• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm Gamescom trailer

What I don't get is how come COD and BF3 can get away with charging for 4 maps. But TWI can't get away with charging (WHO KNOWS THE PRICE) anything for a whole stand alone game.

Not trying to turn this into flaming...just asking a question really. Take it with some salt please

THe main issue we have is that they get RO 2 for free when they buy RS

Upvote 0
What I don't get is how come COD and BF3 can get away with charging for 4 maps. But TWI can't get away with charging (WHO KNOWS THE PRICE) anything for a whole stand alone game.

Not trying to turn this into flaming...just asking a question really. Take it with some salt please

What Sarcinelli said.

Also, I believe most people don't feel encouraged to pay for something they make not even like. Those who liked RO2 will most likely love Rising Storm. Those who didn't will think twice.

Upvote 0
As a player (cause I don't know JS) I like the fact you get RO2 with it. This helps keep the two games connected. Hell it would be cool if servers could run both games on the same server. Just my 2 cents. Is anybody know 100% there charging and doing this anyway? The video was very brief so I wouldn't start making "oh no you didn't"'s just yet.

Upvote 0
Then what would you call it?

It focuses on US Forces fighting in WWII in the Pacific.... seems like another US WWII Shooter to me.
you got it all wrong. it's a japanese ww2 shooter! ;)
i hear you though. it would be cool if the rest of the cambatants make it into the game. aussies, kiwis and brits to name a few. we'll have to wait and see. i hope they do get included.
who else can we add on the japanese side?

Upvote 0
you got it all wrong. it's a japanese ww2 shooter! ;)
i hear you though. it would be cool if the rest of the cambatants make it into the game. aussies, kiwis and brits to name a few. we'll have to wait and see. i hope they do get included.
who else can we add on the japanese side?
Maybe some Koreans and Manchurians? Westerners wouldn't notice the difference, though.

Upvote 0
It'd be interesting if with Rising Storm's Japanese models, we'd be able to create a few Manchurian maps and throw in a JS2, JS3, tank for the Soviets. It was a hardcore campaign for the Soviets (as they had great end war technologies to use on this front, let alone the fact that many were battle hardened beyond belief), and I don't think it's ever been depicted in any game before

(I would love to know if there is a game with the Chinese/Soviet wars against the Japanese, please point them out to me).

Or something else I've never seen, a whole Sino-Japanese game-mod depicting Chinese struggle under Japanese occupation.

The historic significance of these two parties in world war II is often heavily undermined across the world (The Soviets in Manchuria, and the entire Chinese experience under Japanese occupation).

For those that don't know, yes the Soviets did face more than 1 million Japanese soldiers in China in their far east front (as well as Sakhalin).

And I don't mean to be a party pooper, but how many games do you know that show the Pacific War - and then ask yourself how many games do you know that show the 2nd Sino-Japanese war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Manchuria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War

Upvote 0
ak™;1119075 said:
It'd be interesting if with Rising Storm's Japanese models, we'd be able to create a few Manchurian maps and throw in a JS2, JS3, tank for the Soviets. It was a hardcore campaign for the Soviets (as they had great end war technologies to use on this front, let alone the fact that many were battle hardened beyond belief), and I don't think it's ever been depicted in any game before

(I would love to know if there is a game with the Chinese/Soviet wars against the Japanese, please point them out to me).

Or something else I've never seen, a whole Sino-Japanese game-mod depicting Chinese struggle under Japanese occupation.

The historic significance of these two parties in world war II is often heavily undermined across the world (The Soviets in Manchuria, and the entire Chinese experience under Japanese occupation).

For those that don't know, yes the Soviets did face more than 1 million Japanese soldiers in China in their far east front (as well as Sakhalin).

And I don't mean to be a party pooper, but how many games do you know that show the Pacific War - and then ask yourself how many games do you know that show the 2nd Sino-Japanese war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Manchuriahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Manchuria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_Warhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War

Yes, Sino-Japanese War is also worthy of all attention, especially with the Chinese using all sorts of weaponry, as they were supplied (or licenced) by different countries.

This urban battle also is very much in the spirit of HOS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Taierzhuang

EDIT: I haven't seen the Soviet campaign in Manchuria even in hardcore wargames, even though it is a major event in late WW2. There is the problem of the Soviets mostly steamrolling the Japanese, but it's not like there were no battles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not Bad. It will be released next Year, and we have to pay for it.

So it is confirmed payware?

Pass. Unless its $5. Considering how little I played RO2 (22 hours; good amount of that time spent trying to get the server browser to work) I can't see myself paying much for another game affiliated with RO2.

Yup, as the video above states at the beginning, you gotta "Purchase" it.

I won't.... if it was free, I may play it, but I refuse to play yet another US WWII FPS with all the same weapons and the same battles as every other US WWII shooter since the late 90's.

Even if it uses many of the gameplay elements as RO2, it's not enough incentive when the same gameplay mechanics are already in a game I already own.

Then again, the Japanese having the Bren Gun may be enough to sway me into the game.... obviously if I do get the game, I'll probably be playing 99% Japanese just for the difference in weapons.

Posts like this are hilarious. OMG, won't play as Americunz because I played them in the past, but playing as Germans never gets old! :rolleyes: Unique Americunz equipment is boring, but playing another country with more 5 shot bolt action rifles is so different!

This mentality does humor me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

#1, I never paid for their maps or DLC's nor would I ever. (in other words, I don't think it's ok)

#2, I have never paid for a modification of a game ever and I'm not about to start paying for one now, especially when 50-70% of it can already be found in many other similar WWII FPS's.

The US Soldiers, Battles and Weapons can be found in many.... MANY other FPS's and the Pacific front has already been covered by such games as Medal of Honour and Call of Duty, which has many of the same Japanese weapons.

And another thing that bugs me about this game are these so-called Spawn Bunkers.

They sound like Spawn Camping Death Traps to me..... I highly doubt you're going to have an American team of players setup around a spawn bunker as they showed in the video and I highly doubt you're going to have Japanese players hiding inside those spawn bunkers until someone tosses a satchel forcing them out to get slaughtered.

What's more likely going to happen is you're going to have 2-3 US Team players camping out over top of those spawn bunkers and getting some really cheap & easy kills as Jap Team players rush out to their death....

... especially once everybody gets familiar with the map layouts and where these bunkers are all located.

Seems like a bad feature to me.

What did the Italians do in WW2?

Are you being serious or funny?

I can't tell

Posts like this are hilarious. OMG, won't play as Americunz because I played them in the past, but playing as Germans never gets old! :rolleyes: Unique Americunz equipment is boring, but playing another country with more 5 shot bolt action rifles is so different!

This mentality does humor me.

I've already clearly explained my reasons and why... if you want to look beyond the obvious and sum up what I said to make yourself feel better, go right ahead.

Maybe next time you could open your eyes a bit better and read though what is actually said:

The reason why I'm so sick of the same weapons and same battles from the same allied nation is because there's no learning curve left to tackle. It's all the same weapons, which all basically operate the same way as the next game.

Picking up a PPSH, PPD, DP28 or another Soviet weapon was refreshing as they sounded, operated and aimed differently from the same old same old.

Even using the German weapons in RO was refreshing as most of the US based games didn't allow you to play as the "Bad Guy" or if they did, you had a selection between the MP40 or the K98.... and once in a while, a mounted MG34 or 42 somewhere on the map.... and their operational mechanics were done badly.

But hey... take things out of context and try to troll away if you like. It's also why I never got into Darkest Hour (among other reasons)

Either way I don't give two craps what humors you with what I say... this is my position, I explained myself clearly and whether or not you agree or like what I say won't change it.

The bottom line is that there's nothing specifically wrong with US focused WWII Shooters, or your history or your weapons, except for the fact that for me, it's all been over saturated in the last decade or two.

I just need a break from that stuff to try new weapons, new tactics, new battles, new history..... well, new as in history that hasn't been over exposed.

That's what interests me about Red Orchestra and Mare Nostrum, and why I didn't stick around for Darkest Hour, or have much interest in Rising Storm..... so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0