• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character shouting in game, please let us have the option to make our character mute?

Another way to do it would be that your avatar would never call out if you were crouched so you can still move places but quietly maybe could apply to being prone as well..

That's not good enough though plenty of times I was sprinting behind a line of enemies to line up with em.

Or say if I was running up to a tank with a satchel charge... I wouldn't want to shout out "I'm so tired!" nearing it and then have half the enemy team looking at me :eek:.

Upvote 0
WW2 wasn't really stealthy.

It would depend on the circumstance. To me this feature can either boost immersion when it works, or detract from it and pull you out of the game when it is inappropriate.

Having a team mate nearby would not mean you would stop being stealthy if the situation demanded it.

If I could choose I would make it so if you are walking or crouched, you don't shout anything out except when hit. Or something similar, aiming down the sight etc

Upvote 0
What history books you've been reading?

I minored in history and the only books I buy are ww2.

Plenty of "stealth" in the war.

not during stalingrad main battle i guess... this is Wermacht agains Red Army with kids and peasant, time to stop acting like rambo or super-cool-stealth-sniper-cod6-1994-kid-xxxx cause in this game wont pay against 32 soldiers

Reactions: JohnnyRaygun
Upvote 0
The game is great as it is, everyone who actually played it (and most are hardcore RO veterans) say so.

You guys should stop worrying or worse, trying to get great features removed from the game.

Well I'm a hardcore RO veteran, so my opinion must count as well?

And this isn't really about how great the game is; I'm sure it'll be great. But that has almost nothing to do with how random chatter could give you away (i saw a couple instances in recent videos of it doing just that)

I wouldn't call your avatar moaning in the most stereotypical german voice that he is fatigued, a "great" feature.

Upvote 0
not during stalingrad main battle i guess... this is Wermacht agains Red Army with kids and peasant, time to stop acting like rambo or super-cool-stealth-sniper-cod6-1994-kid-xxxx cause in this game wont pay against 32 soldiers

Lol, again, what history books you been reading?

I would imagine the odds that you've watched enemy at the gates recently, being fairly high (kids and peasants)

Tons of stealth in stalingrad, probably moreso there than anywhere else.

and I don't consider flanking to be "rambo"

In fact, in RO I never see anyone have the ability or opportunity to "rambo". The worst it gets is someone mowing down a room full of enemy on his way to getting in the capzone.

Upvote 0
Lol, again, what history books you been reading?

I would imagine the odds that you've watched enemy at the gates recently, being fairly high (kids and peasants)

you're wrong, imho is one of the worst war movie ever ;)

and I don't consider flanking to be "rambo"

I can flank the enemy shouting, wont change enemy's state of mind, and, against plenty of soldiers in the field that i dont even know the languange, plus artilley and gunfires, wont be so hard being STEALTHY :B

" OMG NOES, SOMEONE IS RELOADING ON MY RIGHT, LET'S ALL COUNTER HIM " <--- this wont change your status of flanked cause you ve been taken by surprise anyway, you ll be out of cover anyway and you will figure out too late anyway

In fact, in RO I never see anyone have the ability or opportunity to "rambo". The worst it gets is someone mowing down a room full of enemy on his way to getting in the capzone.

I'm a RO1 grizzled veteran and a typically STEALTHY GUY. I was main sniper in 99% of competitive games in RO1 and in Bosovka, for example, weither in CW or during RO's World Tournament I was commanded to sneak behind enemy lines proned, hidden in the field for spotting mainly and take down commanders so i know what you guys are talking about, but, still, i' m the last to complain the random ( random ? seriously ? ) shouting. Why ? Cause i wont bandage my head before breaking it because it's pointless and typical from that part of internet called " HATERS GONNA HATE ". No one of us played in a 64 map, no one of us saw that features ruining any of our games and no one of beta tester complained about it, so, we are, here, talking about " fried air ", as we say in italy, complaining and stomping our baby's legs praying Tripware to remove that feature cause IPOTETICALLY solo-gamebreaking in a teambased game... GG

If I suppress a guy, weither i' m shouting or not, wont change his status of suppressed, if i' m reloading i was firing before, so, they, heard me anyway.

As I said before, a large ammount of CW and Tournaments were played in Battlefield Bad Company and no-one, i repeat, no one complained about soldiers shouiting like virgins during that period of the month

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I'm a hardcore RO veteran, so my opinion must count as well?

Never said your opinion doesn't count, all I'm saying is you didn't actually play the game. (Or did you?)
So far no RO veteran who did play the game said anything about this feature being a bad thing.

I'm sorry but I really think opinion from people who did not play yet should not be taken into account if it means removing anything from the game.

Just wait until the game is out, I'm fairly sure TWI will fix anything that turns out being a problem.

Upvote 0
I say all the chatter is fine in relaxed. Some people might have a problem with being able to hear wounded men crying out as they try to escape down a hallway, but that's just immersion and realism to me. I'd have no problem being tracked down because someone heard me in that case.

Thing is, Ostfront by contrast is too quiet. You can't even hear guys walking up behind you. So for realism mode I'd still like to hear battle chatter, just as long as it's only when you're around other friendly troops like a dev said would occur. And on top of that, do without the other stuff like "Oh damn I'm tired" and kill taunts, which you can hear in one of the more recently posted beta videos. Or at least make it so only the player hears them.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
The more I think about this, the more I don't really like it :) I'm obviously prepared to wait for the beta and experience it first-hand, but I'm really thinking they need a tweak.

Certainly cries of pain should be left alone. Maybe even the reloading ones - because reloading IS a loud exercise anyway. When it comes to the more "passive" and unimportant stuff like "I'm tired", I really don't think that fits well at all. Yes, they would say things like that - but NOT when they're sneaking up to flank or to surprise a sniper. It really isn't realistic, it's a life and death situation. Also, on the flip side I'm really not sure that I want to hear these complaints from my avatar, or indeed other players! :)

Reactions: Tweek
Upvote 0
Guys don't bandage your head before breaking it, let's play the game firstly then we ll provide for complaining

Indeed. Noone, and I suspect not even the devs, knows how this will play out on fully populated servers. That's why they are going to have the last beta round.

From the various previews it is clear that the sounds are actually very much part of the general atmosphere of the game, and I sure would miss having that while playing.

Upvote 0
CrisM1 said:
Guys don't bandage your head before breaking it, let's play the game firstly then we ll provide for complaining
Indeed. TWI stated that the system will perform atleast one check before it enables shouting. We do not know if there are more constraints than the number of friendly players around. If i would have to design such a system, I wouldn't just base it on the number of team members in a certain distance, but rather would also take a look at the distance to the nearest other group of friendlies and the distance to the nearest group of enemies. Also, it could be bound to the size of your group and if you were being shot at, making the condition "If you are together with up to two other comrades and there are enemies nearby OR you were not getting shot at during the last 15 seconds, you keep your mouth shut."
Given the fact that I am not a game developer, I think TWI managed to implement something that would be even better than this.
Besides, who said that batte chatter always has be to shouts? TWI could have also included normal chat as well as whispering (with volume choice being bound to something like "You are together with no more than two comrades, atleast X entities far away from the next group of comrades and there could be enemies nearby").
Wait for the Beta and see for yourself (or hope for a dev giving us more detail about the implementation).

Last edited:
Upvote 0