• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy At The Gates

Norazi-J

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2011
Anyone watch this movie and just get pumped to play RO2?

After watching I joined a game on the RedOctober map and it dwindled down to just me and another player going 1v1 with sniper rifles. I got chills while playing. It was as if I was Zaitsev trying to outsmart the Major :D

Also...anyone else feel like TWI used some of it as reference? I imagine them all sitting in the conference room having a movie night and jotting down ideas :p

Anyone watch this movie and just get pumped to play RO2?

After watching I joined a game on the RedOctober map and it dwindled down to just me and another player going 1v1 with sniper rifles. I got chills while playing. It was as if I was Zaitsev trying to outsmart the Major :D

Also...anyone else feel like TWI used some of it as reference? I imagine them all sitting in the conference room having a movie night and jotting down ideas :p

Lay down in front of one of these: :IS2:

Upvote 0
While I liked the movie, it was too british-hollywood, if there is such a thing.

It was somewhat accurate towards the atmosphere of the war, but the factual details of what happened in the true story were tossed out the window.

The thing that really bugged the heck out of me with that movie was that sure, I understand not having it in full Russian and German with subtitles, thus having everyone speaking in English (for better understanding of what's going on)......

...... But you could have at least tried to get some sort of russian or german english accents so that I could somewhat believe they were germans and russians.

Instead we ended up with Russians that sounded like British and Germans that sounded like Americans.

They didn't even try.

Of course since I moved to Australia I no longer have that movie and I haven't seen it in a while.... I kinda want to watch it again, lol.

But this isn't the first time RO was related to Enemy at the Gates.... it's been a relation people have made since the mod days.

I'd hate to Wiki but:

"Historical accuracy:

Some Soviet Stalingrad veterans were sufficiently offended by the portrayal of the Red Army, that on 7 May 2001, soon after it was shown in Russia, they addressed their grievances to the State Duma, demanding the film be banned. This request was not granted.

Historian Antony Beevor suggests in his book, Stalingrad, that, while Zaitsev was a real person, the story of his duel (dramatized in the film) with K

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i thought it was a fun movie to watch.

nothing serious, just a good war film. i dont understand some of the hate it gets, maybe because of its historical innacuracy. probably if they changed the names, it would have been better recieved.

It had good pacing and all the story elements of a great movie (well rounded protagonist, a clear antagonist, a conflict, etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: 39th Guards
Upvote 0
i thought it was a fun movie to watch.

nothing serious, just a good war film. i dont understand some of the hate it gets, maybe because of its historical innacuracy. probably if they changed the names, it would have been better recieved.

It had good pacing and all the story elements of a great movie (well rounded protagonist, a clear antagonist, a conflict, etc)
If by "change the names" you mean change that it isn't set during ww2 and not in Stalingrad then yea, it could work.:p:IS2:

Upvote 0
Aww cmon guys. I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about if the movie was good or not.

Sorry for not being a huge history buff... I just thought I was watching an entertaining war movie that closely resembled that of a game I am currently playing. I don't spend hours scouring the internet for facts on russians, stalingrad, and nazi germany. My bad.

I had a unique moment in the game...one that closely mimicked what I saw in the movie. I thought I'd share. That's all.

Reactions: Defekt
Upvote 0
Aww cmon guys. I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about if the movie was good or not.

Sorry for not being a huge history buff... I just thought I was watching an entertaining war movie that closely resembled that of a game I am currently playing. I don't spend hours scouring the internet for facts on russians, stalingrad, and nazi germany. My bad.

I had a unique moment in the game...one that closely mimicked what I saw in the movie. I thought I'd share. That's all.

Nothing wrong with that. But I have to mention that I learned the most about history in school and by reading books at home. No Internet involved.

Upvote 0
there are other nice movies too:

for example: <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/" target="_blank">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/

VERY GOOD movie. Its a little dated but its one of my favorites!

Also another EXCELLENT movie about the eastern front. Its not about stalingrad but about the Brest fortress being attacked at the start of operation barbarossa. Its called "Brest Fortress" Its a Russian Film In Russian with english subtitles. I highly suggest anybody that watches this trailer to find a copy on amazon and watch it.

Official Movie Trailer Brest Fortress - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Defekt
Upvote 0
The movie is a joke. More fictional than Inglourious Basterds, but without the good story, dialogue or acting.

No wonder the Russians were so offended, seeing their ancestors portrayed as mindless cattle herded towards battle, only for fear of a commisars ppsh. Yes, blocking battalions existed, but the Russians were brave and ferocious fighters and deserved more respect than this movie gives them.

Reactions: Centimeter
Upvote 0
while i was waiting for the release - Cross of Iron ;)
[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/[/URL]

MV5BMTU2MzI4OTI0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODExMzIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Upvote 0