• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2: More players?

My question is if the game is dead, why come pronounce it on the forums? When I think a game is "dead", I move on.

Frankly, it's because some people apparently WANT it to be dead since they don't care for it. So they do their very best to make sure nearly every thread has at least one "RO2 is dead" post in it.

Drecks: Your point on the other hand is very well made. I personally only have a real interest in the bigger custom maps but as you certainly know, getting them filled is a challenge. Hope the redirect issues get sorted soon...

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
and yet they continue to announce a death prematurely even though many still play....

Many?! where's your 'Many'. The current steam-stat viewers going around dont take into account the many many servers filled with bots. there are barely 200 players at high times during the week. My graduating class had more people.
I dont mean to promote these "the game is dead" threads but I wont sit and accept people shoveling horse****e at a time when we need honest and objective outlooks on this game. Saying "many people still play this game so no worries" will not help this game become the best it can be.
And if people really think this is the best it can be then you and your game are truly lost.

Upvote 0
Many?! where's your 'Many'. The current steam-stat viewers going around dont take into account the many many servers filled with bots. there are barely 200 players at high times during the week. My graduating class had more people.
I dont mean to promote these "the game is dead" threads but I wont sit and accept people shoveling horse****e at a time when we need honest and objective outlooks on this game. Saying "many people still play this game so no worries" will not help this game become the best it can be.
And if people really think this is the best it can be then you and your game are truly lost.
Agreed. It would be much more productive if people were honest with themselves about the game's population issues so that we can actually address it as a community. I agree that it's not very productive to constantly spam "RO2 is dead" everywhere arbitrarily -- this solves nothing. But at the same time, not being willing to admit that there IS a problem is just as bad (if not worse). I too can't stand it when people try to claim otherwise in the face of reality.

I fear that even with potentially very positive additions (such as RO Classic, which I haven't had a chance to play yet), the playerbase will remain very very small. The first step in addressing and fixing a problem is to admit that there is one, and that's a big step that many in this community refuse to take.

I've seen lots of gaming communities die off because their members were complacent and "OK" with the status quo of low player numbers, or whatever the situation may have been at the time. If we want this game to survive (in any form) then people need to first wake up to reality so that something can be done about it. If most of us aren't on the same page, I fail to see how things will improve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO:OST had a small playerbase too, look how well that lasted. There was always a tight community, where you could meet the same people over and over again in-game.

The number of players at any one time ranges from 200 to around 800/900 for RO2. Are you only looking at the smallest number? It's been like this for a while now, I'm not saying it's not low, but it's normal. All games work this way. AAA titles pull in vastly more people initally, but they all follow the gaming trend of having around 10% of their starting player ammounts playing consistently. They simply have more players now because they started with more players.

Comparing RO2 with AAA games, notice the peak player number tail-off.
[url]http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450q42680q72850&from=0[/URL]

I don't know, maybe I am optimistic, but it doesn't look wrong to me.

Upvote 0
One of the best solutions would be is that all servers decide to drop Fritz and Ivan. So human players start or better said are forced to play together.

As now the number of human players we have are kind of fooled by server player numbers and join to find out they are together with Fritz and Ivan.

When we drop the bots people will see the real number of players and join together to play.
Its proven already that bots have no use in seeding a server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One of the best solutions would be is that all servers decide to drop Fritz and Ivan. So human players start or better said are forced to play together.

As now the number of human players we have are kind of fooled by server player numbers and join to find out they are together with Fritz and Ivan.

When we drop the bots people will see the real number of players and join together to play.
I agree with this fully

Upvote 0
i'm still optimistic that ro2 can survive. the player count over the last few months is pretty low but stable. stuff like discount offers on steam or a free weekend might attract lots of new players when the classic mode and multiplayer campaign are officially released.
just look at killing floor: two special offers since christmas last year have doubled the player count. i have hope something similar will happen to ro2.

Upvote 0
Seems to me when I've played in the morning/afternoon, between US, UK and Russian servers in particular, there are 4 or 5 servers filled to capacity with live players.
I know my memory is far from perfect, but during the RO days, there would be 1/2 of that at best.

LOL Are we really comparing RO2 to RO1 like this? As if 4 or 5 full servers is anything to boast about. Saying that "We have twice the player base as RO1" is almost an insult.
Again... defending things like this right now is not what this game needs. We need to be honest and objective with it and objectively, 400 players on a weekend is not good. If this is what tripwire was shooting for then we have larger problems on our hands.

And don't go off with "Well steam stats say we are getting close to 1000 players on weekend high times".... That's including bots.

We have a great 'Classic Mode' in the works and from what I'm hearing, it's a pretty steller improvement over RO2 vanilla. So let's hope that over time we can rebuild this player base.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL Are we really comparing RO2 to RO1 like this? As if 4 or 5 full servers is anything to boast about. Saying that "We have twice the player base as RO1" is almost an insult.
Again... defending things like this right now is not what this game needs. We need to be honest and objective with it and objectively, 400 players on a weekend is not good. If this is what tripwire was shooting for then we have larger problems on our hands.

And don't go off with "Well steam stats say we are getting close to 1000 players on weekend high times".... That's including bots.

We have a great 'Classic Mode' in the works and from what I'm hearing, it's a pretty steller improvement over RO2 vanilla. So let's hope that over time we can rebuild this player base.

If you are interested in improving RO2 why do you only hear that the beta is good rather than actually play it, helping shape its development? - it can't require that much more effort than posting so much on these forums.

Classic mode will certainly help to appease the RO:Ost fanbase though, that's true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree, but there are probably a lot of server admins who add the bots so that their server is high on the list when sorting it by player numbers.

That said, I don't mind a low number of bots on a server, 6 -10 so that players can at least attempt to enjoy the maps while waiting for others, especially true when testing beta maps. But those servers with high numbers of bots, upwards of 64.... Really, is that necessary? I ignore them completely and if I accidentally join, I quit them as I feel they are part of the problem.

Upvote 0
Oh, and to add, if you are waiting for the Classic mode to come out, why not jump into the Beta and try it? Add your feedback to everyone elses? It would boost numbers and might accelerate a few things with the added feedback.

I can just see a few of these people who wait and don't test... they will be the first to complain about something they don't care for when they could have said something before Classic mode goes final. Don't be one of those people!!!

Upvote 0
And it's not bot count included!

I don't think this one includes the Bots.

nobots.jpg

As this is my Steam browser with empty servers filtered out. Its with bots. As an example I highlighted a server where it said 27 players. But "View server info" shows three humans.

bots.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are interested in improving RO2 why do you only hear that the beta is good rather than actually play it, helping shape its development? - it can't require that much more effort than posting so much on these forums.

Classic mode will certainly help to appease the RO:Ost fanbase though, that's true.

Because Nestor, my gaming rig has been waiting to receive a new motherboard. If you are so concerned, I'll let you know that I ordered one, along with other parts, and the mobo was DOA. I have every intention in playing the Classic Mode as soon as possible, but seeing as neither my work Mac Pro nor my MacBook Pro are able to install RO, I think I'll just have to hear about it second hand and wait until the new mobo arrives. Thank you for inquiring though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought the game

I bought the game

Just letting everyone know I bought the game today and am currently installing. Low player count sucks but if classic is good then word of mouth may help. crazier things have happened.

That said, wherever we are in the world as players, we could maybe set up threads by continent, timezone. Would give a picture (at least of the forums) of who is where and how many players they can expect to be on at any given peak time (I assume after work, in the evening is peak for weekdays).

Anyways just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

The Bulldog

Upvote 0