• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Disappointed by special treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of attracting more people, if only a few thousands will be able to play in Beta? Start the Beta for those who are still staying tuned and then do PR for others.

Its not just for that is it. Part of it is to reinforce the brand and attract new potential buyers. The other is to reach out to the existing customer base with the new content. Afterall not everyone is reading and breathing KF2 24/7.

And yeah sure Id love to see the updated just rolled out but... someone at TW hasnt made that call. Maybe theres a little trepidation. Maybe they just want to be sure it doesnt ****up to badly. Or maybe theres too much in this update to just rollout to the masses like say an event update would have been done for KF. I have a feeling that it will likely happen again until all major features are in and they are just adding maps, skins, weapons and maybe perks. I.e. when the backend stuff is done. Mayb then theyll just release to us peons.

That said I could be talkin utter bollocks. :p

Upvote 0
It is much easier to praise highest authority (which Tripwire represents here on forums) than make a stand. Both praising and whining do not require thinking: whatever you leader does former will always agree with him while the latter will always complain. And there are some who managed to combine: they praise by whining.

Actually it's easier to flow with the majority, since there would be more people agreeing with the side you chose, thus reassuring everyone on that side. The side itself doesn't matter, even if one side has the highest authority.

Upvote 0
Because marketing! Marketing is important. I hate publishers these days and the grip they can have on a great game (It's not finished but we have board members to impress so it needs to be out next week, can whatever's not finished etc.), however marketing is necessary entirely if you want a product to be a financial success.

Without it, sure we could have been the "reviewers" and had it in our hands by now, and that would have been fantastic.

In the short term.

For this game to continually make sales and bring in the money, therefore not having to be abandoned later on, TWI can't let the general gaming public forget that it exists. Expect more of this in the next update too.

It also generates hype, which can be a volatile word these days but remember it's simply the state of being excited for something. They are drumming up excitement and anticipation for what's coming and keeping the wider gaming population informed/making sure they don't forget KF2 exists. These things combined with marketing are crucial in this day and age for keeping something like a video game alive I'd say.

Also, just curious, why should it go to us and not the journalists/another KF community out there?
They'll have trouble selling a game if word of mouth is bad. Many people check the forums before they buy a game and this is what they're seeing:
- lack of updates
- declining playerbase
- very few people recommend it (even a TWI defender can't recommend the game) (fwiw: I have recommended the game but only if someone enjoys being challenged and is not looking for content)
- upset players

They need to market the game, sure, but if they really want sales then they should start appeasing the people who bought the game so that those users can recommend the game.

Upvote 0
Because marketing! Marketing is important. I hate publishers these days and the grip they can have on a great game (It's not finished but we have board members to impress so it needs to be out next week, can whatever's not finished etc.), however marketing is necessary entirely if you want a product to be a financial success.

Also, just curious, why should it go to us and not the journalists/another KF community out there?

Have you watched that youtube video? If marketing was so important to TWI I would request those "reviewers" remove it. Look at the facts of this new video that is supposed to market KF2 for TWI, and keep in mind this is the ONLY youtube video review of the new update right now:

1) Poor visual quality, 720p highest resolution, no 60fps, most compressed encoding I've ever seen trying to fullscreen, no FLEX. (I'll give a pass on the audio adjustment since i believe this was being livestreamed on twitch initially)

2) Inexperienced KF players, they flat out lie about being "tremendous fans" of KF1 and putting "many hours" into the game. Someone in the youtube comments points out they have about sub 100 hours each in KF1, and like sub 20 hours in KF2. Their playstyle is awful and doing dumb things like demo pistoling a scrake, not healing, etc... made the game look extremely boring and derpy. Why not gather a bunch of zeds and try the m79 or rpg on a large group? How do you wipe twice on normal and not even show off the potential new boss?

3) Flat out incorrect and tangential commentary, calling a siren a witch, saying you run faster with a knife, saying it's a HL mod, bringing up MGS5 during the video. Even most of the normal banter is awkward and cringe worthy at time.

4) Extremely poor display of the new update features, didn't try the microwave gun, don't think the demo ever actually fired the rpg out of safety range, no c4, no dual pistols, etc... Didn't even get to see info on the firebug. How are people supposed to be hyped and understand the new update when it's not even put on display properly?

5) Only 2 players in a 6 player game, you know part of what made those initial PC gamer videos awesome? They had a full game and you could see all the chaos and fun of a 6 player game. I understand they were only picking the two new classes, but they seriously couldn't do 4-5 players with like at least 2 of each class, or have a medic so they actually survive a full game? Have 1 demo use m79 and c4 and another the pistol and rpg. Have 1 firebug use flamethrower and the dragons breath shotgun and the other use microwave gun to show off everything. You have thousands of kf2 fans who would join in and not even talk if they didn't want them too. This video is a snoozefest of low zed count games using a perks which were made for clearing heavy amounts of trash and look sweet doing it with exploding bodies and hordes on fire.

6) Review done "early this week", same time we were promised the beta, this is a big reason why people are so up in arms. Why are these random awful unprofessional youtubers being given exclusive beta testing when the patch is already seemingly ready to go? It's Tuesday afternoon and still no word. We get it, there will be bugs, crashes, imbalances, limited servers, etc.. that's what we expect from an opt-in beta client. If you want marketing then have professionals review the final patch right before it's ready, and let the rest of us try the opt in beta to help bug test until then. That is LITERALLY what we signed up for when we paid for early access.

TL;DR:
The single video of the update is awful quality with bad/incorrect commentary from inexperienced KF players that aren't even well known personalities that do a poor job of showcasing the patch updated and was released during the time range when the opt in beta should already be available. This "marketing" is most likely causing more harm than good.

Please change your marketing strategy going forward.

Upvote 0
But you're assuming TWI masterminded this video or something, or that it is infact an attempt at marketing by TWI like the articles.

That's Co-optimus, likely a video done by themselves for their own fanbase, my guess is to show that it's fun to co-op because that's what their group focuses on. Their fanbase like co-op over many things so the video may have served an intended purpose.

Nothing to get upset about anyway, nobody said the beta was definitely coming today. Would be a nice surprise but there is no solid ETA. It's close though, check news and announcements.

Upvote 0
They'll have trouble selling a game if word of mouth is bad. Many people check the forums before they buy a game and this is what they're seeing:
- lack of updates
- declining playerbase
- very few people recommend it (even a TWI defender can't recommend the game) (fwiw: I have recommended the game but only if someone enjoys being challenged and is not looking for content)
- upset players

They need to market the game, sure, but if they really want sales then they should start appeasing the people who bought the game so that those users can recommend the game.

That is true but its not set in stone is it. Nor is it actually bad word of mouth of the actual game. Just ppls own perception of their expectations or expectations of the herd. Not that is a bad thing but... its not something that will remain as is forever. Eventually TW will complete development and the current incessant moaning about lack of updates etc will be consigned to the middle portions of these forum pages.

Id tell you that TW are on top of this but Im sure you already know this. Its just a question of when they decide to draw a line under feature development and then focus on content. And that depends on that list Yoshiro keeps talking about and how many days, weeks and months left to deadline day.

Judging by the changelog I suspect that its likely they will keep adding major features (like alt. bosses) for many months to come... so maybe we should expect another update in Sept!?!! Anything earlier will be a bonus. (Theres a realisitc expectation for ya! ;)

Upvote 0
But you're assuming TWI masterminded this video or something, or that it is infact an attempt at marketing by TWI like the articles.

That's Co-optimus, likely a video done by themselves for their own fanbase, my guess is to show that it's fun to co-op because that's what their group focuses on. Their fanbase like co-op over many things so the video may have served an intended purpose.

Nothing to get upset about anyway, nobody said the beta was definitely coming today. Would be a nice surprise but there is no solid ETA. It's close though, check news and announcements.

Ok so you're proposing they magically hacked the TWI servers to download the patch and stream it and upload to youtube, and it magically didn't get taken down through DMCA once TWI caught wind of it?

TWI obviously gave them exclusive beta access though some sort of official contact and allowed them to show off and a full video of the new content, something destructoid didn't even do. It was their attempt at marketing the update before it hit and it's doing a horrible job.

Whether the co-optimus guys meant to target it specifically at their fanbase or not is irrelevant once they upload it to youtube for EVERYONE to search and find, instead of just streaming to twitch for their subscribers. It's an overall awful video and does a poor job reflecting how much fun and how graphically pleasing KF2 is, and right now it's the only full video of the update out there.

I want TWI to understand that I'm not throwing a hissy fit about waiting to play the beta asap like some others might be. I am concerned for the overall health of the game now and in the future. If people on the fence about buying the game for the new update see this video it's not going to leave a good impression.

It could be that TWI weren't aware of the subpar production of this co-optimus group (I'm sure there was some exaggeration about their love and experience of KF to TWI, just like in the video, to help secure the beta). However, they could still request they take the video down, or make sure multiple people are hyping through videos to mitigate poor quality scammers. That's why I request they change their marketing strategy going forward.

Upvote 0
I would suggest some caution in your expectations. TW are not responsible for ppls expectation. Rather an initial delivery of the game which is what you pay for exclusively. Further rollouts are made at their discretion. If youre not happy with this arrangement (in general terms) you should look to avoid buying any game in EA. Its a simple as that.

Worst case scenario you buy what is available at release with the promise of more to come. That promise isnt legally binding unfortunately. I have a game that had maybe 1 or 2 updates after EA started. Then the team split up and its been on hold for a year or so.

No I get it, I should know caution when it comes to EA. But you want to root for your team. I rooted for Uber with Planetary Annihilation hardcore. They were the same team that made Total Annihilation back in 1997 and I spent many of my teenage years being a writer for a Total Annihilation news/review site. I WANTED IT TO BE SO BADLY, but we got the horrid result we did.

Then Overkill with Payday 2, ugh; Another stream of broken promises. I do like the style of game but if there was anyone else making a game similar, I'd jump ship immediately. I only take Overkill Software things if I get them for free now.

I don't WANT Tripwire to be the last straw, I want them to restore my faith in pre-ordering. I've caught some of them occasionally in the steam chat rooms and they're all great guys. But I'm thoroughly disagreeing with their actions and language at this juncture and I want them to know that, so I'm posting it here.

Language is the major disagreement actually. It seems like their trying to weasel their way out of something/setting themselves up to weasel out. They shouldn't, they should be confident in their product. It could be one of the best games of 2015/2016.

As for the youtube video, I get it, they gave previews to anyone that had a built in audience to build hype. They probably didn't vet the reviewers at all, and now they have a comment section full of insanity. That's bad on the reviewers for outputting such a piece of trash and not on TWI. On the flip side, if the preview is good enough for a video review and to advertise your game with, it's good enough for us.

*snip* (it's right above this post).

ABSOLUTELY AGREE. It leaves a horrid impression. You want press? Release the update and have a video montage contest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.