• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gameplay, are you happy?

Gameplay, are you happy?

• I'm newcomer and I'm happy!

Votes: 67 15.9%
  • I'm newcomer and I'm not.

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • I'm RO:O vet and I'm happy!

Votes: 148 35.1%
  • I'm RO:O vet and I'm not!

Votes: 180 42.7%

• Total voters
I'm a happy RO vet while there is a few gripes compared to my beloved ro1.Mainly weapon loadouts and too many automatics vs bolts.There is more than enough improvements over the original for me to be happy with the sequel. I was not expecting ro1 with better graphics as a lot of ro1 vets expected.No longer do the soldiers have the endurance of a 400 pound obese guy one of my biggest complaints of ro1.

The core gameplay remains true even tho a lot of the new maps favor faced paced action.With new maps and a few tweaks either official or modded this game has greater potential than ro1 ever had.I have adjusted to the faster ADS(aim down the sights) and have used it to my advantage(while I agree its a tad too fast).Its more about player movement and lack of momentum than fast (ADS). In ro2 you can still be rewarded by being a smart player and thinking tactically.So the smarter player can still outshine the run and gun arcade type just like in ro1.

Many of the old ro1 players are just stubborn to adjust and, if they remember correctly they had to adjust to ro1's gameplay when they first started too(I know I did).Give the game time people is inpatient expecting their vision of RO to be the majority and fixed today!.TWI out of all developers listens to its majority fan base and in time I'm confident they will make the more popular gameplay adjustments.(if not the mods will)

Patients when ro1 was first a mod it was far from polished or even realistic like tanks being destroyed by grenades for example.In time TWI used player input to turn it into the fps we know today ....give them time to do this for ro2.

Upvote 0
At the moment I'm entertained. The emphasis is on fun - It's fast paced and fun to get lots of kills and I don't mind getting killed.

But RO1 was more than fun - it was more fun to get fewer kills and even more fun to stay alive.

My concerns have been noted by others -
Bolts seriously nerfed. Autos uberred, high proportion of autos. ranking system making uber players even more uber, countdown, lack of weapon sway, noticeable lack of firefights, consistent camping by players (often with nerfed bolts) who quite rightly can't see the point in going CQC with an MKB but who lose the map because they sit in house A. And lastly 'can't prone here' - what was great about RO1 is that you did spend a lot of your time prone - RO2 not only encourages you to run and gun but has the unfortunate effect that you can't even rely on the 'go prone key'.
-Arty also annoys me. I'm sitting in the cap waiting for the attackers to winkle me out in a stealthy long drawn out firefight. But stealth, long and firefight aren't RO2.

Defenders of the game say that we shouldn't expect RO2 to be the same game play as RO1. Why not, what was wrong with RO1?

So, entertained for the moment, but not happy.

Reactions: Grobut
Upvote 0
didn't vote as there's no right option.

Not really fun or happy.

Performance issue downright stupid CPU only sound processing, stuttering, arcady shooting mechanic are really annoying to play with.

COD MW1,2 mp, crysis 2 pc mp, GRAW2 pc mp, rainbow six series know what they do best and excel in those area.

RO2 doesn't exactly play like hardcore CQC, nor as fun as good arcade shooters (i.e. cod 4, crysis 2 pc mp)

What a disappointment for me and all the other buyers who dropped ro2 by now.

Reactions: marx
Upvote 0
No. RO Veteran, not happy.
Yes i played CoD, BF3 beta, enjoyed them.
Arma, enjoyed it.

RO2 ? More like a bastard child actually. Some good realistics features with some others even more arcade than CoD. Damn !

And someone said:

here were two major lessons learned from xxxx.

1. Stick to your guns. A game with no vision is no game at all.

2. You can't please everyone, and you absolutely shouldn't try.

Upvote 0
I thoroughly enjoyed RO1. I am also enjoying RO2 a lot, the clunkyness that ran rampant in RO1 is gone and everything is much smoother now. I am doing fine with my bolt action and have little issue with the semi-automatics that everyone seems to be carrying according to the vets. In reality on a 64 player server you would only have about 10-12 people running about with it. 4 squad leaders, 2-3 elite rifleman spots, 4-5 assaults. That leaves the rest with normal bolts or weapons they picked up from someone who got killed.

If anything Tripwire could look into speeding up despawn time of fallen weapons. The semi-auto's just seem to be prevalent because a lot of the bolt players don't understand how to play and sit back and camp. Thus the people who are in your face killing you more are the semi-auto's and smg's.

Anyhow my gripe with this game comes more from annoying bugs like the squad screen resetting to top everytime someone joins a squad. Since I always play with the same people its frustrating to try and get something different than rifleman when it boots you back to top everytime. So much for everyone carrying a SMG/Semi auto.

Other gripe is the squad leader spawning, it is just completely unclear for the squad leader and the squadmembers wether they can spawn on him. Luckily my Squadleader has found a lot of spots where we are pretty much garantueed a spawn and goes there as we count down the seconds to spawn. Why the squad leader does not get an indicator of spawntime and spawnability is beyond me.

Upvote 0
I voted for Vet and unhappy.

Reasons I am not happy are:
-Amount of semi and full auto weaponry issued to both sides
-Close spawn distance, making artillery very strong as it can cut off pretty much the route to the target (or your spawn)
-Close spawn also leads to closer engagement ranges, meaning that enemies are encouraged to engage in close combat. Sometimes these ranges already start below the recommended range of bolt rifles
-Lockdown encourages the defending team to defend at all costs, because they can use up all their reinforcements if they just manage to hold out a few minutes. Reinforcement count is not important, if you can hold the line, even if that means to suicide rush in and blow up as much as you can. (so many people running out on the grain elevator)
-Tanking system is unrealistic and has several bugs, that cause tanks to be more vulnerable or less vulnerable in certain situations to certain weapons
-Artillery is very accurate and comes in very fast with a rather long duration. The accuracy is probably needed, otherwise they would indirectly hit the spawns more with the small spawn protection zones.

The current combat just feels too fast paced with all the design decisions that encourage this mode. Running and gunning with quick iron sights is no problem ingame. Suppression doesn't do much, so suppressing the defenders (or attackers) to help is not really working.

Things I do like are the new sounds and animations, which add to the battlefield atmosphere. The destructible terrain was much needed as well. Basically the visuals and audio as well as controls were improved greatly in most aspects (not looking at technical issues). The game feels fluid, sounds great and looks beautiful, but the gameplay certainly has weird decisions to force an unnatural fast pace down your throat (attack now, you only got 5 minutes!).

Upvote 0
Although the changes from RO ostfront to RO:HOS are hard to live with, I still like the game.... but I think I'm going to hold off playing for a while until its more refined and there is some good mods out.

Things I'd like to see removed
-drop the stat system. whats the point honestly? I don't get a ton of time to play and thus I don't want to 'grind' to get a gun unlock

What I'd like to see added-
-Mkb/avt40 for commander only
-Bigger maps that make use of the sight adjustment
-more combined arms maps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only played public games in RO1, but I love RO2 and find the game works really well for clan matches. Public Territory games and all forms of Firefight is useless though, too inviting to run and gun players who do not care about objectives.

Countdown is brilliant for public games, territory works really well for clan matches. The game mechanics only truly come together if you play under either of these conditions. Since most people are judging the game based on large Territory pub games, it is no wonder it is deemed too fast paced, full of MKBs and other automatics.

Upvote 0
It has some problems, but that doesn't stop me from loving every minute of it.

I played RO1 for a while and never really enjoyed it. I'm loving RO2.

Can't be stuffed writing my own post ATM so I'll just highjack yours:p, so... My thoughts exactly.

Edit:
Things I'd like to see removed
-Mkb/avt40 for commander only
-drop the stat system. whats the point honestly? I don't get a ton of time to play and thus I don't want to 'grind' to get a gun unlock.
1-Agree, provided people don't just choose that class to get that weapon, would mean they can't R&G with it either since they need to have a nearby radio.
2-Agree, provided it can be done, or atleast a bit of an overhaul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remember guys, the 10,000 people who actually enjoy the game are the ones playing it at this moment and never post on the forum (oops I mean 200 not 10,000)...

As Vyllis said, I have played and enjoyed a variety of games.

RO2 just isn't that fun.

A server with a ton of good players can make up for it, but that's pretty rare now.

I mean, if I play with good fun players, I can really enjoy a game of shoots and ladders.

Reactions: marx
Upvote 0