• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you play a RO2 expansion pack based on the Korean War?

I actually happened to be in Seoul when Tae Guk Gi was released. People were crying out loud in the theater. One of the best cinematic experiences of my life. Me, my dad, and my best friend from childhood went to the DMZ. You can put coins into a little binocular machine and you can literally see North Korean snipers on top of guard towers in the distance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/annaandjosh/2871395217/

You have to disable the flash on your camera because it might be misinterpreted as a muzzle flair. That isn't my picture - but I did take one (I lost it though :(). I think the only reason I was allowed to was because some of the soldiers posted there were from New Jersey (where I'm from) and they were excited to see an American. Also, they double checked and made sure I had my flash off.

Also got to play in a Starcraft tournament with about 150 people on LAN. I got owned :D

I would love to see a Korean War mod. However, in the spirit of the posts I made in the WW1 mod thread, it would have to represent smaller conflicts. The large slaughter events like Incheon and Pork Chop Hill would make for crappy and unfun gameplay (ie: Normandy maps in DH - which a lot of people seemed to like because they love reliving Saving Private Ryan - but I thought they were complete crap). There should be maps that are indicative of the combat at the time, while still serving the purpose of providing fun gameplay. Listen to some interviews with US veterans - there was a lot of rifle firefights and bayoneting going on in Korea... but it's been downplayed and/or forgotten due to all the bomber runs, trench bloodbaths, and artillery barrages that played a more major part in the conflict.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Korea MOD

Korea MOD

Hello Everyone,
I am Jalay, we are 3 people working working on south korea and north korea war MOD. We will be announcing our official page and small trailer for of our MOD soon. We are working hard and as fast as we can! please keep patience, we wanted to announce the MOD with some screenshots but thought! I'd just say it now. For now this is it and next we will come back with some screenshots.

**We are hiring modelers to boost our progress. If anyone interest drop a mail on ([email protected])

Best Regards,
Jalay

Upvote 0
The question of this thread: Would you play a RO2 expansion pack based on the Korean War?
Yes, I would. I'd certainly try it, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't play it for long. Honestly, I don't have much knowledge of the war itself and I am not interested much into it. That's one reason.

The second reason was mentioned by Drecks already: Small community like RO 2 with several mods besides will only further lower the player numbers so I guess a Korean war mod will be very unpopular, no matter how good it is. Anybody remember Mare Nostrum? It suffered the same problem.
Now if the mod could be implemented in such a way that you can run the mod on the same server while running RO 2 and switch from Comissar's to (let's say) a Korean war mod map, well sure, that'll be interesting.

However, since Rising Storm is the official expansion and most likely will get included (I mean integrated so that servers can run HOS and RS at the same time), I doubt a community mod would get that benefit.

Considering that Rising Storm is already 3 years (approx.) into development, I am sure a Korean mod will take time. Still: Best of luck for your project.

Upvote 0
Hello Everyone,
I am Jalay, we are 3 people working working on south korea and north korea war MOD. We will be announcing our official page and small trailer for of our MOD soon. We are working hard and as fast as we can! please keep patience, we wanted to announce the MOD with some screenshots but thought! I'd just say it now. For now this is it and next we will come back with some screenshots.

**We are hiring modelers to boost our progress. If anyone interest drop a mail on ([email protected])

Best Regards,
Jalay

Looks like someone already started!

Upvote 0
I'd play it, gladly, it's probably one of the most neglecting periods of gaming.

The resources are going to be there, and even if its just a couple of one-off maps, we could see it implemented into server playlists, like rising storm is going to be. I can see some great defensive battles, and some smaller skirmishes being represented pretty well.

Although, I might just be saying this cause I'm a Canadian, and the Battle of Kapyong is a big deal to some of us. It's a bit of a pipe-dream to have them in a game, so playing a Korean War mod in general is close enough.

Upvote 0
I'd play it, gladly, it's probably one of the most neglecting periods of gaming.

The resources are going to be there, and even if its just a couple of one-off maps, we could see it implemented into server playlists, like rising storm is going to be. I can see some great defensive battles, and some smaller skirmishes being represented pretty well.

Although, I might just be saying this cause I'm a Canadian, and the Battle of Kapyong is a big deal to some of us. It's a bit of a pipe-dream to have them in a game, so playing a Korean War mod in general is close enough.

I'm in Korea atm and will be laying a wreath at the monument in the Kapyong Valley in the next week or so. What 3RAR and 2 PPCLI achieved in that battle was nothing short of miraculous.

Upvote 0
I would rather see this game improved or content added.With that said a Korean war game as a standalone game for sale could be something to retire on.That is if it had S Korea in it they are pretty much keeping Blizzard rolling in cash.With Wow and Starcraft im talking serious money here ....So as a business decision it would be smart.

Few people know much about this war or even know how close the US came to being pushed out of Korea.As far as wars go tho it was mighty successful as the S Koreans fought for their freedom and appreciated the help we gave them. Look at them now a industrial powerhouse! and one of our greatest allies.

Few people even know the series Mash was based in the Korean War its almost the forgotten war.

Upvote 0
Forgive me if I'm spreading misinformation, but I was lead to believe RS WILL be improving the base gameplay of RO2 substantially- that is why it is the Devs exclusive focus (kept very quiet) and will be integrated seamlessly into R02.

Without the improve core game worry, I'd love to bring the epic gunplay of RO2 to every human conflict imaginable.

Upvote 0
Forgive me if I'm spreading misinformation, but I was lead to believe RS WILL be improving the base gameplay of RO2 substantially- that is why it is the Devs exclusive focus (kept very quiet) and will be integrated seamlessly into R02.

I could be wrong, but I say its unlikely the base gameplay is going to change much if at all with RS. They may add a few things unique to the Pacific theatre, but anything else... no.

Upvote 0
As mentioned by others, I would rather have the core game fixed or changed. Though to be honest, given how old the game is right now, I would prefer if they started fresh and made an RO3. Doubt I would like how it turns out though.

As for a sequel (or expansion pack) the Vietnam War would be my preferred choice, though the Korean War would be nice to. While I like WWII, Germans and the battles in Europe has gotten a bit stale.

As it is, I don't think RO2 is attracting a strong enough player base. And I don't think more maps and weapons will retain many players just like the base game has failed to.

Upvote 0