• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

Dslyecxi

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005
Houston
dslyecxi.com
This is something you guys would really benefit from having in RO, or your future projects. A guy made a sound mod for BF2, inspired by my "Best of Tactical Gaming" article, that introduces pretty realistic supersonic bullet cracks for passing rounds. It's far above and beyond the pathetic "whoosh" noise you get in most games.

You can find a page about it here, with videos.

no offence , but i think that CRACK is from the bullet hitting the ground or things around it
Uh, wrong. Let's not debate something that is fact, ok? This post is to show off what it REALLY sounds like to have a bullet pass by your head in REALITY, which is, you know, a critical element of REALISM.

Between the two of us, I think I've heard this in reality, and I think you haven't. Thus, I feel confident that my view on this is correct, and yours is not.

but i dont like the way it sounds , even if it is realistic , the bullets going by in red orchestra sound more supressive...... and make you want to keep your head down
You're telling me that the little whoosh of a bullet in RO is more suppressive than a loud, sharp, scary CRACK! going off right by your head? Ok, man. To each his own, I guess. This is realism.

Upvote 0
Uh, wrong. Let's not debate something that is fact, ok? This post is to show off what it REALLY sounds like to have a bullet pass by your head in REALITY, which is, you know, a critical element of REALISM.

Between the two of us, I think I've heard this in reality, and I think you haven't. Thus, I feel confident that my view on this is correct, and yours is not.

You're telling me that the little whoosh of a bullet in RO is more suppressive than a loud, sharp, scary CRACK! going off right by your head? Ok, man. To each his own, I guess. This is realism.
you dont have to cry about it , most of the guns in this game are subsonic anyway , so the whoosh is just fine ......

Upvote 0
This is something you guys would really benefit from having in RO, or your future projects. A guy made a sound mod for BF2, inspired by my "Best of Tactical Gaming" article, that introduces pretty realistic supersonic bullet cracks for passing rounds. It's far above and beyond the pathetic "whoosh" noise you get in most games.

You can find a page about it here, with videos.

I have read many eye-witness accounts over the years testifying to the frighteneing and deafening 'CRACK' of bullets travelling at supersonic speeds past or near people's heads.

This is something i would definately love to see ,or rather hear, Tripwire implement and something that would set RO even further apart from all the mediocre and unrealistic WWII shooters!

Upvote 0
I think the distinct "crack" is more prominent at a distance...
Yeah, up close you'd hear the actual sound of the enemys gun firing much louder than the crack of the bullet going by. At a certain distance (who knows exactly) the sound of the bullet going by would surpass the enemys gun volume. Also the loudness of the crack probably depends on how much the bullet exceeds the speed of sound. If it just barely does it's probably not very loud.

Upvote 0
Yeah, up close you'd hear the actual sound of the enemys gun firing much louder than the crack of the bullet going by. At a certain distance (who knows exactly) the sound of the bullet going by would surpass the enemys gun volume.

Yes, this is true. I should have clarified that the muzzle blast sounds in BF2 are so weak that they don't really give a good impression of close-range sounds. Still, the basic idea behind the mod is solid, and the effect it gives is really nice.

Upvote 0
you dont have to cry about it , most of the guns in this game are subsonic anyway , so the whoosh is just fine ......

Actually the speed of sound at sea level 340 metres/second

Muzzle velocity of mp40 380 metres/second

All rifles will have a muzzle velocity higher than that as will the MG's

Not saying that a mod is needed or not, just that technically the weapons (mostly) are not sub sonic

Clear?

Upvote 0

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about!

The speed of sound is approximately 1087 ft/sec.

The Mauser K98k "fired the 7.92mm bullet at 2,450 ft/sec" (John Keegan).

That is more than double the speed of sound and the other rifles/MGs would have had a similar muzzle velocity. I don't have any muzzle velocities for any of the SMGs at hand...

*edit: JudgeMental beat me to it*

Upvote 0
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about!

The speed of sound is approximately 1087 ft/sec.

The Mauser K98k "fired the 7.92mm bullet at 2,450 ft/sec" (John Keegan).

That is more than double the speed of sound and the other rifles/MGs would have had a similar muzzle velocity. I don't have any muzzle velocities for any of the SMGs at hand...

*edit: JudgeMental beat me to it*
why is this being posted here ? you could make a mod in less then an day that could fix this " issue "

Upvote 0
im not , if i was i would be saying "DUMB IDEA GET OUT OF HERE !!"

why dont you just replace the SWOOSH sound file with the crack sound file that you can probly get from that BF2 mod? is it really that hard , does it really need an entire dev team to work on?
...because it'd be smarter to have the dev team work on it natively so it becomes a FEATURE of the game instead of just a mod?

Upvote 0
I think it would be a good idea to make it a mod first too. Simply because it will be "implented" way faster like that and its a good way to see how it feels ingame. I'd really like to see (or better: hear) it, but the devs got their hands full I guess.

It shouldnt be hard to implent, I think people already found out how to replace the voice commands because the wanted the old russians ones back... could the various "woosh" sounds just be replaced by good "crack" and "snap" ones? That would maybe not even need a mod, but a change on the player side.
Like that people who are interested in that can have it and other ones dont need to bother.

Upvote 0
it sounds as if the tank was shooting with fireworks :/
Go look at some combat footage some time, the real stuff. Listen to what it sounds like when bullets fly over. This is it. This is realism.

It's not what Hollywood would have you believe, of course, and at close range the muzzle blast should be a lot louder - Battlefield 2 ****s in that regard. However, the sound of the rounds cracking overhead is spot-on accurate.

Upvote 0