• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

Technically Flashpoint 2 isn't claiming to be a sim either. You won't see them lisensing their game to the army... It's a tactical shooter and advertised as such. As I said, it has a certain Ghost-Recon-ish vibe to it (not GR1, but GR2 or GRAW) and that's ok for a tactical shooter. You still have the huge levels, and the strategic gameplay that comes with them, but it won't be a sim.

I don't mind that. I enjoy many tactical games that aren't sims. RO, obviously, Raven Shield, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Vietcong, Brothers in Arms... What counts for me is that the game is strategic and it doesn't try to bullshoot me (like, say pretending to be all realistic with black and white war footage as intros while actually being a Serious Sam goes ww2 romp).

From what I've seen up to now Flashpoint 2 seems to fit the bill!
They have the general goal to make a realistic game so if they can get a dynamic AI up and running and they get accuracy and damage of weapons somewhat right there is little that can go wrong, with the big levels.
Heck, even in Mercenaries 1, which is far from even aspiring to be realistic, the big open levels gave it a certain "strategicness". So if the AI works and weapons and movement aren't completely arcadey I think the game is going to be at least playable.

I'm a little bitter that they use the Flashpoint name to sell their game and I will be even bitterer when people who like Flashpoint 2 and haven't played Flashpoint back in the days begin to put Flashpoint 2 over Flashpoint 1. Especially if they bring up superflous arguments like 3d iron sights vs 2d iron sights as an argument that FP2 is more realistic. Or, shame on me, I know it's stupid, if they feel good for making it through FP2 and they think they are hardcore realism gamers now although they haven't even tried to beat the old Flashpoint.:eek:

Upvote 0
I'm a little bitter that they use the Flashpoint name to sell their game and I will be even bitterer when people who like Flashpoint 2 and haven't played Flashpoint back in the days begin to put Flashpoint 2 over Flashpoint 1. Especially if they bring up superflous arguments like 3d iron sights vs 2d iron sights as an argument that FP2 is more realistic. Or, shame on me, I know it's stupid, if they feel good for making it through FP2 and they think they are hardcore realism gamers now although they haven't even tried to beat the old Flashpoint.:eek:

Just the thought of that makes me cringe already.
If someone tells me that i'd wish i could choke people through a computer screen.
This is already happening with kiddies playing Vegas though, so i should be used to it by now but it still gets me every time.

Upvote 0
Fine, I'll bite...

Yes, RO has death messages, but it's a totally different game with different philosophies on realism. You can't really compare the two. Besides, there are servers who disable them and I agree, it makes the game more realistic.

Yes, ArmA has crosshairs. But then again, knowing where your muzzle is pointing is easier in real life than in game. So it kinda makes up for it.

Yes, ArmA and OFP has third person, but third person is just that: a camera setting. By your logic, IL-2 isn't realistic either because it has third person. Most people don't even use third person for normal gameplay, except for making screenshots or something. It's mostly aesthetic. Besides, there are servers who disable third person.

All of these games are still fundamentally realistic. Those features don't substract from the realism.

Have you ever seen a realistic game that has hit feedback? I haven't, because such a feature belongs in arcade FPSs.

And no, I'm not biased or anything, because hit feedback would suck in ArmA and RO too. Imagine if BIS decided to add that in ArmA 2. You would see the exact same reaction from me, and I'm sure almost every ArmA fan.

But hey, if you believe hit feedback is a realistic feature, that's fine.

All I have to say about that.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. But so far, there isn't a single indication that OFP2 will be a worthy successor of OFP, let alone be on par with OFP's and ArmA's realism.

This is what it really boils down to, supposedly this is a sequal to OFP, but the way it is marketed.. they seem to have missed the target audience by a mile, maybe the game can be made to feel very OFP like by disabling arcady junk in the menu's, but we have been given no indication of this, all media we have seen show's quite relaxed realism compared to OFP, and a heavy emphasis on cornball action sequences that woulden't look out of place in a hollywood flick.
When they seem this clueless about how to market the game to OFP fans, why should we trust they have done a better job of making the game for OFP fans?

Upvote 0
It makes it easier in knowing that you hit someone.
And unless you have clear sight on the hit, that is something you couldnt know any other way in real life. And if you had clear sight on the hit, you dont need a damn marker to show you.
Shooting someone through bushes is a matter of luck and hoping you hit something, you need to keep worrying about him untill youve checked his body. Not anymore.

Original OFP/ARMA had settings that marked in red enemy soldiers and had 3rd person. These are both GROSSLY unrealistic and easily on par with hit detection. And they could both be turned off.

I'm positive that marker can be turned off.

From the reviews so far ARMA2 is incredibly buggy and STILL has ****ty AI so my money is on this (first ARMA2 review gave it a 4/10). ARMA2 might be fanstastic a year from now after 12 patches/mods but for now, I'm hoping this is at least a STABLE RELEASE.

Upvote 0
I think you guys are over-reacting because you have a major bias towards Bohemia Interactive. but the truth is Bohemia has been proven to release broken games one after another, and they are not as realistic as people say, IMO RO is more realistic than ArmA or Flashpoint, while it doesn't have as many features, the game feels much more natural and playable, making the game less forgiving to the player does not necessarily means its more realistic.

I won't say anything about Flashpoint 2 until I play it myself, so I'm not really defending it here.

...and as for the suckiness of ArmA2: I told you so

Upvote 0
I think you guys are over-reacting because you have a major bias towards Bohemia Interactive. but the truth is Bohemia has been proven to release broken games one after another, and they are not as realistic as people say, IMO RO is more realistic than ArmA or Flashpoint, while it doesn't have as many features, the game feels much more natural and playable, making the game less forgiving to the player does not necessarily means its more realistic.

I won't say anything about Flashpoint 2 until I play it myself, so I'm not really defending it here.

...and as for the suckiness of ArmA2: I told you so
True.

So for gods sake girls stop crying, you'll be able to turn off hit detection anyways. Sure it's not neccessary, but that's exactly what they meant by making it accessible for other players as well, mainly by adding optional settings like those. So what's the problem if you don't have to deal with it? Does the sole possibility make you go so crazy that you feel fooled?

I stated it often enough myself that currently I am not really looking forward to OFP2 atm, but those bash-discussions are just sad.

Upvote 0
How.. underwhelming.
Movement looks clunky and the animation of the rifle while walking/running looks absolutely horrible.
Command system seems to lack detail so far, only very few options to order your team afaik, at least nowhere near as indepth as OFP.
And that framerate is questionable, it could be the video but on some points it is good, on other points its like a slideshow.

And the radio seems to have the same pitfall as OFP/ArmA, chopped into pieces that are put together.

Upvote 0
Movement looks okay to me. Certainly no more clunkier than what ArmA puts me through atm. Animations are okay too, though nothing special (at least there actually ARE reload animations). The rest of the graphics look promising (i.e. better than what the screenshots made me think) and the chopped sound files sound about a million times better optimized than ArmAs crap.

Don't like the menus, but overall it looks good. Can't be much worse than ARMA II lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0