• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What scenario do YOU want for Red Orchestra 3 ?

Hey, I'm with you as far as medium to long range fighting (which is why I prefer rifleman), but do you honestly think the average current or future RO customer would be? And with that in mind, do you think TWI will make 300 meter long open fields for the players to run thru or stick with smaller range maps similar to Barracks and Apartments?

Heck, I remember even before RO2 was released and they were showing pictures of the Grain Elevator. I commented on the out of place piles of pallets the mapper put in the map to give cover to the attackers and shorten firefight ranges. In reality the defending Russians wouldn't have left all sort of cover for the advancing Germans. I called the mapper out (I forget who it was) and he jumped all over me (paraphrase) "You need more cover for players, its realistic, you need short range action blah blah blah..." That tells me that those type of players will be catered to. I'm not saying in a future RO3 my type of players will be ignored, but they won't be a priority or even a secondary concern.
Well yeah I don't know if they would do it or how well it could be done. I'm just saying if it were done right it would work.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm with you as far as medium to long range fighting (which is why I prefer rifleman), but do you honestly think the average current or future RO customer would be? And with that in mind, do you think TWI will make 300 meter long open fields for the players to run thru or stick with smaller range maps similar to Barracks and Apartments?

Heck, I remember even before RO2 was released and they were showing pictures of the Grain Elevator. I commented on the out of place piles of pallets the mapper put in the map to give cover to the attackers and shorten firefight ranges. In reality the defending Russians wouldn't have left all sort of cover for the advancing Germans. I called the mapper out (I forget who it was) and he jumped all over me (paraphrase) "You need more cover for players, its realistic, you need short range action blah blah blah..." That tells me that those type of players will be catered to. I'm not saying in a future RO3 my type of players will be ignored, but they won't be a priority or even a secondary concern.

Oddly this is also one of the main complaints about custom maps that I have read here and (yes forgive me) the steam forums :eek: The "lack of cover" complaint or "it looks too bare" complaint or "needs more stuff" comments. So a well made and researched map needs to have awkward and random brick walls as well as perfectly placed 1 meter high boxes, piles of rubble and oil drums scattered throughout for mounting heavy weapons on. I did it on my last map and I am doing on my current map, simply because it is needed to keep people alive and apparently interested in the game.

On a second note, for RO3... why not stick with WW2 , but expand it. Instead of pigeon holeing yourself to a single battle or theater, have numerous factions and weapons from all over. Eastern front, Western Front, Africa, Pacific, Italy. I know the time involved in adding 6 or 7 countries with all of their weapons would be very time consuming, but this could really open up a "world wide" interest and the modding / map making possibilities would be huge.

Upvote 0
...have numerous factions and weapons from all over. Eastern front, Western Front, Africa, Pacific, Italy. I know the time involved in adding 6 or 7 countries with all of their weapons would be very time consuming.

Time consuming is a understatemant! :rolleyes:
I totally wish that this would happen, but to be realistic, TWI needs to be a bigger developer to achive this.

Companys like Activision who made COD World at war had this kind of manpower...

Upvote 0
Any poll like this without the option "something else" is flawed.

What makaes Rising Storm fun for me are the vegetation and different terrain. Wintery Stalingrad is just too dull in that department so I doubt desert warfare would be any different. I mean what kind of maps are you going to make in the desert?

Vietnam and Korea would be fun as would WW1. I think if they're going to stick with WW2, The Winter War or the Continuation War would provide some fun mechanics: rather diverse maps (forest, towns, villages, fields etc), ski troops, molotov coctails and russian tanks. And yes, I'm biased :)

Though I agree that Eastern Front provides enough content for the possible third RO though I hope they won't limit it to one big battle like they did with RO2.

Upvote 0
Though I agree that Eastern Front provides enough content for the possible third RO though I hope they won't limit it to one big battle like they did with RO2.

Agreed. The East Front is HUGE. Covering the Central and Eastern Europe, mountains, steppe, plains, cities, marshes, all the seasons, villages, etc etc etc.
I think in RO1 for the East Front there was like 300+ maps. Awesome!

Upvote 0
... so I doubt desert warfare would be any different. I mean what kind of maps are you going to make in the desert? .
Towns, large craggy cliff-faces, open desert planes with the ol' undulating dunes and savannahs (dry grassy and hilly). There's enough there for variety in terms of map design. Although if you don't like sand you're screwed. :p

Upvote 0
Towns, large craggy cliff-faces, open desert planes with the ol' undulating dunes and savannahs (dry grassy and hilly). There's enough there for variety in terms of map design. Although if you don't like sand you're screwed. :p
Well, I guess there are some hills, cliffs, huts, trees and shrubberies but in general it seems rather dull :) I'm sure they could make it exciting and I would definately buy that game but it's not my first choice.

Upvote 0
Any poll like this without the option "something else" is flawed.

No its not.
I did not include a "something else" option cause that is a waste of votes in my opinion.

Its not smart to vote for something that a dev who looks into this thread cannot verify.
You waste your vote for some totally unrealistic wishes like Zulu War,
and 50 individual suggestions never have the chance of being realized.

So its far better to present 5 scenarios who have a REALISTIC chance of being realized
than 50 seperate which never ever will be realized... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0