• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

How is that backwards? Sound travels behind the bullet, not infront.
So it's accurate to say you hear it passing and you can't hear it coming.
No kidding. The first time you described it, you cited the "wiii" noise and then the pop. Hence my original question. I know full well how it actually works, I was questioning why your example was backwards.

Upvote 0
I doubt that this would get "laggy". Why should it get, there is not much more info added than there is allready. If so little would make a game laggy than you could forget playing it.
I'm no coder but I guess there'd be three states: 1 CQB (noise of the rifle is louder than the noise of the bullet),2 >CQB (bullet still supersonic) and 3 bullet not supersonic anymore.
A simple if "function" should do the job, I guess - correct me as I have no clue and use only my brain instead of experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I think both are right hear me out on this.

As I said I have myself only heard the "wiiii" "wizz" "wosh" sound but at a slight distace as I said.

But I have never had a bullet pass right by my ear which may very well give a cracking sound (I don't know since I have never had it pass that close)

So maybe a combination of both would be the best solution.

I can very well imagen that how you experience the sound of the shock around the tip of a bullet differs depending on how far away you are from the actual bullet.

Upvote 0
:mad: You're all wrong wrong wrong!!!:mad:

You will hear two noises on the receiving end of a firearm, both are very distinct, and two clearly different noises. There is a ear shattering *CRACK* and then a deep *WHUMP*.

The *CRACK* is the projectile breaking the sound barrier, while the *WHUMP* is the bassy noise of the firearm being discharged. The majority of the sound from a firearm is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Those who hunt in built up areas using low velocity .22LR ammunition can attest to this. Those gun nuts out there will be able to tell anybody who listens that the main proponent of a silenced firearm is the subsonic ammunition used = bullet doesn't break the speed of sound = no 'Crack'. The big long goofy thing on the end of a silenced firearm just hides the sound of the discharge, the 'whump'.

You can tell roughly how far away the firer is by the length of time between the *CRACK* and the *WHUMP* At 100 meters, the sounds occur at virtually the same time. At 200 meters, the sounds overlap. At 300 meters they happen directly after one another - *WHUMPCRACK* At distances over 300 meters there is a distinct delay between these two noises.

That's why some people say, after seeing a man killed by a sniper etc, that he was dead before they heard the shot. The crack, however, is very, very loud, and far more offputting than just the discharge of the firearm. NO movie or computer game has accurately depicted this sound. The Thread starter is a top bloke for bringing it up, it's something that's always bothered me.

The inclusion in Red Orchestra would win many, many fans of those in the military. Sadly 90% of people wouldn't have a clue as to what the sound was, however.

Upvote 0
Thank you Marlon!

You have articulated what i knew but wasn't able to explain, or could be bothered to explain.

I sincerely hope TW implements this as it would be the perfect addition to a game reknowned for it's closeness to realism (as far as is possible) and would earn much praise from tactical realism gamers and even ex-servicemen.

I also sincerely hope that the people who haven't got a clue about such things will stop making half-witted remarks based on Film/TV sound effects.

C'mon Tripwire you know you want to!!!;)

Upvote 0
Well actually the "crack" or "bang" from the bullet breaking the sound barrier only occurs at the muzzle of the gun as the bullet exits the barrle and enters the "open" air.

I think the crack people are refering to here is a sound because of the shocks the bullet create in the air because of it's supersonic speed.

The sound "bang" when the bullet breaks the sound barrier will always be a stronger sound then the sound from the shocks around the bullet that are because of it's supersonic speed.

But as I said I have never heard this "crack" from a bullet passing me only the "wiii" but I'm not ruling out that it might be a "crack" sound passes you at a certain distance or something like that. (blah blah you can see what I wrote earlier if you don't understand what I mean with this last part)

Upvote 0
Fu, no offence guys, but i mark targets for two or so details every saturday at the ANZAC rifle range at malabar. If an average detail has 40 rounds, plus 20 odd rounds sighting in in the morning that means i have 100 rounds a week pass around 2 metres above my head. I mark targets pretty much 50 weeks a year, for three years. So i've had around 15,000 rounds pass above my head. Pretty much all of these are either .303, 7.62R, 7.92, 7.62NATO, 6.5 Swede and some .223 and 7.62x39mm.

They go *CRACK* alright, trust me!

At 50 meters +

It's the most distinctive sound you hear, and even though we have some 10 feet of earth and concrete a behind us, and you'd have to jump rather high with your hand up to get hit, it's still very unnerving. Imagine not having that dirt?

The sound seems to occur around 30-50 meters from the muzzle of the firearm. I know nothing about physics and maths. I failed year 10 mathematics with a mark of 32 (I sent it for re-evaluation and received a mark of 29) but the sound is there, it is distinct and it is very, very offputting.

Count me in for the replacement of the pathetic 'woosh' sound with the far more realistic, and far more unnerving *CRACK*. Devs just have to record a twig snapping, and amplify it x1,000,000.

I can't stress how important this is to include. The BF2 video posted before is a very good example of how it should be done. The sound of the crack, from .30 rifle rounds doesn't seem to vary.

The reason why this sound hasn't been included in movies, or in computer games is due to the nature of much of the shooting around the world. Many people just sit themselves down on a bench and blat away at a target pinned to a board, frame etc. Very few people realise the sensation of having rounds fired at you.

We hold the targets, nailed to a wooden post above the parapet. This method of marking targets was prefferred, and still is by many armies as being shot at is a very unusual sensation, and difficult to distinguish in combat. Having rounds pass above your head during training is an important part of becoming 'acclimatized' to the battlefield.

Anyway, i'm rambling.

So +1 very, very strong vote for it to be included.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hate to quote a movie but," Why arn't you shooting?,"A wizz isn't shooting at us a snap is.. *CRACK* Oh ****!

When i walk to this range/4wd place, sometimes i hear the wizz of a bullet passing over my head, although the bullet is probably 200 feet in the air. Once at that same place some little kid almost shot me in the arm with a 22lr, he was resting on a bench and I had let the few people that were there know that i was going downrange to set up targets and i hear a shot and a puff of dirt comes up right beside of me:eek: little bastard.

YES we need more cracks in this game.

Upvote 0
"We had a hole dug atop the bank for our Bren gun...one night I was on the Bren gun at this post when Jerry opened fire at me. Their machine-guns do fire at a very rapid rate and this time about every fifth bullet was a tracer and it appeared with the path they were coming at me that i was going to be hit right between the eyes and what a cracking sound as the bullets went by my ear."

- veteran from the Regina Rifles, quoted in 'The Bloody Battle For Tilly: Normandy 1944' by Ken Tout.

I won't let this thread die:p

Upvote 0
lol Then how would a bullet, fired at a distance, make a crack sound when it has already made it's sonic boom after leaving the barrel? Since bullets do slow down over time, wouldn't they lose that sonic boom effect also?

Especially at close range when you can't hear it in the first place.

Don't worry about anymore arguments heh, I've got no other questions. :D

You are not clear on what a sonic boom is. Someone has explained it in terms of the observer and all that, here is a more plain spoken version.
Think of that crack, that sonic boom as more of a sonic wave. As the bullet (any object) moves faster than the speed of sound, it creates pressure waves that travel around and ahead of it, but spreads out behind it. (Picture a boat moving through the water, the disruption to the water immediately in front as the bow cuts the water and the wake spreading out behind it.) As the bullet passes, the cracking sound is the sound of the pressure change in the "wake" of the bullet. This sound is heard by anyone along hte path of the bullet as the bullet goes by, not just at the rifle. The sonic crack is a sound emitted from the bullet moving, not originating at the rifle. (This cracking sonic sound is different than the actual explosion that propels the bullet, which does travel outwards from the gun, and can be blocked or distorted by distance, air temperature, sonic shadow, objects in the way, etc.)
If you and a friend are standing 200 meters apart on a range, with him closer to the gun and you 200 meters further away, you will both hear the sonic boom (sonic wake) as the bullet flies over. However, he will hear it slightly before you since the bullet will pass over him slightly earlier. (of course the time difference is so small you'd not be able to measure it without proper equipment) On a larger scale, think of a plane flying overhead doing supersonic speed. You will hear a sonic boom as it passes. Your friend, who is now 100 miles away will also hear the sonic boom, but not for a few more minutes, until the plane passes over him and the "waves" spreading out behind the plane reach him. It is a common mistake that people think a sonic boom happens only at the instant an object exceeds the speed of sound.
Hope that made sense lol...too much time on my hands it appears....

Upvote 0
I see where your coming from, and it's interesting.:cool:

If you've ever seen Band of Brothers, or any modern war movie for instance, anyway, in BoB when they are defending Carentan, after capturing it, they are attacked, and as the Germans are shooting at them, tons of snappings happen. I took it as the branches were snapping off when being shot, since there were so many branches falling off, and bullets being fired. :eek:

I dunno, perhaps I'm wrong... But it seems like it would be more effective, if the crackings were happening when building were being shot around you as well as bushes, shrubs, trees, aesthetic gardes... :p

Upvote 0
I dunno, I always though that repeating "crack" sound was the actual small-caliber weapons being fired off in the distance, not the actual bullet coming close to you and making it's own sound.
Gunshots very rapidly become less sharp once you get a 50-100 meters away from the source. Go to a rifle range, for instance, and walk away from the firing line (in the direction AWAY from the targets, obviously) while the range is hot. You'll see that the sounds change dramatically with even a relatively small increase in distance from them. The same effect is somewhat modeled in RO by the two types of gunshot sounds for each weapon - the close-up one, and the distant one.

The supersonic crack actually has the same thing happen for it. That's why it's loudest when the bullet passes close to you, and shifts in sound depending on how far away the round passed.

Upvote 0
Gunshots very rapidly become less sharp once you get a 50-100 meters away from the source. Go to a rifle range, for instance, and walk away from the firing line (in the direction AWAY from the targets, obviously) while the range is hot. You'll see that the sounds change dramatically with even a relatively small increase in distance from them. The same effect is somewhat modeled in RO by the two types of gunshot sounds for each weapon - the close-up one, and the distant one.

The supersonic crack actually has the same thing happen for it. That's why it's loudest when the bullet passes close to you, and shifts in sound depending on how far away the round passed.

This is actually a really cool effect. It's called Sound Shadow. If the ground is hot near the surface, it causes wavelenght of the sound to shorten near to the ground, and to speed up relative to the part of the wave higher up in "cooler" air, thus "bending" the sound wave upwards. It causes the sound to disappear not that far out if you are laying on the ground.
This is why you get reports in World War 1 of soldiers crawling on their bellies between trenches in the grass during the summer and reporting that they could hear the wizzing of bullets over their heads or through the grass, but they could not hear the guns firing until they knelt up to run.

Upvote 0
This is actually a really cool effect. It's called Sound Shadow. If the ground is hot near the surface, it causes wavelenght of the sound to shorten near to the ground, and to speed up relative to the part of the wave higher up in "cooler" air, thus "bending" the sound wave upwards. It causes the sound to disappear not that far out if you are laying on the ground.
This is why you get reports in World War 1 of soldiers crawling on their bellies between trenches in the grass during the summer and reporting that they could hear the wizzing of bullets over their heads or through the grass, but they could not hear the guns firing until they knelt up to run.
Wow, first I've heard of that. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0