• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unscientific Pricing Poll - What would you pay for KF2?

Unscientific Pricing Poll - What would you pay for KF2?

• $9.99

Votes: 22 3.5%
  • $19.99

Votes: 93 14.7%
  • $29.99

Votes: 244 38.7%
  • $39.99

Votes: 158 25.0%
  • $49.99

Votes: 61 9.7%
  • $59.99

Votes: 53 8.4%

• Total voters
I can't say I have a use for your father (unless he likes working on a 2-acre back yard) or your soul (unless I can get a good price for it) - but the rest might be the beginnings of an interesting deal...

Alan is that you?

How about you adopt me, so I can do the private testing? xD

Besides i doubt you have anyone testing KF2 on a dual core, 2 GB RAM with gforce gt220 xD

Upvote 0
5shiFPs.jpg

Adjust for inflation.

Upvote 0
And again, if you compare what a cinematic big budget shooter has to have to meet expectations, it makes arena shooters with smaller, less scripted levels, less voice acting, 3rd party tech and outsourcing, less multi-national development teams, simpler localization, marketing, q&a managers...I mean have you ever watched the entire end credits of a AAA release? Assassin's Creed Revelations ran for over 20 minutes. Tell me a game like that doesn't have significantly more overhead than a game like KF2 from a company like TWI.

Single player games like assassins creed are a overall low value for the $60, compared to the dollar-per-hour equivalent of multiplayer games.
Do they cost more? Yes, but any single player game's value is limited by how much "true game time" value it gives, which is usually less that of most multiplayer games. I'm sure your aware that a single-player FPS usually has a run through time of 12 hours on the high side, and with re-playability, that runs into somewhere under 20 or 40 hours. Compared to hundreds in good multiplayer games.

From the perspective of cost/benefit by dollers-per-hour a multiplayer game is a better value than a single player one, and a good multiplayer game is a better value than a bad multiplayer game.
Set it stone? No. It can't be a solid rule given the varied types of game-play within titles of different genres.

But using the AAA FPS titles as a base, of what usually amounts to a $60+$60(DLC) or $60+$30(DLC) cost/benefit calculation, the combination single-player/multiplayer games are usually a worse value than a straight $60+$0 multiplayer game.

Because the single player is generally just there to justify the occlusion of more multiplayer content, to be sold later, and therefor sell more content overall.

With COD as an example, if there was the option to buy a cheaper version of a COD game with only multiplayer, then most people would go for that. But then the company can't package you the single player game you don't really care about. They also couldn't sell you the multiplayer content as DLC later, making even more money.

It would be a lot better for the consumer if they're was no single-player version, and instead they simply got the multiplayer game and all DLC for $60. But then the amount of "game" sold is cut in half. But if they give you all the single player game, with half the multiplayer game, (maps) then sell you other half of the multiplayer game, their net income doubles. Screws the consumer but that's a secondary issue.

If you're looking at what a game should cost based on what the game costs, then you're coming at it from the perspective of a developer or publisher.
Not a consumer.
A consumer makes his decision of what to buy based on it's value, and this is generally based on how much good game time he gets out if it.

If you really enjoy KF2, you will get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of it.
If you really enjoy the next single-player FPS game that comes out, you will get 20-40 hours of game play out of it.
And as a consumer, that 40 hours isn't as good of a value as the hundreds from the KF2 game.

Obviously graphical fidelity comes into affect the price. Just as you'll pay more for a better game, you'll pay more for a better looking game. This make any indie game comparison moot.

From their shareholders perspective, they're both problems. Ideally gamers would pay $60 in perpetuity until every last person who wanted it paid full price. From the gamer's perspective, it's a problem (overpriced games) with an eventual solution (they're forced to put them on sale quickly after release because games don't sell for months on end at full price unless they're CoD or Skyrim or some other breakout success. Which is not most games.)

You don't need to be a breakout success to provide a good value to your customers, and make your shareholders to your company money. So I don't see how this is relevant.

Furthermore, sure, it's "ideal" for consumers to pay full price for a game in perpetuity, and it's bad if they wait. Especially if they wait for a review review, and the game is bad.
But neither is required.
What is best for both parties (producers and consumers) is the producer delivering a fun, addictive (meaning you play it a lot) and graphically adequate game for $60.
And that in perpetuity is what is in actuality, a realistically optimistic state of being for a game series, because it perpetuates the perpetuity of the cycle.

I want things to be priced for what they're worth at the time of release, not on a default assumption of a price point, which is what the AAA market has done traditionally (has gotten better somewhat as they've woken up to the idea of smaller titles.)

In a perfect world everything would be priced what its worth at the time.
But because there is no god who comes down and perfectly prices everything it's up to people to follow the reviews or reputable reviewers.

Is a game worth what it's priced at time of release? The reviewers will tell you. Is it worth it after a small price drop? They'll vocalize it. Is it only worth getting it when it's $5? They'll let you know.

There are times when your $60 gets you an amazing value and is a great deal. Those tend to become the breakout successes.
There are times when it bites you in the *** to spend $60 on a game. And when you do, it's your fault. No one put a gun to your head and told you to buy a game without looking at reviews first.

Furthermore: Things are never really "priced what their worth," they are priced what people will realistically pay for them, with the assessment made of what is the largest amount of money that can be made considering the price and realistic volume of sales (and obviously the impact the price will have on volume.)

I don't want TWI to start to assume that because they have a fan base and they've been pretty successful that no one would notice they're playing that game now too. Fans going "I'LL PAY YOU $60 RIGHT NOW" makes that more likely. Would it be wrong? If there's demand, then honestly no.

First of all, the people at any company, including TWI, aren't going to suddenly turn crazy with dollar-symbols in their eyes just because they are successful.
That's a "progressive"/marxist view of the world.
There are famous and rich celebrities who don't pay their gardeners, drive drunk and shop lift. Being financially successful doesn't change if they do that or if they don't do that. They do it, because those are the kind of people they are.

Secondly, "that game too"...
You mean that "game" of releasing at product at a market standardized, $60 begging price point?
Or do you mean the AAA strategy of selling half-a-game for $60 now and half-a-game for $60 later, or asking for $120 for half-a-game now with the promise of getting the rest of the game later (not including further DLC)?
Because let me tell you: one is not equal to the other.

But that's what this poll is about, and you are in a minority opinion. People want the game. Fewer people want to just give them top dollar for it. That could be because they're cheap, they want TWI to prove they can make a game worth $60 before they'll pay it out or because they honestly don't think KF2 is worth that.

People always want a better deal than they should get. That's human nature.
Furthermore, the poll isn't representative of what people will actually pay. I'm damn sure that most people, who select the "$29.99" pole option wouldn't think twice about buying the full, none EA version for $39.99. And I'm while I'm sure those same people would like to pay $30, that doesn't mean they won't pay $50 or $60.

The poll really shouldn't be called "what would you pay for KF2" it should be called "what would you like to pay for KF2?"
I'm damn sure that whatever the price is, virtually nobody who cares enough about the game to create an account and visit the forum on a regular basis, is going to skip out on the game because it costs them $10 or $20 more than what they selected as their polling option.
Particularly if the (trusted) reviews come out glowing, telling them that its easily worth the purchase price.

And as for "they want TWI to prove they can make a game worth $60 before they'll pay it out" that should be everyone's attitude, including my own.

In fact, you didn't. I guess I was reacting to all the swearing at AAA games and companies and publishers. It didn't exactly seem even handed, which is why I made the point.

You stated before than I hold indie titles as some kind of gifts from the gods ["You also act as though indies are immune to not giving players real value for their money."], and then when I counter that by asking for statements from myself as to when I've ever said that, you're reply is that it was inferred because when I talk about Electronic Arts or Ubisosft or Activision, I don't walk on eggshells?
Making a point, by blindly saying someone must believe X-Y-or-Z and that X-Y-or-Z is obviously false, is an inept way of making a "point," and not a way that I find to be an honest way of doing it.

Because being snide to me then quoting yourself like you're Moses on the Mount was so much better?

If your going to say something obvious like "the sky is blue" or "I feel it's right to wait for a review before buying something" then yes, your going to get sarcastic comments. Here and everywhere else in life.

You are reflex telling TWI they deserve the maximum price on their game, because they just DO, because that's how good games HAPPEN. For someone who talks like they're super measured in their buying choices, you're acting like a zealot.

Again, I want a quote for this.
I have stated, here and everywhere else, that you wait for the review before you buy the game. I am obviously not against that.

What I am against, is the assumption that the game will not be worth just as much as the other games on the market. There is obviously no reviews to support that.
Indeed, if you look at what TWI has delivered, versus the trash that has come, and is coming from well known garbage trucks of developers (EA, Ubi, and Activision, NOT THAT I THINK INDIE GAMES ARE GIFTS OF THE GODS JUST TO BE CLEAR!!!) then I think the assumption should be that the game will be worth the standard asking price as any other, and more than most.
That assumption, ought to be tempered with caution and that assumption re-diagnosed or confirmed once the reviews are released.

And yes, I do think that caring about what you buy and how much you buy it for because of the message it sends to the people who make it IS important enough to state.

Careful with framing your opponent.
I've never said you or anyone else should not say anything.
I will take what has been said and argue for it or against it.

I know how much overhead they don't have compared to people asking the exact same price for their game.

Actually I don't think you know much overhead they do or do not have, you can speculate, or a**-u-me, but do you know?
Nope.
I'm pretty sure only if you got the two accountants from both companies and they compared notes that anyone would really know, and even then, I don't think they'd agree with each other.

Also, again what something costs is not the determining factor to what something is worth. Especially when dollar-per-hour of great game play is what you base your value upon.

I actually agree with you on this to a point. TWI does good things with its money and that's a reason to give them more. And that's why I'm willing to pay them more than I did for KF. How much more? That's what we're "debating."

But this guy: http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg[url]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg[/URL]

Is not a gamer thinking rationally. If you start treating a dev like this consistently, I think the likelihood you start turning them into a AAA dev who does the stuff we don't like becomes a lot more likely.

And I would disagree with that. Your assuming that you know the motivations of this developer, TWI, or of producers in general. I can garentee you motivations are different from producer to producer, especially of art, as are motivations from person to person.

In this case, I go with what I feel, and that is: knowing what kind of game KF is I'd feel weird about paying $60 for it. Because if I'm completely honest, KF2 is the first game from TWI that even looks remotely like a AAA game and I'm really happy about that. But I'm not about to go "Well guys, you've reached the top of the mountain, here's your $60 and let me know when I can pre-order the Season Pass." For all we know, that's all the game ends up being, is a graphical overhaul for the exact same gameplay, and you just paid 200% more on top of the original for what's mostly new graphics and aesthetics, some additional enemies, perks and weapons. KF is good, but it's a pretty narrowly constructed game. And I'm not going to assume it has more depth just because it looks like it does, and pay all the dollars based on that assumption.

No one is talking about seasons pass here.
They've already shown a revamped perk selection system that's far and away more in-depth than the previous title. There is a reason they showed us video of game play and not just screenshots.

Also, if you think that the game play in KF is narrowly constructed, I'd like to see exactly what the heck none-narrowly constructed game play looks like. You sourced Assassins Creed as a game worth $60, or at least brought up it's development cost.
Your going to tell me that game, with the same 5 side mission and NPC stalking isn't a narrowly constructed game? Almost any game can be described in a single sentence when you get right down to it.

Mom: What this Assassin game about?
Kid: You are an assassin and you use stealth tactics on missions to kill bad people until you killed all the important bad people."

Mom: Whats this Killing Floor game about?
Kid: "Its about peace and love and promoting feminism and gender equality."
Mom: "Ok I'll buy you that one."

I didn't say that but thanks for doing your own bit of projection on to me.

Pot calling the kettle black here...

It is the trend of over the last few years though that I buy way fewer $60 games and way more cheaper indie games because how much I enjoy what I'm playing and the care and attention they have to them does feel more in line with what I've paid. Bioshock Infinite, for example, was so basic it was almost depressing, once you got over the visuals. Especially when you'd been following information on it prior to release.

So, let me get this straight, you think that Bioshock Infinite wasn't worth $60? Regardless of how masterfully that game was created? And the graphics? I think being at the top of of the Metacritic review board is a pretty good sign that it was worth the money. I know it's one of the best single player games I've played since Half-Life 2.

To be blunt, you appear jaded and don't care about graphics. You seem to prefer single player games regardless of graphics that only cost you $5-$10. You don't get much value out of amazing graphics. You prefer something cheaper as opposed to something better. And your argument for something that is better, which everyone likes, but not cheaper, is that "its not that much better to me, so it should be cheaper." But that's not the way it works.

Then why are you ragging on everyone else in your angry rant post about the choice they're making for themselves as individuals? You don't get to be a jerk and then back pedal to "we're all special snowflakes."

First of all, if I vehemently disagree with the options selected by users of a pole, that isn't going to be correctly interpretive of people's actions in the first place, I have a right to do so.

Secondly, I'm not being a jerk, but I have no problem with being sarcastic.
Thirdly, I've never stated that we're all special snowflakes. That's so absurd that re-reading my post I still have no idea where the hell you pulled that from.

Are you on the TWI development team? Know what they paid for mocap? Know how cost-effectively they enhanced the engine over the last couple of years? How much better or faster their art pipeline is? How much more they're either paying the same artist for getting better, or how much more they're paying new artists? I'd like you to refer back to your own statement about assumptions vs. facts based on the visible evidence.

Referring back to my own statement about OPINIONS (not assuptions) vs. Facts based on ARGUMENTS, that you've somehow managed to confuse within one response...

Your saying that games aren't worth the $60 price tag just on better graphics.
Okay.
But then shouldn't the same thing apply to a better or existent single player campaign as opposed to a multiplayer game that delivers more hours of game-play?.
Or does Assassins Creed have less "narrow game-play" because it has cut-scenes?

You also say that games like Assassins Creed that require much more work. But they deliver a relatively smaller number of hours of game play than multiplayer games do.
So how are they worth more?
That sounds astoundingly subjective, unless you just get tired of MP games faster than single player games.

And then I'll say: I see a better lighting engine, mocap animations, weapon animations recorded at 200 FPS, new skeletons, gib system, better textures and the blood decal tech.

I said I'm willing to pay them more than KF but that's commensurate on how far I feel things have come compared to KF. KF2 is definitely a stunning looking game. It also looks and plays exactly like KF from what we've seen. They didn't add a SP campaign or new ways to do MP that we know of. The game has grown laterally rather than vertically. And I'm opening my wallet more to the same degree.

No one is telling you to spend your money on a game that just looks better.
And do you really think with the amount of time that has gone by since KF1, TWI said, "Look, this game is like 7 years old, lets release a sequel that just looks better, but changes absolutely nothing in terms of the game-play."

I don't think it's realistic to suggest that.
They've said it was a sequel, not a re-make or HD edition.
Does it look similar to KF1? Obviously they have similarities. Its a sequel. Not a new Intellectual Property. But it can look similar without being the same.
And the game-play has obviously changed since KF1. And the reviewers will say if the changes are substantial or not. If the changes don't dramatically improve game-play, the reviewers will tell you.
But why are you assuming that the game-play hasn't been dramatically changed? Or that there is no new forms of content for the game, yet unrevealed?
And exactly how different do you expect a sequel to be? And isn't part of the expectation of a sequel that it takes the previous game strengths, fine tunes them, and then adds new stuff?

Then maybe we're not as far apart as either of us believe.

Generally true.

But just because KF2 looks great doesn't not mean I'm going to stampede from $20 for the original to $60 for the sequel. That seems like a fan reaction rather than an informed buyer reaction. I want TWI to succeed and I have no doubt that they will. But there's a limit to how much I'm just going to throw at them.

All I'm saying an addictive multiplayer game that provides hundreds of hours of game-play and looks amazing is worth $60, which is half of what BF4, COD or Evolve really ask for.

And even compared to games that might have cost more development for some reason but provide less hours of game-play like Assassins Creed are not worth as much, in a definable doller-per-hour way.

Upvote 0
You know what, I'm just going to put my response in spoilers this time :p

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Well, for one, I was/am really hoping that they formalize the objective mod maps from KF1 into its own gameplay mode. The maps where you have to get from A to B rather than just kill waves and visit the trader. Basically L4D done KF style (and it's tough as hell.) That's what I mean about the game growing vertically rather than horizontally (which is more perks, guns, enemies, that sort of thing.) There's other potential game mods that they could add (rather than say, change the core gameplay) to experiment with different ways to play the game. As another example, those big 64 player maps with thousands of ZED count? Even though the actual feasibility of gameplay was shaky, it was, to put it simply, amazing as ****. Like coop zombie survival horror on an epic scale. Put some dev work into that! Make that an alternative to bog standard survival. That's the kind of innovation that makes me go "Yes, I think this is an idea worth throwing money at."

I think our different preferences for gaming has led to stalemate regarding the inherent value of addictive multiplayer games.

As for KFO: I really hope there is some kind of "defend the pod" type of objective mode, as it worked really well in COD: Extinction. You couldn't always camp the same spot because of the objective. It was an excellent concept, unfortunately, the 3rd, 4rth DLC levels were horrible, because they strayed away from the winning formula.

I really hope the reason they switch from a human trader to a vend-a-gun was (beyond the trader concept being highly unrealistic) so they could implement an objective mode that didn't require special voice actors, maps, or scripting. KFO as simple defend random pod in random spot for duration of wave would be awesome, because it changes things up without requiring a whole lot of extra assets.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think $30 is a pretty impressive price. I could see up to $40, but part of what helped KF1 sell so well was the low price and sales. I do wonder whether the EA is cheaper than retail, if any TWI devs are willing to shed some light on the matter.

I don't think there will be many people who'll wait until the full release. I think the price will stay the same.

Upvote 0