• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

im open to the idea, actually i did a bit of readup on the phenomena. during the mod days, but havent been able to finish it since other stuff got in the way (deadlines! D:!)

i have read thru the thread, but hasnt really gotten straight out exactly how it works. does the crack follow the bullet, so it cracks on the instance when the bullet passes, or does it tail the bullet like the discharge sound, making it delayed depending on how far away one is.

anyhow, we dont have a dynamic delay system for the sounds in RO. so its hard/impossible to portray the way its ment to.

also, i'd like more references!.. if anyone has recording equipment and access to a shooting range, do me a huge favor and combine fun and fun (recording and firing)..

Upvote 0
i have read thru the thread, but hasnt really gotten straight out exactly how it works. does the crack follow the bullet, so it cracks on the instance when the bullet passes, or does it tail the bullet like the discharge sound, making it delayed depending on how far away one is.
The shockwave is trailing/attached to the bullet, so the instant it passes, you hear the crack. It technically reaches your ear after the bullet has passed you, but the amount of delay we're talking about is insignificant for the purposes of a game. Of course that's assuming that it passes close - if it were to pass further away, it would sound different and there would be a slight delay, but you'd have to ask someone who knows more about such things to tell you exactly how long that delay, and what factors it would be affected by. That's assuming that you were to even model that aspect of it.

also, i'd like more references!.. if anyone has recording equipment and access to a shooting range, do me a huge favor and combine fun and fun (recording and firing)..
It's ridiculously hard to capture the sound without a very nice mic, same as with all gun-related sounds, so good luck to anyone who tries. I can send you the sound files used in that BF2 mod if they would be helpful, they're actual real-world recordings of the effect.

Upvote 0

From what i gather from various eye-witness accounts the crack is heard as it passes close by your head. I don't know anything about coding games/sound files but surely it would be a case of if bullets are whizzing past you in the general vicinity you would still hear the whoosh, but if they are VERY close to your head and you are getting the suppression blur then you would hear the loud cracking.

Xancerman - i have every faith in your ability to reproduce this effectively and i hope that you do. It was because of your outstanding sound fx in this game that i bought a Creative X-fi soundcard (and i couldn't really afford one either). ;)

Upvote 0
Xancerman, I'm going to the range this weekend with my digital camera, i'll do some recording there. It's at 300 metres.

It won't be too hard to pick up at all with even the shonkiest of recording equipment. Anything in particular you'd like me to catch?
Oh, god. Yes, it's ridiculously hard to record properly with "the shonkiest of recording equipment". Ditto with gunshots. Have fun trying, though...

You're going to have your camera downrange in the target pits, I assume?

Upvote 0
Dslexci, you're right, it's very hard to record sound properly, but I was under the impression the sound chap wanted a vague idea of what it sounded like?

Xancerman, if you're after a better quality version i might be able to source some equipment from a mate. I can probably get a mic to within 30cm's of the bullets passing without any risk of damaging the equipment. Or myself.

What format do you want it in?

Upvote 0
would it be a good suggestion to get multiple recordings of the bullets cracking at different distances from the microphone to make the effect less repetitive and not sounding the same?

i noticed the BF2 mod was really lame because they used a single recording for the crack and it was the same volume each time and sounded unrealistic

Upvote 0
off topic.

I once had a CF-18 go super sonic 7-9 thousand feet above the base were on. (it was accidental, that base was not an airforce base, he was just on route and I guess he wanted to be a stupid dick and "buzz" the base and didn't look at his mach number.)

I can tell you it felt like someone punched you in the chest and your ears rang for several seconds afterwards. I was standing next to the mess and every single window shook violently and a few people stumbled in shock. Imagine the loudest thing you have ever heard, times infinity. It's the air quite literally exploding.

Breaking the sound barrier:

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Upvote 0
off topic.

I once had a CF-18 go super sonic 7-9 thousand feet above the base were on. (it was accidental, that base was not an airforce base, he was just on route and I guess he wanted to be a stupid dick and "buzz" the base and didn't look at his mach number.)

I can tell you it felt like someone punched you in the chest and your ears rang for several seconds afterwards. I was standing next to the mess and every single window shook violently and a few people stumbled in shock. Imagine the loudest thing you have ever heard, times infinity. It's the air quite literally exploding.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Damn, I hope that guy got punished for that. What a dip ****.

Upvote 0
i noticed the BF2 mod was really lame because they used a single recording for the crack and it was the same volume each time and sounded unrealistic
The "lame" BF2 mod you're referring to had fifteen different sounds that were used for the supersonic crack. Considering the short range that it was played at (within a few meters of the player), those sounds sufficed. In a perfect world you'd have unique sounds for each round type, but to say that the BF2 one was lame because it always sounded about the same is ignoring the fact that in reality the same round type passing the same basic distance away from you is going to sound the same time after time.

Upvote 0
In the target pits at the shooting range, how can you differentiate a bullet's sonic boom from the sound of its impact with the target?

To really know what the bullet's sonic boom sounds like, surely you would have to be far enough away from both the gun and the target whilst still being close to the path of the bullet?

Upvote 0
In the target pits at the shooting range, how can you differentiate a bullet's sonic boom from the sound of its impact with the target?

To really know what the bullet's sonic boom sounds like, surely you would have to be far enough away from both the gun and the target whilst still being close to the path of the bullet?
You're asking how you can differentiate between a miniature sonic boom and the sound of a bullet zipping right through paper? I think the answer is obvious. I never once heard the sound of the bullet hitting the target, and the sound of it hitting a dirt berm is likewise completely drowned out by the sonic crack.

Upvote 0
off topic.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

F-111 Flyby

Similar, though much lower and a little slower. Shattered a lot of windows and shifted the entire building a tad so it suffered structural damage, inside and out. I have a video of the walkaround of the building also somewhere.

Its a cool video, worth the download (only small).

Upvote 0