• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you play a RO2 expansion pack based on the Korean War?

Yes of course! And can we have a poll added to this thread please?

Sorry, tried to do that when I started the thread and learned you can only do that "within 30 seconds of posting it.":(

I'm for anything that's new.

The Western Front has been done to death and the Eastern Front is already covered, as well as the Pacific Front now.... I'd like to see something different for a change.

You can say that again. You can look at wikipedia's list of WWII FPS games, and virtually all of them deal with the Western front. There are 34 titles, not counting the entries in the RO series. I'm sure there are plenty who want to see US vs Germany combat in the RO gameplay style, but it would just be another notch on this list.

I'm looking forward to the Karelian Front mod, Russians vs Finnish. I agree that a Korean War, and even a Japan vs China mod would be great. I was also thinking, that with RS coming out soon, and we have the player models and some decent terrain, I'm hoping for someone to make a few levels based off the Russian/Japanese skirmishes at Khalkhin Gol.

The problem with Russia vs. Finland is the vast disparity between the resources available to each side. How many players here like to play matches where the difference in technology and manpower is extreme? I'm sure there are players of the uneven matches in the Project Reality mod, but they will always be an extreme minority in FPS gaming.

China vs. Japan is even worse on the "technological differences" front, to the point some guys were charging the Japanese positions with lit pots of black powder. Granted, the Chinese invented the stuff first, but it was seriously outdated as an explosive by the 20th century.

At least the Korean War doesn't have so much of a technological disparity (the NK and Chinese forces didn't have standard-issue semi-automatic rifles, but they did have all the other Soviet goodness HoS players are familiar with like PPSh-41s and DP-28s), and it hasn't been done before either.

Upvote 0
I would rather pay for a Sino-Japanese war mod.

Every time I mention that theater people just say "LOL RAPE OF NANKING". What about the Battle of Shanghai? Or Xuzhou? Casualties on both sides were massive. The variety in the Chinese forces would be HUGE. You've got nationalist troops(most of whom wore German uniform, without German insignia of course), communist troops, various warlords etc etc. Not to mention the amount of weapons at their disposal. The Chinese used any weapons they could find.

Upvote 0
By the way:
The "North Korean" side consisted of

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
People's Republic of China
The Soviet Union

The "South Korean" side consisted of

Republic of Korea
Australia
Belgium
Canada
Colombia
Ethiopia
France
Greece
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Philippines
South Africa
Thailand
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Naval Support and Military Servicing/Repairs:
Japan

Medical staff:
Denmark
Italy
Norway
India
Sweden

^ There's a lot of beef for this kind of Mod to chew on.

It's be pretty cool if each map for the mod focused on a battle relating to each country (not just mostly focused on one or two countries)

Different battles, different weapons, different vehicles, different tactics.... each map change...

I think that'd be pretty epic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would rather pay for a Sino-Japanese war mod.

Every time I mention that theater people just say "LOL RAPE OF NANKING". What about the Battle of Shanghai? Or Xuzhou? Casualties on both sides were massive. The variety in the Chinese forces would be HUGE. You've got nationalist troops(most of whom wore German uniform, without German insignia of course), communist troops, various warlords etc etc. Not to mention the amount of weapons at their disposal. The Chinese used any weapons they could find.

Too much variety, actually. With so many warlords (Yen Hsi-shan and his locally-produced "Type 17"--a .45 ACP copy of the Mauser C96--backed up by locally-produced Thompson 1928 SMG clones, is probably the most famous given the Type 17's appearance in the Metal Gear Solid series) and the fact that China was split amongst the Nationalists (today reduced to a "rump state" on the island of Taiwan) and the Communists, you'd end up with too many sides with too many weapons to balance.

By comparison, both the NK and Chinese forces in the Korean War largely used Soviet-supplied weaponry, the models and animations for which have already been produced by TWI for HoS and can easily be ported over.

It's be pretty cool if each map for the mod focused on a battle relating to each country (not just mostly focused on one or two countries)

Different battles, different weapons, different vehicles, different tactics.

I think that'd be pretty epic.

I promoted the idea of an official TWI-developed expansion taking place in a Korean War setting precisely because they've created so many of the needed assets already (in both HoS and RS), which should ease the development process. Expanding into British Commonwealth nations and other UN nations would increase their workload. Mind you, I'd certainly like to see British Commonwealth forces (the Short-Magazine Lee Enfield Rifle in particular, since it held 10 rounds in its internal magazine and its bolt-action could be used in a rapid-fire "mad minute" fashion), but the best chance an official expansion would see the light would be if they made NK/Chinese vs. SK/USA maps first, as it would be the least risky/expensive option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, if indeed this expansion pack is made, here is one pop culture reference that needs to be in the game.

Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD - YouTube

A nice taunt for English-speaking player characters in the game to reference this movie would be "Stack 'em five feet high and use 'em for sandbags!"

Another would be to say this when an English-speaking character sees a comrade quickly killed "That's another who ain't gonna make it back to the MASH." to reference the M*A*S*H TV series.

Upvote 0
Would be awesome!
Well, One would definitely have to add more than just the 2 factions.

NK:
North Korea
China

SK:
South Korea
USA

That would be the obvious ones. Anything beyond that would make it too messy I think. And they should not be merged, but there should be different factions facing eachother on different maps, representing different battles and locations.

Upvote 0
I have to agree here... I'd love to see Korea, but RO2 and RS need polishing. The devs gotta put in more work and refine gameplay before going into something else.

And I hate to be nitpicky, but Tripwire basically killed the RO and RO-DH communities by not fixing some recent bugs. It literally went from a few hundred people playing, to nothing.

Upvote 0
its a good idea, although if they make it so you have to launch 3 separate execs to play each game it could really kill off the playerbase by splitting it 3 ways.

They just need to have it all in one server browser then let you filter by games/make games from ro2 in red text, rs in blue and korean war in white or something. That way its easy to hop seamlessly between servers and between expans.

this please!

Upvote 0
I have to agree here... I'd love to see Korea, but RO2 and RS need polishing. The devs gotta put in more work and refine gameplay before going into something else.

I too would love to see more fully-modelled vehicles in HoS. But my point about TWI needing more revenue to fund further development in this series still stands. Take a look again at the South Korean box office figures for the following Korean War movies:

Tae Guk Gi - Brotherhood of War: 64.8 million USD

71: Into the Fire: $20,629,645 USD

The Front Line: $20,629,645 USD

As I've said before, the South Koreans LOVE this stuff. If TWI would be the first to make a Korean-War centric expansion with the same standards of quality and similar gameplay mechanics that we've come to expect from TWI in its RO2 outings, then this hypothetical game would VERY likely be a bestseller there. All TWI needs is the will to get "a piece of the action."

With the money made off this they should be able to add all the bells and whistles to HoS and RS that the playerbase needs.

Upvote 0
Would be awesome!
Well, One would definitely have to add more than just the 2 factions.

NK:
North Korea
China

SK:
South Korea
USA

That would be the obvious ones. Anything beyond that would make it too messy I think. And they should not be merged, but there should be different factions facing eachother on different maps, representing different battles and locations.
What about Turkish forces , do you think that add them will be messy. Do you know korean war in detail?

Upvote 0