• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gameplay, are you happy?

Gameplay, are you happy?

• I'm newcomer and I'm happy!

Votes: 67 15.9%
  • I'm newcomer and I'm not.

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • I'm RO:O vet and I'm happy!

Votes: 148 35.1%
  • I'm RO:O vet and I'm not!

Votes: 180 42.7%

• Total voters
Reise,

I think it really depends on the degree of the temporary grievance.
I have a low threshold for changes so I really view RO2 as a completely different game.
I'm not sure if you have ever tried Forgotten Hope 2 (BF2 mod), but more or less, RO2 reminds me of that game a lot...not really RO.

They did add some new features, but also there are features to come. Ok so that's not so bad...that is if they do come. Everything's up in the air right now. I haven't really tried the other game mode much, but I think majority of the servers do territory mode only.
I mean firefight was just awful.

I really don't know what the expectation for the community was, but there are always bound to be schasm when something this drastic happens.
Majority of the people who stuck around and played RO did so because they liked the unique RO. Honestly, my expectation was basically RO, but with improvements.

Yeh but who knows. Tripwire might some how decide to remove the leveling up and unlocking stuff and stats and such. There's always that possibility that dev team would compromise a bit to the vets who do not like the game.

Upvote 0
but generally, people won't complain unless there is something wrong, especially NOT hardcore fans of any gaming series. If people feel unhappy, they will tell us all, and that's about it. People vote with their voice.

Hardcore fans are usually the most vocal about issues.

I'm not saying people may not simply dislike the game. Maybe RO2 just isn't for you.

It really ties into my point though. A lot of people seem to be counting these game features that they dislike as actual problems with the game that need to be fixed. So it's easy for others to simply say "Hey, that bothers me too, TRIPWIRE Y U NO FIX?" when in reality there isn't actually anything "wrong" with the game, just a lot of people who aren't ready for RO2's brand of changes.

That said, these things do affect peoples' perceptions of "good gameplay." But really the game is very playable as it is now. Lots just believe it could be improved. Myself included.

And eventually it will be.

Upvote 0
Overall, not really happy, no. But it's a shame because a lot of the changes are great improvements from RO1 (mantling, the fact that you can crouch-sprint from prone directly, bullet penetration etc etc etc)

I think if three simple things were done the game would drastically improve:

1) Massively increase the # of bolts on a team (to like 60% of team---yes yes there were units that were almost all SMGs but most units were still mostly equipped with bolt actions and if you have to go with one go with the latter because the gameplay that results is better.)
2) Ditch fantasy weapons completely
3) Slightly increase time to bring up ironsights

And of course fix the host of performance issues.

Also, I look forward to larger DH type maps. (stuff like Stavelot, Fox, Cheneux etc.)

I'd actually like to see maps like Grain Elevator "expanded" to include a longer "run up" to the main event inside the elevator itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: melipone
Upvote 0
Hardcore fans are usually the most vocal about issues.

I'm not saying people may not simply dislike the game. Maybe RO2 just isn't for you.

It really ties into my point though. A lot of people seem to be counting these game features that they dislike as actual problems with the game that need to be fixed. So it's easy for others to simply say "Hey, that bothers me too, TRIPWIRE Y U NO FIX?" when in reality there isn't actually anything "wrong" with the game, just a lot of people who aren't ready for RO2's brand of changes.

That said, these things do affect peoples' perceptions of "good gameplay." But really the game is very playable as it is now. Lots just believe it could be improved. Myself included.

And eventually it will be.

I have to argue that most games are playable regardless of ridiculous the game may be. Case in point: TF2.
In principle, yes, RO2 has the same game play as RO. So in theory, the core gameplay remains the same.
I think the conflict here is the mechanism and sequence of how these objectives are obtained. Also, the added distraction of honor, exp, and unlocked weapons can make the main point very obscure.
Combat experience in RO2 for me is watered down a lot. It's either you see the enemy or you die. It's either rush or snipe (lock down doesn't help either). There is no sense of that gradual and careful push toward the objective that some times explodes into frenzy in RO.
Can this be some how addressed? I have no idea.

Upvote 0
According to the poll 65 % of newcomers are happy, but only 45 % of RO:Ost players are happy with RO2, in total 50 % are happy with the gameplay.
Makes a little sense as well, as most players who are happy with the game (as I am) will be playing it, while those who are waiting for things to be fixed, or "fixed", are hanging around the forums until they see some changes.
You mean all those things people were crying to get rid of as soon as they saw them?
Ah yes, I remember that and all the posts and threads saying "We love you TWI, release the game now, we don't care about bugs". Where'd that attitude go? Out the window, and pretty fast too. People are such fickle creatures.

Upvote 0
Countdown would be perfect if :

- No restart round after an objective taken (i mean no attacker respawning, and spawn need to be the same all along the round, i mean FAR !!!)
- Defender have to respawn after every objectives lost (spawn on the second objective to defend)
- No Timing to capture objective
- Round should be won only if ALL the objectives on the map are taken

But actually countdown is crappy , that's why nobody play on it. The actual Countdown is a 50 meters rush ... and 2 minutes map playing. Absolutely not tactical or interesting ... just crap'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No offense, but what's the point of playing a accesible Red Orchestra when there are hundreds of other games out there that does exactly all this hundreds of times better than RO2?

Hard to take anything you say seriously that is preceded by.. "there are 100s of games doing it a 100 times better".

I'd love to hear of these games please. Because i can't think of even one.

Upvote 0
I'm liking the game a lot, so far my favorite map is Spartanovka. Things I miss from the original is the information about the maps and classes in the selection screen, it proved a lot of cool history. Also I know RO2 focuses on Stalingrad and urban warfare but I really do miss the forest and trench maps as they were my favorite in RO2. I'd also like to see the auto/semi-auto weapons limited a lot more and the bolt be in circulation more.

Upvote 0
Its not what I was expecting. Part of thats probably because we were spoilt by all the mods for RO1 but even comparing vanilla to vanilla this feels a bit to COD like.

The launch has been a bit of a farce but we seem to be getting there, the thing is it seems to be that "there" is not really where I hoped it would be going.

So mines a like ish but still needs to be what was promised - not this COD RO1 mix that is good at times but awful at others..

Upvote 0
The poll is definitely too black and white. There should have been some choices between happy and not happy. I didn't vote, but if I could it would be:

RO Vet: Neither happy nor unhappy. I won't go into details as I have posted them elsewhere.

I didn't want to create a poll with dozens of options to chose. I meant it to be like that:
Gameplay doesn't need any changes so I like it
Gameplay is not that I expected / It needs some tweaks, changes so I don't like it and I'm not satisfied.

Upvote 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wkk3SiywLHI[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wkk3SiywLHI[/URL]

Red Orchestra 2 : Heroes of Stalingrad GDC '11 HD (Part 1) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zzFSBVuD-Co[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zzFSBVuD-Co[/URL]

All the missing features, like the cap bar, the loadout menu, and basically everything thats in these videos that are not in game needs to be put back in to make me and probably a lot more people happy. I just love that propaganda-like class selection!

Cap progress bar is in the game, it just looks different (It's a star or a cross now and fills vertically instead of horizontally). Loadout menu is in the game, it just looks different. As for other features you didn't mention...don't know because you didn't mention them (with times in the vid, please!)

Upvote 0
I'm a happy RO vet while there is a few gripes compared to my beloved ro1.Mainly weapon loadouts and too many automatics vs bolts.There is more than enough improvements over the original for me to be happy with the sequel. I was not expecting ro1 with better graphics as a lot of ro1 vets expected.No longer do the soldiers have the endurance of a 400 pound obese guy one of my biggest complaints of ro1.

The core gameplay remains true even tho a lot of the new maps favor faced paced action.With new maps and a few tweaks either official or modded this game has greater potential than ro1 ever had.I have adjusted to the faster ADS(aim down the sights) and have used it to my advantage(while I agree its a tad too fast).Its more about player movement and lack of momentum than fast (ADS). In ro2 you can still be rewarded by being a smart player and thinking tactically.So the smarter player can still outshine the run and gun arcade type just like in ro1.

Many of the old ro1 players are just stubborn to adjust and, if they remember correctly they had to adjust to ro1's gameplay when they first started too(I know I did).Give the game time people is inpatient expecting their vision of RO to be the majority and fixed today!.TWI out of all developers listens to its majority fan base and in time I'm confident they will make the more popular gameplay adjustments.(if not the mods will)

Patients when ro1 was first a mod it was far from polished or even realistic like tanks being destroyed by grenades for example.In time TWI used player input to turn it into the fps we know today ....give them time to do this for ro2.

I agree with a lot of what is said here. Whilst I have severe reservations about the game (namely class loadouts, the hero system and bugs) on the whole I like the game and will continue to play it.

Upvote 0