• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Changing Title Screen Images

videofreak

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Maine, USA
Hey, not sure if this has been answered anywhere before, but is it possible to edit the images that display on the title screen? I want to make a set to accompany Half-Dead's classic zeds mod, but I don't know how or if it's even possible. I know the title screen is actually a .rom map file that cycles the images on the face of a cube, so does that mean I have to have a decompiled version the map or is there somewhere where those textures are stored in the game files?
Thanks.

Hey, not sure if this has been answered anywhere before, but is it possible to edit the images that display on the title screen? I want to make a set to accompany Half-Dead's classic zeds mod, but I don't know how or if it's even possible. I know the title screen is actually a .rom map file that cycles the images on the face of a cube, so does that mean I have to have a decompiled version the map or is there somewhere where those textures are stored in the game files?
Thanks.

The the title screen itself is a map file that rotates through textures, to edit the images you will need to hex edit the texture file that has the images, or edit it through the editor but this will cause mismatches online

Upvote 0
What do you mean by the title screen? The screen that shows up when you join a server? If that's what you mean, then it's possible since WPC was able to change that for their mod.

Thats not what he ment.

I know the title screen is actually a .rom map file that cycles the images on the face of a cube.

He know what he wants, its KF-Intro.rom. The textures for the specimen slideshow are in KillingFloorHUD.utx. You can edit the the textures (Which i did on my pirate version of KF that shows Event and Custom zeds.) but it well cause mismatching :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats not what he ment.

He know what he wants, its KF-Intro.rom. The textures for the specimen slideshow are in KillingFloorHUD.utx. You can edit the the textures (Which i did on my pirate version of KF that shows Event and Custom zeds.) but it well cause mismatching :/

KF-Intro is for the Intro (That shows the TWI logo and Unreal logo), He is talking about KF-Menu

Upvote 0
Do you mean mismatching if someone tries to load kf-menu.rom on a server, or just an inability to join any servers? I'm doubting it's the former because that would hardly be a problem at all.

With hex editing it won't but if you edit it directly using KFed you will not be able to join any server using the original, only servers using your version

Upvote 0
KF-Intro is for the Intro (That shows the TWI logo and Unreal logo), He is talking about KF-Menu

Yeah I mixed them up :p

So as Gartly said...We can make a new KF-Menu.rom but instead reading from a new texture file...wouldn't that work? (Unless a server want a to RDM and picks KF-Menu)

Also another question...what would happen if you allow specimens to spawn on the map, would the menu have specimens walking around :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, I might be able to whip some up in a couple days.
Off the top of your head, do you know what the size constraints are?
1024x1024 I'm pretty sure and they're all centered on the images in case you were wondering. here's one i sized down as a reference.
oJ7zjl.jpg

Upvote 0
Hex editing is stil a controversial subject on these boards as TWI stated they don't support this way of modding and will take action in the near future regarding these modifications. Don't shoot the messenger.. :)

Client side texture editing doesn't seem so bad unless you are using it for hacky purposes like they did in UT2004 with transparent textures. We need a KF version of Anti-TCC

Upvote 0