• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI-staff storming the boards

LumberJacques

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2015
So the last few days have seen tons of complaints about the lack of communication from TWI and I just realized that today the TWI-staff has been extremely active on the boards. They have been posting left and right, giving info, clarifying things, commenting on their approach to development and whatnot. Was great to se so many TWI-icons next to the titles of new threads.

I think I made some semi-whiny post about the lack of communication earlier...which in retrospect seems stupid. Ohh well, I guess the next time the community feels ignored we'd better ask ourselves why that might be instead of running of to sharpen our pitchforks.

So the last few days have seen tons of complaints about the lack of communication from TWI and I just realized that today the TWI-staff has been extremely active on the boards. They have been posting left and right, giving info, clarifying things, commenting on their approach to development and whatnot. Was great to se so many TWI-icons next to the titles of new threads.

I think I made some semi-whiny post about the lack of communication earlier...which in retrospect seems stupid. Ohh well, I guess the next time the community feels ignored we'd better ask ourselves why that might be instead of running of to sharpen our pitchforks.

To be fair, sharpening our pitchforks might of gotten them to pay attention. I mean from the steam forums and here it was looking pretty bad on their part due to pretty much no communication , even if it wasn't fully true , it felt that way to a lot of people.

It was looking bad and now all of a sudden they are everywhere.

Sounds like they needed the push honestly.

Upvote 0
*shakes head*

TWI is the dev we need right now, but not the one we deserve.

It's not like i am trying to be mean, it's just an image thing. I fully understand just how much work goes into game development, i also understand just how busy they can be.

But i also understand that communication and image is highly important, especially for anything in early access right now. Early Access isn't looked upon too favorably right now. If they want to keep a good image and let word of mouth really do it's job, they need to get in there.

The incredible amount of threads of negativity in the steam forums(and some here) was due to the lack of interaction.

It's not like people were asking for much. A comment here and there on important issues, a little acknowledgement for HUGE threads related issues...that is all.

Maybe i should of typed all this out in my first post lol

But i am sure you get what i mean. I have been part of quite a few early access games so i know how important it all is.

Upvote 0
True, but it isn't the only time to say something.

Some might say make the game instead. It is what we're paid to do. We have a person that is tasked with posting here, but he deserves a vacation, like anyone else.

We said we would make posts on what we are doing and make additions to the game periodically and we have and we will.

Upvote 0
I still think a little info here and there is better than just wait for patch notes (which is all we can do atm, because we still dont know the approach of things).

I think if we have something at hand we can discuss how to improve instead of arguing if its working as intended. Is scrakes designed to kill the whole team while the fleshpounds are just forcing you away? Is medic performing way too good than its designed to? Is telepoting an intended feature?

Yeah, you may say something that everyone agrees dont need a dev to comment. But we all know that what every player agrees doesnt mean developers will actually change it, they may have different thing in mind. That's why I keep asking for opinions from TWI. What we end up doing is wait for the patch notes and after some random changes we argue something that may get removed entirely in the next patch.

Say they plan on fixing teleporting in patch 1008. And we will be spending a month arguing about teleporting after 1007 is out. Now everyone's time is wasted. Or may be they think teleporting is fine and will never fix it, then we waste even more time after each patch. So... is getting some kind of opinions from dev too much to ask? Like if we know teleporting will not be removed, we can focus on how to make it less annoying. Not suggesting things to replace it.

Upvote 0

Or maybe sharpened pitchforks made them communicate better?..

Upvote 0

I am not sure that negative reinforcement is the way to go if we want more interaction. Do you honestly think that a team of people will be more inclined to interact with you if you constantly berate them for a week? That only fosters resentment.
The devs and community have one thing in common, which is a passion for the game. After they are done with a tough crunch, do you not think it is rewarding for them to come on the forums to brag a bit and interact with the people who will appreciate their hard work the most?

Upvote 0

This is likely to get you the opposite result, with banned users and devs who do not want to participate in the forums.

Most publishers/developers have rules that devs can't post in the forums (for some good reasons, and some bad ones as well). We do not have any such rules. The team is free to participate as much in the community as they are comfortable with.

However, the more hostile the environment = the less likely they will participate.

Upvote 0
This is likely to get you the opposite result, with banned users and devs who do not want to participate in the forums.

Most publishers/developers have rules that devs can't post in the forums (for some good reasons, and some bad ones as well). We do not have any such rules. The team is free to participate as much in the community as they are comfortable with.

However, the more hostile the environment = the less likely they will participate.

Calm down. We aren't hostile. Yes, there are a few offensive whiners and trolls here, but most of the community are friendly and trying to bring constructive criticism. It doesn't mean that we aren't loving you anymore or stopped thinking that you are the best game developers in the work :p

P.S. I love my wife. By if I won't tell her that today's dinner tastes like ****, then I'll be supposed to eat that **** every day :cool:

Upvote 0
P.S. I love my wife. By if I won't tell her that today's dinner tastes like ****, then I'll be supposed to eat that **** every day :cool:

Most people won't tell their spouses straight up that what they are doing is feces if they consider the work dissatisfactory. That is unless you have that kind of relationship where harsh words are not necessarily related to harsh feelings. Do you consider yourself having that sort of relationship with TWI?

If so:
How would you feel if a TWI-staffer commented on one of your posts that what you just said is feces? Will you feel appreciated and will you be as likely to post an honest feeling or thought again the next time?

Upvote 0