• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy At The Gates

I'm not sure why people have issues with movies like Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates. They're both good, entertaining movies. But let's be realistic here, they're both entertaining and both likely to capture the interest of people...typically young people into the era where they may want to look further into the genre and seek out more historically accurate and detailed movies about WW2.

But let's face it, when it comes down to it they are all movies. I know some people are movie buffs but for me regardless of how good the acting is someone always gives it away that it is a movie. Capturing the drama and the emotion is what a typical movie is trying to do, so of course those elements will also be there...it needs to appeal to a broad audience and not just capture one element...such as the war, the bullets, the men..itself.

I think SPR and Enemy at the Gates are both great movies when not taken too seriously. I for one love to hear music of the era as well as just grateful to see some recreation of WW2 weapons/vehicles.

If you want a realistic war experience then join the military, or read a book...a movie is a movie regardless of your perspective of it...like someone said, many are looking for documentaries and those have their place as well. Movies are more about capturing the emotions.

Upvote 0
Did anyone see "Der Untergang" (the Downfall) and notice that several of the actors from Stalingrad are in that, as well? Specifically, the actor who played Witzland in Stalingrad is Fegelein in Der Untergang. Their commander is in it as well, and I think I recongized several others.

I thought that movie was pretty brilliant as well.
Downfall was pretty darn good.

Upvote 0
Nobodies mentioned the best eastern front war movie and possibly the best war movie of all time Idi i smotri? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

Edit: At the time I read through the post's nobody had mentioned it. Good to see that it was mentioned.

That's basicly not even a war movie, there's like 5mins of fighting max in it. Personally I hated it, still pissed off at person who recommended it to me first place so I did buy DVD.

Instead I recommend http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326450/ Now that is a war movie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Enemy at the Gates is the Call of Duty to Saving Private Ryan's Medal of Honor, if the analogy makes any sense. Both movies are entertaining with great action and a sweeping, cinematic feel. SPR's beach landing scene is one of the best, but the rest of the movie does sort of play out like a video game.

Upvote 0
If you liked the movie you should read the original:
51xCmB9J3HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazing war memories book, depicts the same facts as in the movie but with slight differences (as he was a Marine Infantry Sergeant volunteering to Stalingrad and not a greenie abandoned in first line combat)... A MUST for all RO players, as it mentions a lot of recurrent themes in this forum as PPSH number (a lot, same Tsaitsev used it more than his bolt sniper) or PTRS AT rifle usage by snipers...

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why people have issues with movies like Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates. They're both good, entertaining movies. But let's be realistic here, they're both entertaining and both likely to capture the interest of people...typically young people into the era where they may want to look further into the genre and seek out more historically accurate and detailed movies about WW2.

But let's face it, when it comes down to it they are all movies. I know some people are movie buffs but for me regardless of how good the acting is someone always gives it away that it is a movie. Capturing the drama and the emotion is what a typical movie is trying to do, so of course those elements will also be there...it needs to appeal to a broad audience and not just capture one element...such as the war, the bullets, the men..itself.

I think SPR and Enemy at the Gates are both great movies when not taken too seriously. I for one love to hear music of the era as well as just grateful to see some recreation of WW2 weapons/vehicles.

If you want a realistic war experience then join the military, or read a book...a movie is a movie regardless of your perspective of it...like someone said, many are looking for documentaries and those have their place as well. Movies are more about capturing the emotions.

Saving Private Ryan is only good if "not taken too seriously"? Are you serious? It's the best movie of 1998.

You gonna tell me Schindler's List is a good one-time watch next? Or that There Will Be Blood worth renting if you're bored one Saturday?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Saving Private Ryan is only good if "not taken too seriously"? Are you serious? It's the best movie of 1998.

You gonna tell me Schindler's List is a good one-time watch next? Or that There Will Be Blood worth renting if you're bored one Saturday?

From a "realism/historical" standpoint- he's completely right. It's a good movie but if you look at it too hard (ie take it too seriously) from a history nut perspective it's pretty ridiculous. Sort of like RO2.

Upvote 0

I agree. I love war movies. I've seen most that have been posted here and a few that I haven't that I will definitely check out.

I dunno about you guys but I watch "movies" to be entertained, not to nitpick about history. That's what documentaries/books/classes are for. Unfortunately I don't spend a whole lot of free-time with my nose buried in a history book. And I have been out of school for many years. So for me its based purely on an entertainment factor. Do you guys play video games for the historical accuracy? Or to be entertained? Same thing.

All in all, this thread was about me getting pumped to play RO2. So that's what I'm gonna do right meow. :p

Upvote 0
Did anyone see "Der Untergang" (the Downfall) and notice that several of the actors from Stalingrad are in that, as well? Specifically, the actor who played Witzland in Stalingrad is Fegelein in Der Untergang. Their commander is in it as well, and I think I recongized several others.

I thought that movie was pretty brilliant as well.

Yes I noticed that, I mean, they're can only be so many good German actors lol. And those were two great movies

Upvote 0
Come on man I want a straight answer because I want to know if its WORTH watching.. Don't want to waste time and money getting it then watching it and having it suck.. I'd just like to know if anyone has seen it and liked it.. I loved band of brothers so I'm assuming it might be just as good if not better?

I didn't find it as good as Band of Brothers. The story was far less coherent. The action scenes were all right but, overall it just didn't flow very well.

Upvote 0
If they used any movie as a refrence, I would assume it'd be "Stalingrad" I swear I hear some of the music from the movie at some times.

There also is no doubt in my mind that Russian saying in the game "they must be ****ting their pants" is a subtle nod to Enemy at the Gates. It sounds exactly like the Kruschev character when he says "I want our boys to stop ****ting their pants". Lol.

Upvote 0