• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

So ricocheting bullets sound different from this?

I had a few close encounters with ricochets and they definitely have a low hum sound as they pass by.
Typically, yes. A ricochet generally makes the round tumble and disrupts the shape of it, and it typically also drops the speed below the speed of sound. Because of that, you have an odd shape (deformed bullet) moving at a slower speed (impact lost energy) and tumbling (odd sound), so it sounds quite different.

Upvote 0
Don't you think you have the distance wrong though?

Wouldn't the round only crack from supersonic speed as it leaves the barrel of the weapon? Like when you see videos of the war going on and you hear Ak's and stuff firing off in the distance you definitely hear that "crack" sound. I don't think it would be audible at close range over the sound of the gun either.

Upvote 0
Don't you think you have the distance wrong though?

Wouldn't the round only crack from supersonic speed as it leaves the barrel of the weapon? Like when you see videos of the war going on and you hear Ak's and stuff firing off in the distance you definitely hear that "crack" sound. I don't think it would be audible at close range over the sound of the gun either.

The crack is relative to the observer. If a bullet passes by you going supersonic, you'll hear the crack. It doesn't matter how far away the shooter was, it's not a function of the rifle, it's a property of the bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound. It's all relative to the observer.

As to hearing it up close, at closer ranges it'll blend into the gunfire and make it sound extra sharp if the rounds are passing close to you. It won't drown out the gunfire like in the vid - that's a problem with BF2.

Upvote 0
Of course I'm not saying that. Use common sense here. If the bullet has slowed to subsonic, it's not going to make a sonic boom, is it?

lol Then how would a bullet, fired at a distance, make a crack sound when it has already made it's sonic boom after leaving the barrel? Since bullets do slow down over time, wouldn't they lose that sonic boom effect also?

Especially at close range when you can't hear it in the first place.

Don't worry about anymore arguments heh, I've got no other questions. :D

Upvote 0
lol Then how would a bullet, fired at a distance, make a crack sound when it has already made it's sonic boom after leaving the barrel? Since bullets do slow down over time, wouldn't they lose that sonic boom effect also?

You don't understand how a sonic boom works. It's not something that happens once and then is over. Try reading about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

Upvote 0
I'll try not to!

Better yet, i've got some great target pits footage from the 2004 Queens service rifle match. Shows exactly what the poster is trying to say. Anybody know how to rip something off DVD format, and how to chuck it up on youtube? My main problem is figuring out how to cut down the 20 minutes worth of footage to one 30 second clip...

Upvote 0