• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoo4

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2010
NE, USA
1. Include silencers
2. Include weapons perks similar to World at War.
3. Include knifes
4. Scope cross hairs must be hair thin for good distance shots. Please fix that, otherwise you lose the target.
5. Make controls like past COD games.
6. Have a Free for All game option.
7. Most important make the graphics as good or if not better than COD5 or Black Ops.
8. Keep a balance of between over kill realism and easy play ability.
9. Make grenades easier and quicker to throw. Too many steps.

From what I understand I hear you guys are working with clans. Because of that, I've been messaging over 300 players/clans in my Xfire to promote your game. The word is spreading!!! But it's got to be as good if not better than the current crop of games. This game has given me some a FPS hope. A balance of difficult shooting level that has smooth game play and very high quality graphics. The graphics in the main menu look horrible. I do hope you take some tips from COD5 in the graphics, music, and game play department. Best of luck and we are all watching closely.

I'm a huge bolts only player. I'm a huge fan of COD5 and thus far it's been the best COD game. I come from a long FPS gaming history, and I communicate with hundreds of people. Many of us hard core FPS gamers were disappointed with the lack of bolt only weapons in MW2 and Black Ops. Kill streaks that lead to over power vehicles just killed the game for many of us. I want a blend of COD2 and COD5. We hard core gamers want to get back to the core of shooting skill. We are tired of spawn camping and kill streaks that win games. Why fight when your chopper can win it for you?

Welcome to the forums.
I'll try be gentle with you.....;)
Its interesting that you use the term Hard Core. In RO, the ballistic characteristics of the weapons are modelled after the actual weapon. There is no HC mode with regard to weaponry. They shoot and kill the same throughout the game. In RO:HoS, any HC mode will more than likely just remove the new 'accessablitly' features that RO:Ost didn't have. Mini-maps on the HUD, etc. I'm expecting that customization of the server will be available and quite robust. Oh, and I hope you're not expecting crosshairs....;)

If TW retains their bent toward historical accuracy (weapons, tanks, location, etc) and 'realistic' anatomical player capabilities I am quite certain many of the things CoD players take for granted as "realism" or "Hard Core" won't be in RO:Hos. I certainly can't speak for TW, nor have I played RO:HoS, but I think I can say with some degree of certainty that several of the items you mention won't be in the game.

1. no silencers
  2. no weapons perks similar to WaW. Perhaps a few upgrades but nothing outside of the realm of historical availability
  3. knives...who knows? Almost certainly no insta-kill from 8feet away. There already is melee in RO:Ost (bash with rifle butt and bayonets)
  4. Scopes will have historical reticules.
  5. You can remap keys to your liking. Not an issue
  6. Who knows. If its not in and there is enough interest, someone will make a mutator I'm sure.
  7. Wouldn't expect anything else from TW
  8. Easier accessability out-of-the-box is supposed to be the hallmark of RO:HoS. If you're expecting to be able to parachute out of a 5 story building, you'll be sorely disappointed I'm afraid. If it can't be done by the common footsoldier of WWII, don't expect it to be in the game.
  9. Grenades are fine. My objection to RO:Ost was the insta-switch from weapon to weapon (ie, rifle to pistol).
Keep in mind. This is NOT CoD. We certainly don't need another one of those. That franchise lost most of us after UO.
And now I leave you to the wolves.......:cool:

Upvote 0
Well, let me try and pick up on a few points... :)

1. Silencers: very unlikely - this is "realistic" 1940s-era combat. Pretty much zero use of silencers in the front lines. One might creep in as something like a very specific add-on. But why would people want them anyway?

2. Weapons "perks": very delicate/subtle improvements going on. Definitely not "Borderlands" :)

3. Knives - well, you've got a bayo on the end of (most) rifles...

4. Scopes will indeed be historical scopes - with all their plus and minus points.

5. Yes you can re-map control keys.

6. We've never done the "free-for-all" gametype. While it can be a blast, not much call for it from the "serious"/"clan" players. Who knows - maybe one day?!

7. Well, the graphical quality will be as good as UE3 can manage. Just keep in mind that we aren't spending $50m to build the game... but if you look at the screenshots and trailer, you'll get the idea that it can look damn good!

8. Accesibility is one of the key areas we've worked on in RO2. We want the realism (ballistics, weapon performance and so on) without making the controls clunky. Really focusing on the concept that anything that a trained soldier of the period could do, should be easy to do in game. Mantling, taking cover etc shouldn't take a bizarre key-combo to execute. And information that was readily available to a soldier on the battlefield should also be available to the plaer. No articifial constraints.

9. Grenades - well, just take one out and throw it. Can't really make it much simpler :)

The graphcis you've seen in the main menu have all been placeholder so far. But we don't take (many) tips from COD-anything on how to do graphics or music. We do all that stuff - and the gameplay - the way it suits OUR game. We just happen to think (as do PC Gamer, now) that our way is better now.

And you'll need your shooting skills, don't worry - and, more importantly, those skills will count for something. No "kill-streak-power-UPPPP" nonsense. But you'll also need to work on your small-unit tac skills as well. A fire-team/squad/platoon working smart will chew up an unco-ordinated opposition every time. This is kinda why clans like the game - a wide range of skills matter. You need a suitable combo of bolt-action guys, those who want to get in-your-face as assault troops with SMGs, machine-gunners who know how to make use of their firepower - and when. Add to that squad and platoon leaders who know their job, how to make use of precious support assets and can make smart assessments of the battlefield. Engineers and the (rare) snipers. Preferably snipers who also understand the importance of their role...

But welcome to the fold! As was said earlier: RO2 is not a CoD-clone; it is its own game and has been for over 7 years. If people just want a WWII-CoD-clone, produced by someone who isn't IW/Treyarch/Activision, then they won't get it. What you WILL get is a shooter, built for the PC, heavily based in reality/realism, with a healthy dose of team tactics, all made intelligently accessible. With tanks :)

Upvote 0
Hope you can make the jump! Try the first RO out. It sure beats MW2 and BO! Even WaW!

Definately, and it's dirt cheap right now.

Just keep in mind that the first RO is old, it's graphics where outdated even when it was released (it was a small indie title, it was made on a tiny budget), and due to engine limitations, the movement can feel a little clunky and still at times.
HoS will be vastly more polished, it's on a much better engine, it's got a real budget behind it, and TWI have 3 times as many people working for them now, so yeah, HoS won't be a small budget title like the first game.

But Ro:Ost will give you a very good idea of what to expect in turns of gameplay, the heart and soul of the game, add smoother mechanics, up to date graphics and production values, and lots of cool new innovations to that core gameplay, and then you can start to imagine what HoS will be like.

Upvote 0
How has this guy not gotten flamed to death yet? Not saying we should, but saying that wow, we certainly got tolerant.

On a second note, welcome to the forums. RO is trying to be a very realistic shooter. Therefore, silencers, knives, and free-for-all are all out. Weapon perks too, save for some minor ones (I.E Being able to choose between a 71-round drum mag and a 35-round box mag for the PPSh-41, being able to choose between a 4x zoom scope and an 8x zoom scope for the Kar 98k sniper rifle, etc)

Hope you can make the jump! Try the first RO out. It sure beats MW2 and BO! Even WaW!

Welcome! :)

Do this. You'll see what direction the game's going in then, and can decide if you like it. Red Orchestra's 1000 times as realistic as "hardcore" though, just warning you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hahaha... if you think ANY of the COD games required shooting skill just wait till you're trying to properly lead and hit zig zagging infantry at 200 meters with your bolt action rifle with a tank rounding the corner to lob an HE shell at you. LOL.

This ain't no hitscan COD BS. And 99% of the people on this forum hope that as little of COD makes it into the game as possible. So sorry but this won't be a COD clone. We can only hope that it will bury the travesty that the COD series has become into the ground (first one was pretty fun I'll admit) and become the new "go to" shooter. Check out the January issue of PC Gamer. Here's a teaser: (look at the bottom left of the pic)

Hopefully the COD world, particularly its PC side, has become sick of the tired and repetitive COD formula and will be willing to endure the not that steep but challenging RO learning curve. I suggest you buy RO1 to see what it's like. Sure the graphics are dated but if you're the kind of person that values graphics over gameplay I can almost guarantee you that you won't like RO2 (even though it's looking very pretty from the screenshots!)

am7i54.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How has this guy not gotten flamed to death yet? Not saying we should, but saying that wow, we certainly got tolerant.

On a second note, welcome to the forums. RO is trying to be a very realistic shooter. Therefore, silencers, knives, and free-for-all are all out. Weapon perks too, save for some minor ones (I.E Being able to choose between a 71-round drum mag and a 35-round box mag for the PPSh-41, being able to choose between a 4x zoom scope and an 8x zoom scope for the Kar 98k sniper rifle, etc)

Do this. You'll see what direction the game's going in then, and can decide if you like it. Red Orchestra's 1000 times as realistic as "hardcore" though, just warning you.
I think the main reason the flame throwers haven't been brought out yet is due to the first reply to the OP ... very cool headed, and I'm glad he wrote it.

The first time I read the OP, I honestly thought ...
i-like-where-this-thread-is-going.jpg

Upvote 0
go play cod dude, NO SILENCERS, NO FREE FOR ALL AND NO PERKS NO NO NO NOOOOOOoOoOoO!!!

this game has already a uav so its already cod enough
Bah, it can't see dudes in buildings and the commander has to stand by the radio to get the info, and there's the delay down the command chain... hardly a UAV imo. Plus you can shoot it down which will be great fun :D.

But yes, agreed on all your other points ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.