• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you play a RO2 expansion pack based on the Korean War?

It wouldn't need to be a major expansion anyway as most of the gear was WW2 and already in RO2 or RS.

Just new uniforms for two or three armies, one of two new weapons for each, maybe a few more. US Tanks might need to come in if RS has not already. Then a few new maps.

Ok yeah its a major expansion !

Oh and you need to incorporate MASH units. I am playing Hawkeye and my objective is to bed Hot Lips or any nurse in the area !

Upvote 0
We were promised more tanks and vehicles. I will not pay extra for them.

Development time costs money. Since this game isn't based on a subscription model or a "freemium" model (like Team Fortress 2, where people pay to get many cosmetic improvements and some forms of better weaponry), they have to get more money to develop more assets somehow. Or are you one of those who joined the Left 4 Dead boycott?

I actually happened to be in Seoul when Tae Guk Gi was released. People were crying out loud in the theater.

And that's why I mentioned that film--the commercial success of that film shows just how the South Koreans like that kind of material. The rest of your post just goes to show how many rabid PC gamers there are in SK.

You mean desegregation.

That would require a few more models and voice sets to represent Black US soldiers. I wonder if the voice actors selected will have to emulate 1950s-vintage Ebonics for any black US soldier characters.

Honestly, I don't have much knowledge of the war itself and I am not interested much into it. That's one reason.

The first part of your post is one reason why my first suggested subtitle for this potential expansion pack was Forgotten Valour. And the community doesn't have to be split--most likely they'll let you play only the most basic kits and no vehicles in that pack via a patch until you pay for the full expansion pack itself.

Although, I might just be saying this cause I'm a Canadian, and the Battle of Kapyong is a big deal to some of us.

That would require a whole new faction to be made, because the Canadians (as well as other Commonwealth nations) used different weaponry and uniforms from the US forces--the American forces, along with their (non-winter) uniforms, equipment, and weaponry are already going to be in Rising Storm.

I would rather see this game improved or content added. With that said a Korean war game as a standalone game for sale could be something to retire on.

You can say that again. Given the bestselling films in South Korean about the Korean War, I'd predict that interest in a well-made game using the RO2 formula would do well too.

Maybe having Romi Park (an excellent Korean voice actress who is also fluent in Japanese) do the Korean- and Japanese-language trailer narrations would be great to build hype. It's not like we're going to get BoA Kwon (the "Queen of Korean Pop") do it for TWI--and besides, her voice in my experience doesn't have anywhere near the deep authority Park's does.

Few people know much about this war or even know how close the US came to being pushed out of Korea. As far as wars go tho it was mighty successful as the S Koreans fought for their freedom and appreciated the help we gave them. Look at them now a industrial powerhouse! and one of our greatest allies.

Yeah, the US media doesn't like to focus on its nation's military defeats or stalemates. But because the US didn't fight to win in the Korean War, the North Koreans have been stuck in their hellhole of a country for how many years now? Sometimes I wonder if the annihilated South Vietnam would be like South Korea now if things had been a little different.

As for a sequel (or expansion pack) the Vietnam War would be my preferred choice, though the Korean War would be nice to. While I like WWII, Germans and the battles in Europe has gotten a bit stale.

One reason why I suggested the Korean War is because I'm sure some users have been clamouring to haveSoviets vs. US matchups in custom maps after Rising Storm is released. With a Bloody 38th expansion pack, the North Koreans will be shooting at US/South Korean forces with Soviet Weaponry and they'll be shooting back with US weaponry just fine.

As it is, I don't think RO2 is attracting a strong enough player base. And I don't think more maps and weapons will retain many players just like the base game has failed to.

That's why I'd really like to see TWI try and tap the Korean market with a Bloody 38th expansion.

Upvote 0
Development time costs money. Since this game isn't based on a subscription model or a "freemium" model (like Team Fortress 2, where people pay to get many cosmetic improvements and some forms of better weaponry), they have to get more money to develop more assets somehow. Or are you one of those who joined the Left 4 Dead boycott?

While I understand the need for the TWI to make money, are you even familiar with how TWI handled map and content updates for ROOST and many of the non-character pack updates for Killing Floor? They were FREE. Add to that the fact that there are still missing features from the base game... to suggest the player base here is similar to that for L4D is a little wrong.

Anyway, I maintain my original position that if this is done, it be a community mod and not anything official by TWI.

Upvote 0
While I understand the need for the TWI to make money, are you even familiar with how TWI handled map and content updates for ROOST and many of the non-character pack updates for Killing Floor? They were FREE. Add to that the fact that there are still missing features from the base game... to suggest the player base here is similar to that for L4D is a little wrong.
I was just about to post the same thing. I suggest the answer to your question is 'no' but he just wanted to have a dig anyway. ;)

Upvote 0

Anyway, I maintain my original position that if this is done, it be a community mod and not anything official by TWI.
Plus they said pre-release that they'd add more assets in later.

Upvote 0
Its a good idea, although if they make it so you have to launch 3 separate execs to play each game it could really kill off the playerbase by splitting it 3 ways.

They just need to have it all in one server browser then let you filter by games/make games from Ro2 in red text, RS in blue and Korean War in white or something. That way its easy to hop seamlessly between servers and between expans.

Upvote 0
That's the funny thing; the TWI devs have to be paid hourly, and the hardcore audience isn't anywhere near large enough (and how many are really willing to routinely pay $60 for new games?) to sustain the amount of development time necessary to bring all the features they want, because this isn't a subscription- or micro-transation-based game. TWI needs new customers, whether of x-packs or DLC packs to survive and keep providing us with new content. A Korean War x-pack (which no one has ever done before) would be a great way to corner the market by taking on this as-yet undiscovered opportunity.

So they (TWI) don't have time to bring features (that have been completed to varying extents) to the game with their limited funds, yet have time to work on a Korean expansion pack that as far as we know, is only an idea at this time by some guys on the forum? Think about that for a moment, really think about it.

They still haven't gotten RS out and have some things to work on after that for ROHOS (their words). IF, if they were to take up another MOD after RS I imagine they would ask one of the other Mod teams such as IC first.

Upvote 0
That's the funny thing; the TWI devs have to be paid hourly, and the hardcore audience isn't anywhere near large enough (and how many are really willing to routinely pay $60 for new games?) to sustain the amount of development time necessary to bring all the features they want, because this isn't a subscription- or micro-transation-based game. TWI needs new customers, whether of x-packs or DLC packs to survive and keep providing us with new content. A Korean War x-pack (which no one has ever done before) would be a great way to corner the market by taking on this as-yet undiscovered opportunity.

The main game will have players for years to come, mods die out usually. Look at Ro 1, there are still players, while f.e. the nevertheless excellent mod Mare Nostrum is dead.
Most people, who bought HoS (and not just for 3 bucks, but at release) were attracted by the Stalingrad scenario. A new fancy mod will make nothing better, just waste resources for something, which will end up unfinished. So I prefer Tripwire and the community to improve the main game and not waste their time for other things. Personally I have no problem with dlc's, if it will finally bring in the content to the main game, which is the most anticipated by the community.

So they (TWI) don't have time to bring features (that have been completed to varying extents) to the game with their limited funds, yet have time to work on a Korean expansion pack that as far as we know, is only an idea at this time by some guys on the forum? Think about that for a moment, really think about it.

They still haven't gotten RS out and have some things to work on after that for ROHOS (their words). IF, if they were to take up another MOD after RS I imagine they would ask one of the other Mod teams such as IC first.

Seconded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its a good idea, although if they make it so you have to launch 3 separate execs to play each game it could really kill off the playerbase by splitting it 3 ways.

Here's how that could be addressed. Just issue a large patch for those who don't have all three packs, so that when they try to enter a multiplayer match containing an RO2 game they haven't actually purchased, they are stuck with the Rifleman kit, can't level anything, can't pick up any weapons outside of those assigned to the rifle kit they're playing on, and can't use vehicles. That should provide incentive to buy the full versions.

First, I did not give a specific timeline I expected TWI to put out a Korean War expansion pack. They can do it after RS' release and the completion of the promised HoS content. And the fact remains that they're short on funds and personnel compared to AAA studios with millions of customers (or suckers, if you prefer). If/when the promised vehicles and other content arises for HoS, would you buy it as DLC if it was in the game but required you to pay to access it? Or would that trigger a mass boycott by the users of this forum, even if TWI needs the funds to stay in business? The need to expand to new markets and new customers remains, and because of how limited the PC audience is compared to the console-gaming audience (not to mention sky-high PC gaming piracy rates), every sale counts.

[QUOTE=Ragnar

Upvote 0
First, I did not give a specific timeline I expected TWI to put out a Korean War expansion pack. They can do it after RS' release and the completion of the promised HoS content. And the fact remains that they're short on funds and personnel compared to AAA studios with millions of customers (or suckers, if you prefer). If/when the promised vehicles and other content arises for HoS, would you buy it as DLC if it was in the game but required you to pay to access it? Or would that trigger a mass boycott by the users of this forum, even if TWI needs the funds to stay in business? The need to expand to new markets and new customers remains, and because of how limited the PC audience is compared to the console-gaming audience (not to mention sky-high PC gaming piracy rates), every sale counts.

Would I play it? Sure, especially if it was a community made mod. If it was a paid DLC or expansion, would I buy it? Don't know. I do know I would rather see other things expanded concerning the Eastern Front by TWI before something like this.

I think the point most of us were trying to make, is that this is best done as a community made Mod since TWI is busy right now. At some point they will be moving on and committing more resources for a new project/game and I just don't see how this could fit in.

Just trying to be realistic.

Upvote 0
Truly, RO2 needs FINISHED before I consider * any * expansion pack(s).

Amen.

The problem is it looks like TWI will not put much effort in "finishing" RO2. For them the game is finished.
They got their money and now want new money from RS. Thats were they put all their efforts in.
(And after that they will proberly start on working on RO3 or another new game)

RO2 is now 1,5 years old!

And did we get anything from TWI that was promised to us at release? No.

We did not get new vehicles. (thats now the job of the community) :(
The campain mode now avaliable was also released by the community and not TWI.
And all new maps we got are made by the community!

Last edited:
Upvote 0