• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has KF outsold RO?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
Well the question was raised quite several months ago and the answer was that the game was quickly catching up to RO.

I see that there are 5 times more people in the KF group than in the RO Group, while those groups only represent a fraction of the total number of people who bought the game, I'd say the numbers are pretty good for KF.

So I'll ask the question again: Has KF outsold RO?

I'm a little bit surprised if that's the case.. :D But, KF is more of a simple game then RO is. It takes you more time to learn the basics in RO rather than KF imo. And maybe that's why, maybe someone bought it one day and said to his/her friends the next day " Hey this game Killing Floor was a total blast, You should definitely buy it! "

But, RO was sold in cases as well as steam if I get it right? KF wasn't sold that much in cases as RO was I believe, that's why it came like a surprise to me :)

(Or is this only regarding copies bought from the internet?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I spent years playing the Infiltration UT mod before version 2.9 came out and became unplayable on any computer I owned.

I spent years after that looking for something that quite did the same thing, and RO seemed right up my alley.

Heck, I was originally introduced to KF because I mentioned I liked games with ironsights.

And yet I'm downright intimidated at the thought of trying to learn to play RO in any way that doesn't spell "crying noob who spends 90% of the game complaining while waiting to spawn". Too old, not enough time and energy after work, all the usual stuff.

If anything, I'm surprised that KF selling more copies would be surprising.

Upvote 0
It bears mention that RO was only the second (I believe they were after Ragdoll Kung Fu, though I could be mistaken) non-Valve game to hit Steam. Back then, Steam was still widely derided and its user-base was a mere fraction of what it is now. It doesn't surprise me at all that a zombie game released to a potential player base of nearly 10 million people hot on the heels of Left 4 Dead would outsell a WW2 game released to 1-2 million potential players who were almost exclusively Half-Life and Counter-Strike fans.

I think RO:HoS will do better. ;)

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
Its been a while, but i saw a post from Wilsonam (if i'm correct) and he did confirm that they sold more copies of KF.

I am about 95% sure that it has outsold RO, which is interesting because they didn't intend it to.

not surprising, the thing i dont understand is why they are prioritizing porting RO to UT3 before KF.

KF is a solid game, easy to get used to, only hindered by its dated engine
i know plenty of people who dont play the game JUST because the graphics "suck"

a large part of the target audience only plays games with top of the line graphics, they see games like far cry and crysis and they are like OMG GREAT GAME, IMO these games suck..they only have good graphics

porting KF to UT3 and expanding it to console would almost double the target audience, increase appeal to already existing audience, and greatly increase overall sales

i think this would make TWI the new hot game company
"Screw IW, DICE, and BLIZZARD..I play Killing Floor by TWI!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am first and foremost, an RO fan. To me, without a doubt, ROOST is the best computer game I have ever played. It really has become THE standard for which I judge all other games, at least first person shooters. To say I am looking forward to ROHOS is almost an understatement.

KF is fun, more so when I get a chance to game with my son. But it is more mindless fun and while I do like it, it just does not in anyway compare to RO. In fact, I most likely would not have bought it except for the fact that Tripwire made it... I'm generally not into these types of shooters.

Understandably, ROHOS has been in development for years and is (sorta') a sequel to their first game released. With Steam more widely used today, I can see KF actually outselling ROOST (until ROOST came out, I didn't even know what F Steam was), but on this logic alone, I can see ROHOS doing even better, way better, especially since it will seem so different than most of the other games I see being developed and released out there.

So, to me, I don't care if KF outsold ROOST or not, just glad that the company is successful and because of that they will be able to continue releasing (hopefully) the type of games that I enjoy playing, that is a bonus to me and probably others as well. And if a KF2 is made, I will probably purchase it just because it is Tripwire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
There's no point owning IP if you don't have the resource to capitalize and leverage of it. TWI should be throwing money at a KF2 as it appeals to mainstream rather than niche WW2. And if you don't have the resourse raise it through equity or selling an interest in the franchise. But to wait five+ years when the sweet spot is now would be a criminal wasted opportunity. By then it'll Zombies are so passe. So great to hear the grizzly bear hint at KF2 but for God's sake get a move on and cease the moment.

Upvote 0
Has KF outsold RO?
Not yet - but closing fast, very fast!

RO has had over 4 years as a succesful title - still in stores in Europe, will be back in store in the US shortly.

KF has had over a year as a very succesful title. But store sales aren't what they once were. No doubt that it will get there, though!

Upvote 0