• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks in ROHOS

Yoshiro said:
If I remember my Alan teaching me history lessons correctly it took about 2 hours to replace tracks on a tank which is why it is not features in RO: Ost.
It takes 3 men on the cat tanks (Panther, Tigers) ~30 mins to replace the tracks I would suspect other panzers are similar.

Related: There is an account in one of George forty's books of a Panther suffering from a broken track I believe by a A-19 122mm AT piece after knocking out the enemy the crew repaired the Panther's track and drove it back to the German lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It takes 3 men on the cat tanks (Panther, Tigers) ~30 mins to replace the tracks I would suspect other panzers are similar.

Related: There is an account in one of George forty's books of a Panther suffering from a broken track I believe by a A-19 122mm AT piece after knocking out the enemy the crew repaired the Panther's track and drove it back to the German lines.

I stand corrected (unless Alan wants to chime in) but the gist of it is, it is not something that would happen during normal RO:Ost gameplay time periods.

Upvote 0
I don't mind transport vehicles being in the game, but if people are worried about players driving them all over the map/frontlines which wouldn't happen in real life, then how about make the maps so that you can only take these vehicles from spawn to perhaps the closest cap zone and that's it? (Or somewhere close to it)

They're good for getting people to one spot quickly, which was their main use in the first place, and I think transport from spawn to a short distance on the map wouldn't be too bad, so long as they can't get out in the battle area.

The commander could also use this to their advantage by having trasport vechiles exclusive to a certain area where they could use it to mark a spot and drive to the radio back in spawn quickly to call in arty.

Just an idea.

From what I remember, the Russian Truck was put in as an equivilant transport vehicle to the German's half-track. The half-track had a machine gun and more armoured, but the transport truck was quicker.

Agreed.... it does seem to take a lot of bullets to damage or take out a truck or motocycle & drivers/riders.

The Germans used trucks for troop transportation as well.

Upvote 0
The operative word here is "replace".

An inoperable track from damage could be due to something as simple as a broken pin in the link (an easy repair), to a ruined bearing or shaft on the drive sprocket, to a destroyed sprocket or tension wheel. In a battlefield situation, it would be almost impossible to be specific about a set repair time that fit every occasion. I'll concede that there might have been certain types of damage that were more common than others, but even that is often left to chance or the skill/knowledge of the opponent.

Upvote 0
Guys, guys
You are too obsessed with "realism" thing. Current RO gameplay is FAR away from realistic battles.

Let me try to explain, why I raised this.

One of the valid and advised tactic against heavy German tanks were:
use HE to destroy tracks
move faster, than enemy tank turret. use AP to penetrate armor and destroy the tank.
By adding tracks repair and increasing chance to destroy tracks we will add this valid tactic into the game.
By this, combat itself become more realistic.

Remember:
- adding non-realistic features into the game can sometimes increase realism of a gameplay.
- adding realistic features into the game can sometimes destroy fun of the game.
So never refuse any idea by claiming "its not realistic". Analyze an idea. Take a wide view. Imagine, what gameplay changes will bring that feature.

Regarding "repairing in the middle of a combat".
Right after you destroyed an enemy tank, and surrounded area is secured by friendly troops - you are free to repair your tank.

Upvote 0
i think everybody wants hitting the track to be closer to normal rather than only hitting the bottom part of the track. However i don't think that you need the ability to repair tracks to get that.

If it remains pretty hard to destroy the tracks (even if you hit right on to the tracks or road wheels). And they would make that realistic in exchange for ability to repair the thing then ok (just as i'm ok with bandaging because we can possibly see more staying effects of being hit). But as long as there is a chance to get realistic damage of the tracks and together with it no ability to quickly repair then i would prefer for that.

I would rather give the player a suicide button that destroys the tank and lets players respawn and together with that realistic track damage.

Upvote 0
I would rather give the player a suicide button that destroys the tank and lets players respawn and together with that realistic track damage.

I've always wanted an "Abandon tank" command that scuttles the tank. All players inside the the tank would have to hit it though to prevent griefers.

I think it would be great if we get some proper mobility kills in the game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but then you might get players abandoning a tank when it still has a use, players abandoning a tank to find there are no others left to respawn, or even the disgruntled player who wants to solo tank wanting to destroy it out of spite and then possibly ruin a whole map round. I definitely do not like the scuttle idea just because it is too prone to misuse. At best, have it as a mutator option...
Just my thoughts

Upvote 0
tank battles constituted alot of my time playing RO, i say put them in even if they arent used in all the standard maps; there has been and still will be a portion of this community (and others) who will buy this game specifically to go on a nice large tank map and duke it out with the steel beasts. I dont mean to be condescending to the regular ground pounders, but you probably wont completely understand what Im getting at if you dident play many many many hours on orel or other such large maps.

Upvote 0
I dont like the idea of repairs, but maybe as a median in between two arguments I could suggest that the tank can be rapaired only if returned to spawn, perhaps by towing from another tank???

(This still sounds ridiculous Im just brainstorming)

How you expected to return to spawn with damaged tracks?
Imagine, you are stuck with damaged tracks in the middle of nowhere.
Sure, /suicide always works

REALISM!

Upvote 0
I'm against having monkey wrench wielding people running the battle-field "fixing" your vehicle or whatever by tightening non-existent bolts in the air near the vehicle. I am however up for any kind of realistic maintenance or modifications done to the vehicle by the crew on the battle-field (when not under fire by enemies- It can encourage team tanking as well, a full crew can fix minor damage to the vehicle lone wolf tankers can not,etc...
For example like I stated before The panther account (I need to get my hands on the book again) after knocking out the enemy the Panther crew managed to repair its track and drive back to the German lines....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hackel
Upvote 0