• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Leningrad [Beta 1]

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
leningradforumspiccg8.jpg

"Troy fell, Rome fell, Leningrad did not fall."

gupleningradoverheadaz9.jpg

Download Link: Map Orchestra

RO-Leningrad_Beta1
by DrGuppy

Date of Release:
October 27, 2006. Please direct all feedback to me by Private Message (preferred) or to [email protected]

Screenshots:

Description: This is a Combined Arms map located in a very urban setting. Tanks for both sides are limited so infantry support will be paramount if either side is to claim victory. Most buildings are enterable and the map also includes a sewer system snaking its way under the ruined buildings. There are 4 objectives to be taken by the German side in 30 minutes. The Soviets must hold on to at least one objective until the time runs out.

History: Three months after being invaded by Germany the city of Leningrad (formerly Petrograd, presently St. Petersburg) was completely surrounded on September 8, 1941. The Siege (Blockada) lasted until January 7, 1944, a total of 900 days. To Hitler, Leningrad had long been a target as it was the birthplace of Bolshevism and ordered it razed to the ground. The people of Leningrad endured 900 days of hard labour, starvation, constant shelling, and aerial bombings. Estimates range from 1-1.5 million people in Leningrad were killed from shelling, exposure, starvation, and aerial bombings. During the siege precious supplies were transported across Lake Ladoga (nicknamed 'The Road of Life') whenever possible and later on KV-1 tanks were even transported out of Leningrad as the factory never stopped producing tanks throughout the siege. My map is based on Operation Feuerzauber (Fire Magic, later re-planned and re-named Operation Nordlicht or Nothern Lights) which was the planned invasion of Leningrad city in 1942. Although this plan was never carried out due to Soviet counterattacks and Germans never actually got past the suburbs of Leningrad I decided to base this map on what might have happened because Leningrad is often overlooked.

Objectives: There are a total of 4 objectives that play out in a linear line and can only be captured one at a time, similar to KonigsPlatz or Baskova. Each objective is unable to be recaptured once taken. The entire map takes place along the Nevsky Prospect and 3 out of the 4 objectives can only be captured by infantry.

The first objective is the Anti-Tank Position which is a 5 story enterable hotel overlooking the intersection of the Nevsky Prospect, Vladimirsky Prospect, and Liteyny Prospect. Across the intersection the Russians have placed barbed wire and various anti-tank obstacles. The Germans tanks will need to provide cover for the infantry as they cross the street and clear out and capture the building.

Once the first objective is captured the Russians must fall back and defend the Searchlight Building which is a 5 story restaurant/hotel.

The third objective is an underground Command Bunker located under a destroyed building. Players can enter the bunker via the sewer system (which runs throughout most of the map) or from the top through the rubble.

The final objective is the Anichkov Bridge which is the only objective that can be captured with the help of the tanks. Infantry can go onto the Fontanka River ice below and capture from there while the tanks battle above.

Known Issues:

- No Bot Support, I will work on this for Beta 2.
- German mortar fire works perfectly for the first round but the triggers do not reset after the first round for some reason. This does not effect gameplay.
- Most windows do not have the correct weapon resting heights yet.
- Searchlight above the Searchlight Building can be blown up but currently there is not point to doing so.
- Most meshes do not have cull distances set. This is one of my main focuses for Beta 2.
- Tanks do not have Welts custom snow skins because I haven't been able to get them working yet.

-------------------------------------------

So after 6-ish months of working on this I finally feel ready to release it. This is my second map, for any game, and I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out so far. This has been a great learning experience for me. The map itself is 1:1 scale of the real Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg. All of the building facades along the Nevsky were built from modern-day photos. The majority of these facades have not been changed since the war. Most of them can be seen here. My goal in creating this map was to give players a combined arms street fight with enterable buildings of each side. Infantry and tanks will have to work together to clear out the buildings and clear the roadblocks. Tanks must also rely heavily on infantry protection because they have limited respawns. Each German tank, per spawn area, respawns once, and the Russian KV1s do not respawn. Protect your tanks!

For this map I spent a great deal of time learning to make static meshes and textures. Currently the map contains 64 custom static meshes and 31 custom textures ranging from simple window frames and snow skins to a 3000 poly trolleybus. You can see some of my static mesh and texture work in this thread or by playing the map.

Special thanks go to everyone for waiting so long for a release and to everyone who helped me along the way! Please continue to give me feedback in this thread, I will try to take all things into consideration.

Last edited:
Looks like a good map - just played it in Practice mode. Loved the atmosphere and real look to it all. I get quite low FPS though (around 10 FPS) when looking down the street :( - this is with nearly all settings on low (my PC is quite old though). Usually I get 30-40FPS on other maps (though I get about 20 on certain parts of Lyskrovy). If I can play inside the buildings most the time it shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a good map - just played it in Practice mode. Loved the atmosphere and real look to it all. Main problem that will stop me playing it online though is the FPS I get. Was getting like 10 FPS when looking down the street :( - this is with nearly all settings on low (my PC is quite old though). Usually I get 30-40FPS on other maps (though I get about 20 on certain parts of Lyskrovy)

I apologize for this, it would have taken me a few more weeks to get all the cull distances in so I decided to leave it out until Beta 2. It would have been nice to have my own Art Dept. working for me on this one so I could optimize it better in time. ;) Glad you liked the atmosphere though. :)

Upvote 0
Do you think my FPS will change much in Beta2? 20 fps is usually playable for me. Or is a lot of the map played inside because its only looking down the street that my FPS goes right down.

Well at the moment almost none of the staticmeshes have cull distances on them which means all the furniture, lights, etc. inside the side buildings is being rendered. The decolayer is also causing me some grief and I may remove it in Beta 2 (small snow-covered bricks). Additionally I will probably end up removing a few select higher-poly statics along the Nevsky to help with FPS.

FPS is my biggest challenge with this map because the historical layout doesn't leave a whole lot of room for optimization. Hopefully I'll have Beta 2 out in a few weeks with some major optimizations in so you can enjoy it online melipone. :cool:

Upvote 0
Looks good, will there be artillery?

There is random artillery, similar to StalingradKessel, but with a few improvements. First, the artillery is supposed to be German mortars so it randomly falls only on the Russian side. If the Germans attack the objectives they should never get hit. After each objective is captured the mortars move up and continue to hit the Russians while leaving the path to the next objective clear for the Germans to advance. The system works great for the first round but it doesn't restart on the second so there is no artillery on the first 3 objectives for round 2, 3, etc. I will have to work on the system some more and see if I can fix it for Beta 2.

If you meant player-controlled artillery then the answer is no. One artillery strike would completely block off the street and I don't feel that this would help gameplay at all. Think of artillery on Odessa and you'll see why I didn't add it for this map. ;)

Upvote 0
I have walked that street, from the main train station to the Hermitage. A truly amazing location. I was taking photos of every facade for the first couple blocks and then I realized it would take me days to complete the journey... unfortunately it is only in my memories now. A very beautiful city thank goodness it never fell. The historical and cultural significance of the place just seeps into your bones.

Upvote 0