• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
www.after-hourz.com
I finally got a few minutes to put together some teaser information. Sorry it still isn't much.

Scenario: Late June, 1941. Panzer Group 2 heads for the Berezina River with Smolensk as the next major objective. Remnants of the RKKA 4th Army are pulling together holding actions and digging in along the western banks of the Berezina in efforts to slow the German attack. Russian infantry are establishing a series of defense lines extending approximately 1km west of the river in three lines: a skirmisher line meant to detect direction of the enemy attack; a 'first' defense line of improvised trench works and shallow bunkers; a 'second' defense line occupying a ridge line just east of a small collective farm; and a 'river' defense line covering the one standing bridge over the river.

Objectives: Numerous. I am hoping to establish a series of right and left objectives that weave together to central points before branching out again to allow hard hold and flank moves putting a premium on communication and use of vehicles.

Content: Hopefully some new custom tanks/vehicles and possibly stationary anti-tank guns and maybe a Maxim MG.

Map size: Approximately 800 meters by 1200 meters. 7 main lines of objectives, some with two required cap zones to progress to the next point.

***DEVELOPER DISCLAIMER*** This is my first RO map, first UT engine map. I have released some 4 'Medal of Honor' and 5 'Call of Duty' maps over the last four years. Learning a new tool set has been a challenge. There is a lot I like and a lot that I don't like about these tools...terrain functionality being one of them. NOTE that the following images are of a work in progress so no need for critical input like "why no map edging" or "needs more cover" or anything of the sort. Please. I hope to attach some CoD/Berezina pictures later in the thread to give some more ideas of the scope I am trying to reach. Thanks!

I'm having a nightmare getting images in properly etc and getting in trouble for having too many images...how it counts is beyond me so I've cut the list down and too annoyed to yet again type up the descriptions of each image...more later.

Shot00000.jpg
shot0000.jpg

Shot00001.jpg
shot0000.jpg

Shot00002.jpg

Shot00003.jpg

Shot00004.jpg

Shot00005.jpg

Shot00006.jpg

shot0000.jpg

I have a 4 page document that describes the entire map from end to end, actually. That more or less is my design doc. What you see in the pictures is the western most section. The picture with the PzIII and SD is the jump off point for the Germans. I will have the Russian infantry and armor split at the round start.

I will have the Russian infantry start off along the first ridge line with the sandbags. There is a sunken road there also along the ridge top. The spawns will be along that line with a couple in that first small village. These are the first two objectives. Consider them 1a and 1b, either can be capped first, but both must be taken to attack the next objective seen across that rather open valley with trench works near the crest. Russian armor crews will start about 1/2 way across the map at the main village. Their job will be to find out from the 'outpost' infantry where the German attack is heading, right or left, and go out to meet it. I want to put some paniced pressure on the Germans to smash into the Russians fast and gain all the ground they can before the big KVs come up to meet them. For the Russians, I want to instill some of that "OH F*** we are SO screwed..." feeling of having nothing but an ATR to slow down the PzIIIs and IVs. The 'outpost' guys are throw aways, really, but they will have a chance to slow down the Germans and inflict some heavy casualties if they work as a team.

Hopefully the map will offer a lot of tactical and strategic level options and can play a bit differently each time. If we can get some functional AT guns, watch out! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.