• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Disappointed by special treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again,

When someone says new, free content is not free, they are incorrect. They probably bought SEA version 1.0, if they have Manor, they now have KF2 SEA V1.1 for no additional money. They should soon have V1.2 without spending anything.

This policy is the just the same as KF1 - buy the game at whatever state it is in on that day and get free updates afterwards, as we make them. How did anyone ever survive from the Xmas update all the way until Summer Sideshow?

You see, I was right: Tripwire really don't get it. We purchased Early Access title, game with limited content. We paid in advance for a game, as devs promised, with more maps and 10 perks, each of them having 6 unique weapons (T1..T4 + knife + nade). This time Tripwire is not doing it for free: it delivers [very slowly *cough*cough*] the content we've already paid for. Spending $30 for a game with 3 maps and "3.5" perks is even more ridiculous than buying Evolve.

KF1 is a different story. Players have bought it "as it is" in any period of time. Everything that came afterwards was a bonus: really free content.

P.S. I don't mind if you're using "free" just for marketing purposes. But please don't act that you're doing us a favor. Even after I'n'D content release you'll owe us 4 more perks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUnbeholden
Upvote 0
Came to see the ****storm after yesterdays' news

was not dissapointed

thumbs-up-gif.gif

MHO:

Everything looks awesome. Chivlari is an awesome game I would like to see even more crossovers with it. Also I am making a huge party at my villa this weekend and we have 6 laptops with KF2 and will have the usual gaming room set up :D Long live LAN multiplayer :D :IS2:

Upvote 0
Spending $30 for a game with 3 maps and "3.5" perks is even more ridiculous than buying Evolve.

Kind of unfair to compare the two, I mean look at this:

http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/273350/

Just because TW is banding about the word "free" doesn't really take much from the game. It can appear a tad misleading for those not "in the know" - They're just trying to get the point across that "you've paid for the game, this update isn't going to cost you anything" - however, I totally get where people are coming from, what with the game still being in Early Access. It's easy to see where some might get irritated and/or confused.

Upvote 0
It was hard let me tell you, I actually had to go outside and interact with other humans without slashing them with knives and yelling for healing. It was horrible! I think I might have learned a usable real world skill!

Please don't take me back to those dark days NonCom, please.

(I still can't believe I'm one of few people just fine with dev times. I guess I just enjoy having something to look forward to.)

Holy hell, i think i laughed at this way harder than i should have, nice one.

Upvote 0
That's my issue with this. Why are the press testing an in-development build of the game while the paying customers are not? Are we not supposed to be testing the game? Why are the press telling us, the consumers how fun the next build is and what they think of features that we didn't even know existed?

Apparently I didn't know what I "signed up for when I bought a damn EA game". My assumption was that I would be getting early builds of the game to test and give feedback on and not have them polished to a mirror sheen by Tripwire and the press while I sit twiddling my thumbs.

What I didn't expect was bare minimum communication on the development process and a four month content stagnation to boot. That said I was fully prepared for the fanboys on the forums who are terrified of criticism to defend TWI at every turn spouting the same old rhetoric and buzzwords like "entitled" because they can't have a mature and logical discussion on things that don't make them feel comfortable.

I like Tripwire and the products they give us but I really think they should ditch that "early access done right" slogan. The PR for it has really left something to be desired.

No it's not. You bought an EARLY ACCESS to the game and you have it. You are not entiteled to anything. The game will be ready when it is ready.

I'm fine with only one update when the game is finished.

Upvote 0
Cant see why anyone is against TW making a public statement for an upcoming major update.... esp. given that its in EA.

Why wouldnt anyone want the company to get more publicity for their game? Would those same ppl want differently if it were their 'baby'....?

So in order to do that they have to make available a "beta" branch which isnt perfect enough for us mere mortals...

....whatever next....? Complaining about the color of Yoshiro's underpants while hes writing the WWAUTs!?!!! :eek:

Upvote 0
No it's not. You bought an EARLY ACCESS to the game and you have it. You are not entiteled to anything. The game will be ready when it is ready.

This is so obvious it makes me feel physical pain to call out the troll.

@OP I see your point.

I didn't know Tripwire handles early access this way before either.
I also don't understand why they chose to go through this with as little active community interaction as possible. That doesn't mean they can't have valid reasons though. Perhaps it's related to the fact that they have a lot more people working on this project than your average early access studio... who knows?

The thing is, it's already too late now. They set this path way before the initial release, they took an appropiate engine and hired the best they could find to work with it. It would be silly change their development method now. So I wouldn't bet that we're going to see more frequent and less polished updates or balancing and bug fixes untied from content patches.

It's just such a pity that they see no wiggle room between a transparent development process and final deadlines / unbreakable commitments. There are so many around these forums who would be happy to spend countless nights just to make sure the balance in KF2 is as good as it can be. However, beyond asking for generally better balance or features there is nothing TWI is willing to trust us with. :(

Just think about the upside: The game will be finished some day either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ultimately, the message that Twipwire is sending to those who bought the game is that since we can't guarantee them new sales, we are not deserving of new content as soon as others are. And that is why I am disappointed.

Eh, what? You know know journalist are basically advertisers, right?

This is like complaining about a car company letting a film crew be the very first to drive a new Corvette, to make a commercial for it.

Most gaming "journalism" is advertising, particularly so in previews.

For all you know, the writer may not have even played it, was just given the talking points are structured it into his own sentences.

Upvote 0

Yes, we are entitled to getting the finished product, within specs that were marketed at the EA launch.

Sure, there is no set time-frame in which devs are bound to deliver the content, and everyone should keep that in mind, and be patient.

It doesn't mean however, that devs doesn't have any obligation towards the clients at all.

Upvote 0
Came to see the ****storm after yesterdays' news

was not dissapointed

thumbs-up-gif.gif

MHO:

Everything looks awesome. Chivlari is an awesome game I would like to see even more crossovers with it. Also I am making a huge party at my villa this weekend and we have 6 laptops with KF2 and will have the usual gaming room set up :D Long live LAN multiplayer :D :IS2:

lol

yeah, its interesting how news of a large impending content addition, is some how turned into a complaint. how demented.

Upvote 0
Exactly. You could whine, piss and moan about every game that a journalist website has a preview copy of. KF2 is no different. Even though the game is still in EA, it still requires coverage to gain exposure and garner fresh meat. That's the way it's been since the age of entertainment. It's not "special treatment", it's called marketing. Live with it.

I too am itching for new content as much as the next guy, but guess what? I'm patient enough not to post threads like these on a forum. I have other games to play and other activities to occupy my time with.

Personally I don't see it as whining. He actually said something that (I'm sure a lot of people were thinking) and just haven't said anything. I'm glad he brought this up. The press getting earlier access to new content has somewhat bothered me too, but I also understand how marketing works.
Cut him some slack. He's just excited as we all are. I've seen others post much dinner things in these forums.

Upvote 0
What is sad is i expected this to actually be "EA done right", but it's not really.... the problem is what they're doing could be said to be right, from a certain point of view though.

They can always argue that they're eventually releasing content, that there is neve any game-breaking bug, that the game is already pretty playable in current state. And well, that is true, and what we have of the game is good.
And the fully released game will probably very good, i still have high trust in TW for that.

But it's just not EA done right. It's pretty much what Nintendo did recently with Splatoon (and will do again with Mario Maker i think, those lazy)
They released a fully playable game, with nearly no (AFAIK) bugs, but with only part of the intended content, releasing the rest later as free updates.
And that's pretty damn similar with KF2, only here we'll probably see more increase in content, and some mechanics change.

And if the communication from TW is "You paid for what you got when EA was released, everything on top of that is free"... then i don't know. It kinda makes me shudder and worried about how companies handle their communication and treat their customers.
I know it might seem minor, but it implies quite a lot. Like how they could just say "You got what you bought, now we'll stop development". I know they're not going to.... but they completely could.
Also implies we should be thankful to them i guess?

Maybe i'm just seeing too far and i'm stupid? Then again if they were "honest" about their intentions and how they handle development from the start, there would never have been as much worries from the community (and i would have waited for full release to buy it)

Upvote 0
You are being an indignant child. Stop being an indignant child. Furthermore, you know nothing about software development or how PROPER QA works. Your post assumes so much and show that you are completely ignorant about business practices or how a product is developed. This post is a fine example of why our society has declined to the point that it has.

PRESS GETS IT BEFORE I DO, TO PREVIEW. HOW UNFAIR! IT MUST BE COMPLETELY DONE! Ever hear of marketing?

Destructoid has a recent article on their website. You can view it here. http://www.destructoid.com/killing-...-detonate-update-feels-damn-good-307087.phtml

It's a nice piece that previews some very exciting updates to Killing Floor 2. It made me eager for the update, and glad that I have the game. Yet after reading the article, i realized something. I cant play the update.

Mr. Furniss of Destructoid says that while their is no release date, "it shouldn't be far from now." "It's now in the QA stages, so as soon as final balancing touches are in place, it should be in your hands."

But its not in my hands. Its not in anyone's hands who paid for it. It is only in the hands of "journalists" who have special privileges. Now i'm not naive enough to not understand why. By letting destructoid preview this game, Tripwire will get more sales, and more money. This is the ultimate and logical goal of any company.

Indeed, Mr. Furniss shares that opinion. A comment on the article says that his previewing of the game in Early access is "****ed up". Furniss' reply:

"Because it's close, and they're sticking to their guns about making sure it's super solid before people play it. The build I was running needed a bunch of tweaks.

Plus, they want to drum up interest. If they just updated quietly, the people who already play would be happy, but they want to attract new players as well."

Twipwire has said that they want the early access to feel smooth and polished. Their updates go through rigorous QA i'm sure. But its not so buggy that they cant allow a journalist to have special access to content before anyone else does, even if they already bought the game.

There is no reason that this current build could not be offered to the consumer if it was fit to be offered to the press. By all means, do both. Give content to the players, and entice new players to purchase the game by giving it to the press. There would be bugs to fix, but these would already be known by the QA team, and they would not have to necessarily listen address any bugs the players find.

Ultimately, the message that Twipwire is sending to those who bought the game is that since we can't guarantee them new sales, we are not deserving of new content as soon as others are. And that is why I am disappointed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again,

When someone says new, free content is not free, they are incorrect. They probably bought SEA version 1.0, if they have Manor, they now have KF2 SEA V1.1 for no additional money. They should soon have V1.2 without spending anything.

This policy is the just the same as KF1 - buy the game at whatever state it is in on that day and get free updates afterwards, as we make them. How did anyone ever survive from the Xmas update all the way until Summer Sideshow?

Don't think that's actually the case, as when I purchased the EA of KF2, the planned content included more perks / weapons / etc for the "final release". That's not free, as you took my money with the understanding that I was going to help test the product under development and TWI would continue to update the software I purchased with the planned content you promised.

You know, kind of like I paid for my house to be built with the understanding that the "final" version would include everything that was outlined on the build sheet when I forked over my money, IE walls, roof, floors, windows, bathrooms, etc...

If the contractor called me up and said "Good news! We're going to go ahead and include some plumbing and a couple walls in a FREE content pack this week on the house you paid for a couple months ago, once the foundation is checked for cracks!" ... at this point I would take a breath and either say "Are you high or drunk?" or just "You're fired."

Playing word game semantics is a losing game. Please don't do it. There will be no "free" content until after you release a gold, final version of KF2. I will be thankful for it, and I plan on buying all the DLC site unseen, because I believe in you guys and want to support you.

What I don't want is see TWI pull an EA or UbiSoft. I don't buy their products, regardless of how much I might be interested in their games. Be cool, TWI, don't be sleazy.

kthxbai

Upvote 0
Sooo... You guys would rather it be a paid content pack, or... What, exactly?

In a week or two when this update gets released all of this will seem silly. When the full game is released, even more so. If you're all so excited about this coming update, why not vent it by playing the actual game instead of posting here? Would probably be more productive :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.