big one is to make that gameplay "accessible". That can be done, but is tricky enough. We also need to add "more" to the game. As someone said, there is no point just porting Ostfront to UE3. So, we have listened to you guys over the last few years - what is it that people have asked for, that we can now try and address... ?

Bullet penetration, mantling, climbing have all been mentioned
Command systems
More gametypes, more variety
Some form of single player

The list gets large quickly :) And no way will everything everyone has asked for make it in. Even we don't know the final answers yet - still trying things out!

So - watch this space. When the time comes, go for a slot on the Beta test :) In the meantime, semper fi!

Thanks for that post Wilsonam. I really was just looking for an up front honest answer like that.

More players is definitely a concern and not just to you guys because of money. Haha it's a pain for all of us remaining fans too to be forced to play 24/7 Danzig or face high ping euro servers. But I believe there is a way to reign in "mainstream" players by demonstrating awesome new features not done before that still are realistic at the core. Market the new features these mainstream players aren't used to. Show them why RO is different. Then when they get their hands on the game make an engaging tutorial to show them the features. The core gameplay doesn't need to be sacrificed. Look at ArmA's popularity. With all the WW2 shooters you have to display why RO is practically an entirely different WW2 compared to what the mainstream fan is used to. Don't just make what they're used to to pull them in.

Cater to your core fanbase first and figure out a way to convert the mainstream second because at the end of the day it's going to be guys like me (despite all my yelling) that will be here day one and showing all our friends how great RO is and why they should be playing it. You have a hold on the WW2 realism market with a hardcore group of fans. Concentrate on making that core group grow and you'll see continued support for as long as you're around (think Blizzard). Be wary of reaching out to the mainstream crowd and, in the process, ending up alienating everyone.

And again, the honesty is much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Cater to your core fanbase first and figure out a way to convert the mainstream second because at the end of the day it's going to be guys like me (despite all my yelling) that will be here day one and showing all our friends how great RO is and why they should be playing it. You have a hold on the WW2 realism market with a hardcore group of fans. Concentrate on making that core group grow and you'll see continued support for as long as you're around (think Blizzard). Be wary of reaching out to the mainstream crowd and, in the process, ending up alienating everyone.

Bingo. I love the TWI guys, but after seeing gaming evolve how it has over the last 15 years, I'm a bit cynical.

The unlockable stuff really worries me. For one, the point-whoring in RO was already a bit of a problem, with people running after MGers just to get that precious five point resupply boost. God help us if it turns out that there's actual gameplay advantages or fancy weapons/uniforms linked to points or whatever stats.

If the "Heroes" stuff is just to pad your player profile, like some kind of achievement-on-steroids stuff, that would be fine. Hell, if the heroes get to carry an extra belt of ammo or get to be able to say, hip fire the MG-42, that's fine. But access to special weapons that give them a decisive advantage? That's a problem. I'm also not too keen on giving players "extra abilities", even if it's more stamina or whatever. You're supposed to be an average grunt, not some ressurecting elite soldier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the unlock for being able to even try to get in the sniper slot is that you have to have an accuracy with the bolt action rifle of >60% then I'd count that unlock as realism ;)

to prevent people not taking risky shots b/c of this, also have something like "at least 5 bolt rifle kills of at least 150 yds per round with 60% acc" as well

Upvote 0
I'm kinda sorta fine with the heroes/ranking part, but ONLY if it actually means something (as others have pointed out). Only a certain percentage of players should be allowed each rank/hero status. I want to see a hero and go 'damn they must be good', instead of 'ok you're one of the vast amount of people who play this game all the time'.

The ranking needs to be very realistic, though. Only the low ranks should be attainable...I don't want to see a Generalfeldmarschall running around with the grunts. Just have the ranks that would normally be out fighting.

As for unlocks, I think it'd be better to just have an X% chance that you'll end up with a rare weapon.

...actually, no. I'm not fine with this at all. I tried. All this will do is cause point/stat grubbing. The lack of this is what kept me with Ostfront. I want to play for a team that cares about one thing: winning. I do not want to just 'be there' with some other players who are concentrating on their own personal goals.

It will remove any reason to communicate. You'll end up with a bunch of people off doing their own thing...caring little (if any) for their team's success. Just like every other game.

At least make it so you don't gain any beneficial stats/points towards ranking/whatever when you lose a match...give some kind of artificial incentive to win, since you so easily bury real incentive with self-oriented hamster-wheel type activities.

I understand you want money, but come on :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I have faith in TWI. I have friends who played this game and it was extremely hard for them to get into it, most gave up on it fairly quickly. RO:Ost in someways was clunky and the learning curve was very steep. There was no training to give new people a chance to learn the game. I'm super pumped for this game. I've been playing RO since the day it came out as a mod and probably put more hours of play time into it then any other game I've played. Change scares people but this is TWI not EA or some big corporate company. Everyone whos calling out TWI is jumping the gun. I can't wait to see what's going to be shown at Gamescom hopefully Kotaku who's going to be at the show will get some rad coverage of the game maybe even some video. I just want to give some respect out to the devs for making my most beloved game and now the sequel. You guys rock. :cool:

Upvote 0
I feel that as of now, TWI has a pretty good hold on a niche market. The plan it seems is to keep that niche market (us...) and open up a few things to expand into the more mainstream market; to lure in new players and show them the goodness that is Red Orchestra. If they go to far, they can end up alienating a large portion of their current fans (and maybe loose them) and then find themselves struggling to compete with the likes of COD on Infinity Ward/Treyarch ground, where their players actually prefer the more gamey/arcady features that those companies offer.

If they keep the core gameplay and expand upon it, that is a big plus. It seems they are doing just this and more with the features they are including; adding the things many of us have been requesting over the past few years. That is great. For the # of minutes in a round I am playing a map, I can be immersed in all that goodness.

The extra 'fluff' of perks, achievements, stats, and other unlockables seems to worry many of us. I think most of us trust TWI to do the right thing, but in the back of our minds we are thinking "please please don't go too far with these new features". It is only natural for us to worry, we have found a good thing, and we don't want to see Red Orchestra turn into any average (~insert name here~) game. As they have stated, TWI is aware of this and I am sure want the same as us, but they face the challenge of adding more players. I for one am just hoping that the inclusion of these new features attracts more players as well, but their actual impact in the game is subtle/minimal.

Other things such as the inclusion of single player is great, but ultimately will not be what keeps me playing the game. I also assume that they will release the SDK when the game is released, or soon afterwards which would be great as well.

I do have a question though. Are there any features that are included in the current Ostfront that will be removed for Heroes of Stalingrad? By this I mean "dive to prone" or "lean keys" or other options such as mg barrel changes? I must admit, I have come to rely upon many of these features :p

Upvote 0
I do have a question though. Are there any features that are included in the current Ostfront that will be removed for Heroes of Stalingrad? By this I mean "dive to prone" or "lean keys" or other options such as mg barrel changes? I must admit, I have come to rely upon many of these features :p

mhhh..why whould they. I really cant think of any features that are in RO:OST that whould need to be scraped alltogether. The only things that come to to mind are more exploits than real features ( like the dead on hipshot, popup monkeys ect...).

Upvote 0
Thank god not all "remaining fans" are living in the US....:rolleyes: The game was never big in NA to begin with. Maybe RO:HOS can change that.;)

well, that is partly america's fault, but also partly TW's fault. RO just seemed like it was too "unamerican" to a lot of mainstream gamers. can't blame TW for that of course.....i mean, i was hooked by the game because that is what i looked for in a game, but most americans want to see all the flash that comes with a game and just more of what they are used to. the setting only being on eastern front, the realistic gameplay etc.. didn't seem to attract as many americans. however, it's not like TW really promoted the game enough in america. what worries an american like myself that loves TW and their games, is that even though TW is based in the USA, as seen most recently with KF, it seems like they are pretty much catering to europeans because RO didn't take off as much in the US than it did accross the pond. KF seemed to be a big hit.....but again mostly in europe. by using a european publisher and only boxing games like KF in europe, of course TW will get more euro players than american players. if that's just want they want then cool, but i'd think that TW would be like any other company and want to reach the most potential customers, which means drawing in more NA players.

i for one just hope TW has not given up on the western hemisphere. it's a huge market and ROHOS could draw people in so long as it is marketed well. it might be an uphill battle because of the setting of the game and the realistic style of it, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. if you look at some of the new features listed to be in ROHOS, it already seems like the game might be headed more towards the "american" style in efforts to attract more na players. that could be a good thing. if TW can find that unique blend to please all crowds, then they've got themselves a goldmine.

so other ways to promote in NA. what about going to a convention in the US? make sure the game is boxed internationally like was done with OST? hello, tv commericials? you have a nice ad running on TV and i'll bet you'd get twice the amount of buyers. so many americans will buy something just because they saw it on TV. of course advertising costs money, and smaller companies like TW have their work cut out competing against mainstream companies. hopefully KF brought in enough to help. right now, to me at least, there doesn't seem to be enough effort going into promoting HOS in north america. hopefully that will change and hopefully ROHOS will be able to bring in and keep more NA players than ROOST did.

i mean, without those NA people, you could never have those "fun" intercon matches!!! wouldn't you miss them? :D

Upvote 0
Mmm..Interesting thread but I agree with TWI that in order for the RO games to be more successful (so that TWI can continue to make them) then they must be more accessible to players who would not usually look at a tactical shooter..I like many of the ideas that TWI have introduced for ROHOs and i am looking forward to seeing how the evolution of RO works out with this next installment..:D

Upvote 0
Well upon the first day of this forum being opened I mentioned the game being created for consoles (POSSIBLY), I was chastised. I then mentioned that the reason they'd have to change many of the features in game or add them was to make more money and make things easier for new players, once again chastised. Well it seems my original post pretty much hit EVERYTHING right on the head. Now to predict the future once again.

TWI knows what they are doing. Just wait for the game to be released. People constantly say they want this or that, then when it arrives there are some that do not want it. You can not please everyone.

If the game plays exactly how RO does currently, and what I mean by this is the accuracy, the more realistic feel then you are getting exactly what you are used to. You can ignore all the other features, if you don't like stats, don't look at them. If you don't like ranking, don't look at them. They added the achievements to RO for Steam and I couldn't tell you a single one I've ever gotten and could really care less, it hasn't changed the way I play and I've still yet to pick another weapon to try and get them.

I will ALWAYS be the guy carrying the BOLT or what is known as WORSE gun in game, the lowest of the low. I play for the challenge.

When they release RO:HOS, I'll simply get in game and kick arse and take names as I've done in any other FPS. Do I care about a rank I get doing so (NO), do I care about stats (YOU BET YA). Do I care about winning (YOU BETTER WELL DAMN BELIEVE IT). That's exactly how I play now and have in every other FPS for the last 20+ years.

With stats you can now see who is point whoring by constantly feeding the MG, who truly is helping a team by capping, who is doing most of the killing. People want their names in lights it's the nature of the beast and to say it will make people sit back and watch their % or accuracy (WAKE UP). You can also see who has a winning percentage and know who truly means something to a team. Sure I care about my individual stats but with great stats individually it can ONLY do one thing and that is help the team and of course lead to WINNING. Capping and Killing is what the game is about and I doubt that is going to change. It also takes Teamwork to do those things mentioned. VOIP in game will also help as it does now.

If we as veterans just play the game as we do now you won't even notice a difference, those that are good now at doing what they do will also be those same guys doing it all over again in the new game.

It will just be the same old thing you currently see now in the RO forums, almost like a broken record.

Examples: I'll be back bragging and so will the other good players, I'll be shamelessly plugging our server and helping any newbs that need it. It will simply be the same game new and improved. The fluff can be ignored and will not make a single difference to most veterans if they feel the same way I do.

See you all on the battlefield. I'll be there with bells on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will ALWAYS be the guy carrying the BOLT or what is known as WORSE gun in game, the lowest of the low. I play for the challenge.

You should play with a pistol then in ro :p , the bolt currently is one of the best weapons in the game. Just as good as semis, smgs, snipers, mgs. Personally due to its fov, power and accuracy (and supreme superiority in melee) i think its the best weapon in ro, if you can live with the slow rate of fire that is.

Plz dont discriminate my love ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should play with a pistol then in ro :p , the bolt currently is one of the best weapons in the game. Just as good as semis, smgs, snipers, mgs. Personally due to its fov, power and accuracy (and supreme superiority in melee) i think its the best weapon in ro, if you can live with the slow rate of fire that is.

Plz dont discriminate my love ^^

Bolt is every pro's choice. One shot kill just makes it a death ray combined with a good hipshoot skill. Beginner will always hate it, but it gets more attractive as you get more experienced.

I agree with the pistol^^ As an MG guy I could defend myself pretty good with it, attack is something else though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is the reason why I enjoy Ost Front so much. It is really accessible. You can't make it more accessible than it already is. I think most RO fans would agree.

It takes less than 5 clicks and I can be in a game and know what to do.
Not THAT sort of "accessible". We mean that people can find easier ways to learn to play the game, so that it doesn't get a reputation for being "too hard" from the get-go. We want to ease off the big learning curve...

And before people start: no, that does NOT mean dumbing down the game!

Mind you, it can be really odd swapping between testing KF and testing Heroes. Very different pacing and style :)

Upvote 0
Bswearer, the reason a lot of Americans aren't interested in RO is because there is no playable Americans in the game. Generally, people like to play as their own country. Russians like to play as Russians, Canadians would like to play as Canadians, and so on.

Personally, I don't care which side I play on, as most people on these forums do, but your average person won't take as much interest in a game that does not feature their country.

RO being Russians and Germans explains why there is a larger amount of European players.

Not THAT sort of "accessible". We mean that people can find easier ways to learn to play the game, so that it doesn't get a reputation for being "too hard" from the get-go. We want to ease off the big learning curve...

And before people start: no, that does NOT mean dumbing down the game!

Mind you, it can be really odd swapping between testing KF and testing Heroes. Very different pacing and style :)

Ok, I see what you mean. I read somewhere that you planned on implementing some training. This sounds interesting. An official shooting range map is a must have. :D

Does anyone happen to know of any shooting range map for RO OST? I know there is one in a mod I downloaded, but I want to use the Russian/German weapons.

Upvote 0