• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Kriegstadt: Der Untergang Berlins

There was a fair (but I wouldn't say overly organized) attempt at teamwork; part of the confusion is that the killed soldiers, as you probably know, "moonwalk" for a while after they die, which makes it difficult to distinguish the living from the dead in the thick of battle. I think fixing this would go a long way in clearing up some of the confusion.

This is no fault of my own and it is the duty of the server admin to properly configure their server. If they didn't read the readme there isn't much I can do.

Gamburd said:
What about smoke grenades for both sides?? That would help the Russians; maybe also the Germans.

[I don't know historically if the Germans still had smoke grenades in the final days of the Reich, or if they are just overused in the RO game.]

Smoke grenades are overused in stock RO insofar as I am concerned, and the lack of smoke is one of the primary things I want to keep in the map. If you added smoke, you could effectively screen an entire street. The German MGs would be rendered useless, as would the Russian tanks.

I don't know if I've said it here or in the beta 1 thread, but the first objective has been revamped for beta 2. I know and have known that there are issues there and I have corrected them, and quite honestly, smoke isn't the answer.

Upvote 0
I was playing Kriegstadt Beta 2 the other night, and remembered another complaint that came up during the course of the game and has come up in past gaming sessions is that the color of the German and Russian uniforms look very similar (I'm not talking about the equipment on the Soviet soldier's back that was mentioned already).

I don't know much about WWII uniforms, but I think the German gray had a shade of "sea green" in it, like in your map. Were the German and Russian uniforms sort of similar in color in the final days of the war??

It is a little harder to distinguish friend and foe alike in this map than in the standard Field Gray / Brown uniforms in the other maps in RO. This definitely adds a little to the difficulty encountered in playing this map.

I realize that your map is striving for historical accuracy as best as you can get, and a lot of players, myself included, really appreciate that and say thanks.

Upvote 0
Uniform color for the Soviets is being addressed. The uniforms were indeed green, but I believe I had made mine too gray. For Beta 3, the color will be adjusted to be more of a darker green with a bit of a yellow tint. For an example, I used the following images as well as seeing Soviet soldiers in Theatre of War for my inspiration in making the uniforms a green-gray.

http://aboutww2militaria.com/May2007/soviettunic1.htm

Though admittedly the green in the previous link is darker than how I have it.

These are images of Soviet M43 tunics, one for enlisted and one for NCOs. Note the light green-gray color.

cec8_1.JPG
56c5_1.JPG

The coloring of these uniforms isn't too far from how I had set it up, but they still need work. See also this image for an example of a darker M43 tunic.

Also, for a Beta 2 -> Beta 3 comparison, see below:

Keep in mind that the colors are not going to be perfectly in sync with those of the research images provided, solely for the sake of keeping with the dark theme of the map itself. I suppose it is also worth noting that the uniforms during the battle would be darker anyway, due to the amount of dirt and smoke which likely clung to them.

In regard to your question about the German uniforms, historically yes, they did tend to include shades of green, but the coloring of German wool varied greatly, especially toward the end of the war. For example, the following image shows all original German uniforms, with the four on the right being produced in 1943. Imagine how it would have been in 1944 / 1945!

Fieldgrey.jpg

Thanks for your inquiries. It's good to not have a clear-cut contrast between the uniforms a la stock RO with the green/yellow divide, but the closer you bring the colors together or reduce their distinctiveness from a distance, the more difficult it begins to become to distinguish friend from foe, meaning you really have to think before you pull the trigger.

Upvote 0
I noticed that most of the time when I'm waiting to be "deployed" to KriegStadt, and after several minutes, finally connect with the Map, after when I join a side, pick my combat role, and press continue, the screen freezes, and I'm left with the screen stuck where you pick the combat role you want to play.

I then press ESCAPE, and I can spectate, but I can only see the opening courtyard where the Soviets spawn I believe, and that's it.

This tends to happen most of the time, even though I've played the map now at least 6 times.

Then I have to go back to the Main Menu, then Internet Servers, then join the Server, wait several more minutes, and usually on the second try I can join the KriegStadt Map and finally play.

For whatever reason, this is the only Map in which I have this sort of problem connecting.

Does anyone else have this problem?? Can it be fixed??

My Computer has only an ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB HyperMemory card with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, so it is on the low end (in response to the question below, my System Memory is 1023.1MB of RAM).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm guessing that you have 512mb of RAM as well, which is probably your problem. I'm guessing that since it is taking you so long to load the map, your connection is dropped, it happened a lot when I had 512mb too. I think the only real solution to this would be to turn off precacheing and such, and if you've already done that, I guess your just out of luck :mad:.

Upvote 0
It's good to not have a clear-cut contrast between the uniforms a la stock RO with the green/yellow divide, but the closer you bring the colors together or reduce their distinctiveness from a distance, the more difficult it begins to become to distinguish friend from foe, meaning you really have to think before you pull the trigger.

I really hope you're right, EH, I really do. I personally MUCH prefer these unis to the stock RO ones -don't know why but I do.

I hope that people can use something other than colours for enemy recogniton as the Romanian and Russian summer colours in Carpathian Crosses are pretty much the same - I tend to rely on looking at people's headgear.

summer_shoulder.jpg

Upvote 0