• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously doubt that Splinter Cell series are UE2 games. They was just too smooth, with very detail character and all the effect and everything. I'm still playing Chaos Theory and Double Agent, and I feel it's comparable to UE3.

Beside, if that's correct, It's Ubisoft, they got enough money to do so, while a more economical way is to wait until the feature being implied in the engine and buy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No idea how heavily modified Ubi's UE2 builds have been but they're the only dev that have used it for console builds rather than using UE2X, so that says a lot.

Bioshock is also running on a modified Unreal Engine 2.5.
I think it's fair to note that the modifications consist of UE3 renderers. The framework is UE2 but with UE3 visual capabilities, thus the comparison is fairly tipped.

Upvote 0
I think it's fair to note that the modifications consist of UE3 renderers. The framework is UE2 but with UE3 visual capabilities, thus the comparison is fairly tipped.

That makes sense in terms of the advanced visuals Splinter Cell seems to have with their more recent releases.

I was merely bringing up the fact that modern games still use the UE2.5 engine, so it's not as dated as many people may think (certainly not in the sense that the game MUST be translated to UE3 right this moment). It seems a lot of the gripes users have with Killing Floor in its current state are almost immediately attributed to shortcomings of the the UE2.5 engine, which in most cases I tend to disagree.

I feel TWI is perfectly capable of ironing out certain hitches without doing something as drastic as an engine changeover/making "KF2"...

Upvote 0
I want a Killing Floor 2 but with the Unreal Engine 3. :)
Otherwise, it would be just like L4D2 : non-sense.

Oh, it would be so great with the UE3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, and i'd like to have some more specimens, and more in the like of Lovecraft's creatures : living nightmares, totally non-sense. Just like the gorefast when i think of it. It would be more frightening ! :D

Upvote 0
This newest generation of gamers is spoiled by nice looking graphics while completely ignoring whether or not a game is actually fun to play, they only judge the game by how good it looks.

These players opinions hardly matter and these are the only kind of people who think KF sucks because it isn't on the UE3 engine.

if carlsberg posted on forums...

Upvote 0
That will always be the problem for Valve. Valve's decision to maintain an old, inefficient and honestly horrible Source engine should not be followed. I hope TWI does not continue to use the UE 2.5 and just let KF run it's course. When it's time for KF2, adapt it to a new, more modern, faster, efficient and better engine. Just adding on more tweaks to an outdated engine just makes it slower, bloated and well seem too similar to the past efforts, it's irritating. L4D2 just feels like a HL2 mod, and that's pathetic for a $50 price tag. And so do ALL other Source games including TF2.

I wouldn't mind a KF2 say in another year or so. But now? Don't think it's needed. Just adding new specimens, maps, tweaking the perks a bit can bring new life to this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope TWI does not continue to use the UE 2.5 and just let KF run it's course.
They are already making RO:HOS on UE3 so this is hardly an issue.
I assume ( with hope ) that if there were a KF2 on the Unreal 3 engine that all these problems would be GONE
and with that in mind... I'm ready for a new KF
They would be remaking the game so in the sense that this would be the best time to iron out issues with the game you would be right, but merely switching over UE3 doesn't solve those issues. The gameplay would be likely similar in a sequel but with minor tweaks to major gameplay elements like spec ai and revamps of menus, perks, and weapons.

As I have mentioned before this game thrives on user made content and changing engines would require re-working of current content. If ever a sequel was produced I would hope it would be much later so that current content isn't wasted.

Upvote 0
If ever a sequel was produced I would hope it would be much later so that current content isn't wasted.

Truth.

This is mainly what I was trying to say when I was stating that 2.5 isn't as dated as people generally assume, although you stated it much more eloquently and directly.

In my opinion, it's WAY too early to be having a discussion about KF2, considering KF isn't even a year old. Each new content pack has successfully made KF feel like a brand new game to me, and I only expect to see it get better from here on out, regardless of the engine.

Upvote 0
i hope they ride the 2.5 engine for at least another year or two, i cant really afford a new system right now, i'm running kf on a 2005 ibm laptop right now, and it works fine if i turn things down.

you gotta keep in mind that a LOT of people with crappy systems play this game.
they probably dont have the time to lurk these forums to find out that a few monkeys with adhd want to scrap this game in favor of a sequel so soon.
most of us have crappy low paying jobs and have to pay for food and mortgage payments, NOT blow all their money on a new computer needed to play a game that couldve lasted a few more years.

i wouldve played left 4 dead if i had the specs. so i play this. it works.

so just because you want prettier graphics on the expensive computer mommy and daddy bought for you doesnt mean you'll get it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't the unreal Engine 2.5 pretty much an updated unreal engine 2.0, which is an updated UE 1.0 and so on...

UE 1.0 had nothing to do with UE 2.0 and 2.5

Epic megagames made UE 1.0 and atari made UE 2.0 and 2.5

and yes 2.5 is just an updated version of 2.0. hence the ".5". If it was a whole new engine it would be called UE 3.0. sorta like how they made an entirely new engine for unreal and called it UE 3.0

go figure :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
UE 1.0 had nothing to do with UE 2.0 and 2.5

Epic megagames made UE 1.0 and atari made UE 2.0 and 2.5

and yes 2.5 is just an updated version of 2.0. hence the ".5". If it was a whole new engine it would be called UE 3.0. sorta like how they made an entirely new engine for unreal and called it UE 3.0

go figure :rolleyes:

You are wrong.

Epic Games is the maker of the Unreal Engine. Atari has nothing to do with the engine making. And to this day you can find code from UE 1 in UE 3 :) Doesn't mean it is the same engine anymore however. Alot of engines are built in this fashion. Many of today's most popular games use engines built off tech from older engines. Source is exanded off Gold Source (half life 1 tech), which is a compilation of Quake (now Id) tech 1 and 2. Call of duty engine started off as Id Tech (quake) 3.

For Unreal Engine it works like this.

Unreal Engine 1 (first engine)
Unreal Engine 2 (Significant upgrades to almost every part of the engine, thus new engine number)
Unreal Engine 2.5 (Significant upgrades to a few systems but rendering and most of the rest stay the same)
Unreal Engine 2.X (A version of UE 2.5 with a few more advanced graphical features for use with the Xbox)
Unreal Engine 3 (Significant upgrades to almost every part of the engine, thus new engine number).
Unreal Engine 3.x (so called by others, to Epic it is still just Unreal Engine 3. Significant upgrades to some systems such as lighting as well as great new tools for creation. They plan to keep upgrading it and the latest build can now almost always be found in the freely available UDK).

Known Third Party engine based off UE

Vengeance Engine - First used in Tribes Vengance (and then Swat 4 and I think a few other games), it was based of UE 2.5 code with significant upgrades to the rendering and other systems.

Vengeance Engine 2 - The hybrid of the original Vengeance Engine with UE 3 additions used in Bioshock.

Upgrades can consist of reworking code, or completely replacing it with something new (Ie: adding a new rendering system that works with dual core systems like UE 3's).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.