• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More level 6's playing on Hard

Left 4 Dinner

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2012
Its been going on for quite a while, but I just don't get why some people play on a Hard difficulty while being a level 6. Now, I understand that some people play as a level 6 just so they can get enough money to switch classes, and buy weapons for their class that their trying to level up, and I even understand players that do it whenever the team is really noobish or if its the final wave. However, I just don't get why almost the entire team stays with one level 6 perk, and sticks with it the whole 11 waves.

A case of this, was yesterday. The map was EvilSantaLair, difficulty Hard. I was with 2 other guys and we were all level 6's for the first 3 nearly 4 waves. After the 3rd wave, I go to my support perk, because its only level 3, and I really want to get it up because support is fun to play, its helpful for a team, and I want more penetration. Well, they stayed as lvl 6's, and then other guys joined us. They all stayed at level 6's till the 7th wave, at which one of them switched to a level 4 demolitions. Now, the frustrating part of this whole thing, is that I was wanting to level up my support perk by taking out a fair number of zeds, but I kept have to deal with others camping near the spawn points (except for this one guy who didn't camp at all) and all i was able to do was take out the single clot that randomly appears out of no where, lots of single zeds (meaning I couldn't get enough to line up for a good shot) and a few scrakes and two fleshies.

My problem isn't that I want to be a kill whore and grab all the kills, but that I wanted to have a way of being able to help out the team by doing dealing out some damage of my own. We went on to win the final wave, but I was only able to get do minimal damage and kills, but I sure as heck did a lot of healing. Now, some people would say that I should have gotten in front of those people, and do some damage, but half of the shots I made, were at dead bodies that just got killed by someone else.

I think Ill just leave it at that, because I feel like I'll just end up going on a rant about demolition spam, sharpy using M99, and zerks being zerks. So, is this a normal to have people play on Hard as a level 6, the whole time, especially when over half of the team is level 6's too? Oh, and I know that a player's level sometimes doesn't match up with a player's skill, but higher level players have such an advantage, from cheaper weapons, to better attributes, to more passive attributes that it gives them the tools to be a better player

Last edited:
Reactions: trick
I hate it. Thing is the few times that I do play these days I'm playing with a friend whose difficulty requirement is hard, so I have to play as a level 6... I'll play as a medic then, typically, and try my best to only heal and do little DPS, but I am contributing to the problem. It does frustrate me to no end though. On my server we have level maxes when it's below Suicidal.

Upvote 0
I play on Hard and Normal servers with level 6 perks because I like helping out newer players beat maps, I give out all my extra money and give tips to staying alive. But the main reason I play on Hard and normal servers is because all the suicide/HOE servers I can see are always empty/high ping for me.

Asshole players will be assholes regardless of skill/level though.

Upvote 0
On my server we have level maxes when it's below Suicidal.

Maybe some will disagree with me, but I really think this is a good thing. Not only is it annoying when lvl 6s take the vast majority of kills while you're trying to level up, I think it also contributes to the problem of people perk-grinding. I can remember joining hard and even normal games and seeing level 6s tearing it up while I struggled to keep up and contribute with my lvl 2 or 3. Rather than enjoying the difficulty that was appropriate to my current level, I felt pressure to hurry up and get my perks higher so I could keep up with the other players.

Upvote 0
As annoying as it is too try and level a lower perk on hard only for one level 6 player to steal a bunch of kills. (I've been trying to level Demo for weeks now, but most times the ZEDs are killed by a lv.6 zerker before they get near my pipes.) I can somewhat understand why they stay in lower difficulty, They wanna play the game their way. Once you hit suicidal/HoE your pretty much forced to play the game the way the server wants you too. For example, most HoE servers will kick you just for using Firebug/Medic Perks or for being a non-zerker during a kite run.

Now you could make the point that it is a co-op game and your supposed to cooperate with your team. but the ultra-serious players found in high level difficulties take it too far sometimes.

Upvote 0
Maybe some will disagree with me, but I really think this is a good thing. Not only is it annoying when lvl 6s take the vast majority of kills while you're trying to level up, I think it also contributes to the problem of people perk-grinding. I can remember joining hard and even normal games and seeing level 6s tearing it up while I struggled to keep up and contribute with my lvl 2 or 3. Rather than enjoying the difficulty that was appropriate to my current level, I felt pressure to hurry up and get my perks higher so I could keep up with the other players.

This is what Im talking about. Yeah I know it helps some people with their e-p*nis, but its annoying because it prevents people from truly playing a certain perk, and being able to experience what its like to play that class. Although, I do remember playing on normals for a while so I could get my perks up to levels 3 and 4, while getting the map achievements, and coming across quite a few level6's getting on there, and acting like they know everything. Then they challenge me to rpove myself, and its sad when a level 4 player is able to out last a level 6 zerk or a level 6 anything.

I admit, that this is one minor reason why I would some times grind on solo with various maps, just so I can actually get a chance to practice my skills and be able to learn how to properly play a particular perk. Im really close to getting my demolitions and support up to level 4. Just about 200k more damage from both perks. oh, and if I play as a lvl 6 on the hard server, its always as a zerk at first, so I can make easy money, and then I switch to medic on the final wave (only use medic gun and Xbow)

If you ask me, I think if you have your perks at lvl 6's, you should just forget about whitelisted servers and start playing on modded servers. Those are the places where you can really play for a long time and not get bored.

This is my thoughts too. As long as I can play on a server that allows perk levels to work (greylisted) then Im more than willing to play on those servers, although I like being able to increase my stats. But if Im all level 6's, then I would only play on Suicidal and Hell On Earth difficulty servers.

Upvote 0
It makes it really annoyingly to level to know that someone could be getting xp, but because everyone is lvl6 and taking the kills, you can't get xp and no-one can.

However, if people want to play in a relaxed environment that they feel comfortable in, who are you or I to judge?

It's their choice, and it doesn't make levelling that much harder, and the 'real' game for people not wanting that kind of environment is sui and preferably HoE.

So it's their choice; to set the amount of challange they want and enjoy.

Upvote 0
This is what Im talking about. Yeah I know it helps some people with their e-p*nis, but its annoying because it prevents people from truly playing a certain perk, and being able to experience what its like to play that class. Although, I do remember playing on normals for a while so I could get my perks up to levels 3 and 4, while getting the map achievements, and coming across quite a few level6's getting on there, and acting like they know everything. Then they challenge me to rpove myself, and its sad when a level 4 player is able to out last a level 6 zerk or a level 6 anything.

I admit, that this is one minor reason why I would some times grind on solo with various maps, just so I can actually get a chance to practice my skills and be able to learn how to properly play a particular perk. Im really close to getting my demolitions and support up to level 4. Just about 200k more damage from both perks. oh, and if I play as a lvl 6 on the hard server, its always as a zerk at first, so I can make easy money, and then I switch to medic on the final wave (only use medic gun and Xbow)

This is my thoughts too. As long as I can play on a server that allows perk levels to work (greylisted) then Im more than willing to play on those servers, although I like being able to increase my stats. But if Im all level 6's, then I would only play on Suicidal and Hell On Earth difficulty servers.

No point to do that once you get lvl 6s on all of your perks. Plus, a lot of the servers that are modded hold up to 30 to 40

Upvote 0
I don't very often play Suicidal or HoE (have only played one game on HoE, never beat the pat) because I have friends who are still working on leveling up, map achievements, and generally improving. I like to stick back on hard with them and have a good time while they learn more and prepare for higher difficulties. All of my perks are 5 or higher at the moment other than berserker and demolitions, which are both 4, so you can often see me playing as a 5 or 6 perk.

That could explain why some people play 6 perks on hard.

Upvote 0
Well, maybe my opinion won't matter much, but here it is.

I generally play on pub servers when I'm just either feeling in a 'team-y' mood, or I'm playing with others. Otherwise, I've been concentrating on playing the game on Solo to beat all the maps on Normal, and to level up past level 2 with pretty much all perks so I feel useful...I still remember when I started and I felt totally worthless to a team.

Right now, My Commando perk is almost level 6, but I"m just starting to feel like I'm at a point where I need to up the ante from Normal, but I'm still playing Normal on account some new friends are playing the game. But I'm gonna be switching around a bit, to level up my other perks.

I guess I'd be contributing to the problem if I'm going to be going out as my level 6 Commando, but I'm not sure I'm ready to move up to Suicidal or HoE.

Upvote 0
Well, maybe my opinion won't matter much, but here it is.

I generally play on pub servers when I'm just either feeling in a 'team-y' mood, or I'm playing with others. Otherwise, I've been concentrating on playing the game on Solo to beat all the maps on Normal, and to level up past level 2 with pretty much all perks so I feel useful...I still remember when I started and I felt totally worthless to a team.

Right now, My Commando perk is almost level 6, but I"m just starting to feel like I'm at a point where I need to up the ante from Normal, but I'm still playing Normal on account some new friends are playing the game. But I'm gonna be switching around a bit, to level up my other perks.

I guess I'd be contributing to the problem if I'm going to be going out as my level 6 Commando, but I'm not sure I'm ready to move up to Suicidal or HoE.

I wouldn't worry about it for awhile. If you played on Normal all the way to level 6 on Commando then the jumps are going to be plenty difficult enough for you to keep you from hogging everything up on Hard. You would be an exception to the thread.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it's me but I only play Hard with friends.

The Hard servers that I've been on have been either; full of try-hard Rambos who think going at it alone is 2cool4school, people who have obviously boosted their perks to 6 because of mistakes only rookies make like mismatched weapons with their perks (a level 6 Berserker with a crossbow), or the clan-mates who only look out for each other.

Upvote 0
Personally i play on hard because all the Sui and HoE servers are either 0/6 or 6/6.

Thus i go to the highest server difficulty with players on it.

That is, when i'm not on the modded server. After L6 modded servers are a good way to level up from L0 without changing anything.

This is similar to the problem i have, can rarely find a HoE or Sui game that isnt either empty or full. though even then i dont usually play as my level 6 perks when on hard unless im messing about.

Upvote 0
I stick to hard cause I don't play enough to be decent on suicidal or HoE, so the few times I do get a chance to play I like to have fun, hence playing on Hard. Hate me if you want, but I don't want to get frustrated and play on suicidal and hoe just cause you are too impatient about leveling your perks

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd note that this goes the other way around too. I went as a level 5 sharpy TODAY (no 6s :( ) to change to 3 zerk on HoE after the first wave. (Had a bunch of my friends, their first time on HoE, levels 0 firebug, 2 medic, 4 zerk).

We were doing fine till at wave 7, some random level 6 douchebag appears and starts complaining how we're not level 6, how we're noobs, how we should go back and $#&* ourselves on a lower difficulty server. Really? :/ I mean seriously, if we were dying all the time okay, we'll go, but it was a pub and we were doing fine (only 2 deaths so far).

Upvote 0
First thing, there is a huge difficulty gap between hard and suicidal, bigger than between any two other consequent modes. Second thing, someone who played this game only casually, but for a long time, can have his perks at level6 and still be not skilled enough to play on suicidal. Thirdly, on suicidal and HoE tactics and knowledge about game mechanics are essential to survive, and not every player is dedicated enough to take time and actually learn them. And lastly, some people play KF just to chill out after stressful day at work and are there just to shoot things, not to fight for their life.

Reactions: trick
Upvote 0