• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please stop speeking bad about zerk.

<NUT> N

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
First, sorry for my english if is not good im sorry is not my tongue.
Well i read always lot and lot of threads about if zerk is OP and they play alone, they kill all zeds, they got lots of money, infinite ammo, etc, so i say please stop that, i love play zerk but not for this reason that OP, no need ammo, cheaps weapons, i only play zerk because is very funny perk, y love run around zeds and kill all whit my katana, and the tension when they trapped me, is funny that, now the weapons of zerk are more balanced in money than before Moonbase event, before that yes was really cheap, you can got full equiped in wave 2 sometimes, but now need maybe to wave 3 or 4 to full equip, and me always share my money whit all players whit deads and whit news first, later whit sups or demos because always need money for ammo, and about OP i dont think that because that should be in all maps and this is not the truth, because you in maps like Bioticlabs, Offices, Hellride, Biohazard, and some more, you die as zerk in 2 waves, coz dont have any way to run in close maps zerk sucks a lot, and if is OP i mean you can do anything, and you CAN'T, so i dont think really was OP, depend of map, and in open maps if dont have LAR you die in 2 seconds againsts sirens that spawn in your face 2 sirens can kill you in 2 seconds if you take in your face, whith other perk, have more posibilities of survive for fire range. And i can say more details about that, but the most bigs i think i say here. I love play zerk, but depend of the map, and i dont think he is OP, and he is a free perk because no need lot of money, and not always kill all zeds and of course he DIE somtimes is not invincible. So i hate the threads say it sorry to all but is my sincere opinion.

Greeting N.

... now the weapons of zerk are more balanced in money than before Moonbase event, before that yes was really cheap, you can got full equiped in wave 2 sometimes, but now need maybe to wave 3 or 4 to full equip, and me always share my money whit all players whit deads and whit news first, later whit sups or demos because always need money for ammo,...

It doesn't matter if you're equipped by wave 3, 4 or wave 2. The same specimens spawn until wave 5. Your axe is fine for the whole game anyways. They cost a little bit more now, but zerker doesn't really have to spend money on ammo, and their weapons received a MAJOR buff with the addition of AoE. All the cash nerf did was make it more difficult to procure melee weapons off-perk.

and about OP i dont think that because that should be in all maps and this is not the truth, because you in maps like Bioticlabs, Offices, Hellride, Biohazard, and some more, you die as zerk in 2 waves, coz dont have any way to run in close maps zerk sucks a lot, and if is OP i mean you can do anything, and you CAN'T, so i dont think really was OP, depend of map,

Alright, you're not helping your case here. All the maps you listed are kiteable by a zerker. In fact a zerker is able to kite those maps much easier than any other perk. Stating that you are dying in 2 waves, and assuming everyone else must too, only makes you sound inexperienced. This is not helping to lend credibility to your opinion.

and in open maps if dont have LAR you die in 2 seconds againsts sirens that spawn in your face

No you don't

2 sirens can kill you in 2 seconds if you take in your face, whith other perk, have more posibilities of survive for fire range. And i can say more details about that,

Zerker has the best chances of surviving 2 sirens 'spawning in your face' out of all the perks. It also seems like you've forgotten about the buzzsaw bow with the range thing. Even without the bsbow, there's the scream cancel or the usual way zerks deal without guns with it: run away and use 9mm.

but the most bigs i think i say here. I love play zerk, but depend of the map, and i dont think he is OP, and he is a free perk because no need lot of money, and not always kill all zeds and of course he DIE somtimes is not invincible. So i hate the threads say it sorry to all but is my sincere opinion.

Greeting N.

Your argument seems to be that since not every map is best off for kiting, the zerk is not an OP perk, which doesn't really address any of the countless reasons beserker has been declared OP.

I mean it's great you're having fun playing the game and everything, but this wasn't worth starting a thread over.

Upvote 0
@ <NUTS> N

Odd, your profile pic is surprisingly fitting to how I felt when I read this title :)

Nah seriously: while I accept the arguement that the Berserker gives you plenty of money to pass to the rest of the team, the fact of the matter is the Berzerker melts his way through anything the game can chuck at him. People complain about how OP he is because he IS just that OP.

Although you might find him fun, I, and numerous other people, found ourselves bored out of our skulls waiting for a Berserker to finish a round... and I'm not just talking about when being dead. Sometimes your team gets wiped and you have to sit in spectator waiting for the end of the wave. It feels like purgatory with how mind numbingly boring it is. However sometimes while you are still alive, the Berserker is there kiting a large portion of the wave behind him. I've been in games before where I've seen maybe 1 specimen every 10 seconds where they are all following the Berserker.

What do you do then? Well you go out to actually find something to do before your mind rots, and before you know it you get surrounded by a sudden spawn you didn't anticipate and you are back to square 1 again, waiting for the Zerker to finish.

If the Berserker didn't cause the situation where other players are sat knifing each other and attempting to try platforming games by jumping on various parts edges of the environment there would be alot less issue about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Limit the number of self-heals (# of heals up to debate) Berserker has per wave on HoE. Now they'll have to put that movement speed bonus and inability to be grabbed to greater use to dodge incoming hits. And they'll have to play more tactically to minimize the possibility of getting ambushed; not to mention save up as much health points as possible (by avoiding damage) in case they do get ambushed. All of a sudden, Berserker takes a lot more skill to play no?

Upvote 0
if dont have a LAR you will die in 2 seconds against sirens that spawn in your face. 2 sirens can kill you in 2 seconds

But how often are you unable to get a LaR?

I feel like I have to weigh in on this thread. Yes, there are borderline impossible situations in the begining of a wave for a berserker but generally it's nothing you can't escape by holding down the left mouse button and running towards the path of least resistance. Once all enemies are on one side of you and they've reached the maximum allowed at any one time you can casually heal yourself back up and kill a few enemies at a time, removing the possibility of being flanked in any serious manner.

I feel the fact that so many people (visibly) use berserker kiting as a way of beating Hell on Earth maps that they don't succeed in otherwise is evidence enough of the berserker problem.

I also there's no need to be protective of the berserker because my suggestion has always been to remove some or all of the berserker movement bonuses. As I've said many times I don't believe the berserker needs them to help a team that's camping, and that all it would to is remove the berserker's ability to ditch the team and win it on his own. Unless you want the berserker to be able to do that or if you think the berserker would suddenly be unable to do his job of being the pointman for the team, I don't think anyone would really come out a loser from this.

Upvote 0
No. The zerk was overpowered.

Since introduction of dwarfs axe and adding aoe attack to all his weapons, he's ridiculously overpowered.

I gotta disagree on the Dwarf Axe. Overall it is a pretty ****ty weapon. Terrible swing speed. And the knock back isn't really overpowered. Sure you can push back a raging fp, but you need really open map to do it without getting hit. Also bad reach.

Upvote 0
IMO the Zerker needs his AOE removed on all weapons except the Claymore/Scythe, Dwarfs axe no longer knocks back FP's and specifically Raging Scrakes, price reduction on his melee weapons, and removal of his speed bonus.

All the price increase did was slightly delay the problem and remove all viability of off-perk melee weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO the Zerker needs his AOE removed on all weapons except the Claymore/Scythe, Dwarfs axe no longer knocks back FP's and specifically Raging Scrakes, price reduction on his melee weapons, and removal of his speed bonus.

All the price increase did was slightly delay the problem and remove all viability of off-perk melee weapons.

^This

Upvote 0

I can see the claymore/scythe thing happening. Maybe the melee weapons going back down.

Scaling back the movement speed bonus to something like 20%, possibly. But leave the Dwarfs Axe alone. That thing is fun to use because it's so impractical. Sure you can primary a scrake/ fp to knock it back. But it takes longer than just using a claymore and kiting the FP or stunning that Scrake. >_>

Upvote 0
Chainsaw also seems horribly underpowered and would probably benefit from having regular melee movement speed. No one actually uses it.

I actually figure that it would be fine the way it is if the attack was the strongest of all melee weapons, but because of its weight, you were still slowed and unable to equip a decent sidearm. But it would have to be super tough, for example raging a Fleshpound in one hit but being able to decapitate it if you had full health and maybe some armor. Make it the ultimate tank's weapon.

Upvote 0

I could go for this, but if you remove his speed bonus, then you better up his swing speed and/or damage because then he is a slow tank who WILL take damage due to him having to be at point blank range in order to do attacks that benefit his perk. I mean, seriously, if you remove the speed buff, then you have to give him a way of protecting himself from blunt force damage. With other perks, (except medic, kinda) you can keep a safe distance and kill others without getting in their face.

As for dwarf axe?!?, its to funny and unique to really mess with. its fun on low gravity maps, but on regular maps, it isnt that beneficial.

Upvote 0
I am going to repeat my points that I said earlier :

- AoE doesn't need to be removed, but its damage needs to be nerfed. (Maybe a 33% damage reduction for all AoE attacks?)
- Scythe range needs to be reduced by at least 25%.
- The buzzsaw bow is the main reason why the Berzerker class is OP. What needs to be done is either to sharply reduce the effective range of the weapon, and sharply reduce the speed of the projectiles, or to give the weapon to the Sharpshooter instead.

Upvote 0
I actually figure that it would be fine the way it is if the attack was the strongest of all melee weapons, but because of its weight, you were still slowed and unable to equip a decent sidearm. But it would have to be super tough, for example raging a Fleshpound in one hit but being able to decapitate it if you had full health and maybe some armor. Make it the ultimate tank's weapon.

That's not such a bad idea. Would make the Chainsaw stand out a bit from the other melee weapons.

And I agree that the Buzzsaw Bow needs a nerf. Just jacking up the price only delays the problem instead of fixing it.

Upvote 0