• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation WIP - SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"

Hi,

I am comming with some updates.
I have rebuilt some parts of model, so there are not too many new additions :(.
Model has now a little less than 4000 triangles.

Here are new wheel guards:

sdkfz_234_2_work_9.jpg

New exhausts:

sdkfz_234_2_work_8.jpg

And a new barrell. I have spent a lot of time modelling muzzle brake.

sdkfz_234_2_work_7.jpg

Next will be jerry-cans and under carriage. It is very complicated, and I don't know how much I can simplify it...

sdkfz_234_2_work_10.jpg

maybe you have any ideas???

Best regards,
sethodie

Upvote 0
:cool: One small criticism would be that you need to use smoothing groups to make the faces of the round parts (gun, wheels, turret, etc.) look smooth. I'm not sure what the function is called in MAX (in Maya it's Soften/Harden Normals) but it would really help the overall look of the model. :)

Thanks for post.

Rendering was done in Yafray via Blender. Blender has some problems with importing smoothing groups (you have to create them manualy once again), so I decided to render it without additional work :(

When I finish the model I will try to do it. Now, when I am adding new parts it will take too much time to set it every time I want to render model.

Best regards,
sethodie

Upvote 0
Thanks for post.

Rendering was done in Yafray via Blender. Blender has some problems with importing smoothing groups (you have to create them manualy once again), so I decided to render it without additional work :(

When I finish the model I will try to do it. Now, when I am adding new parts it will take too much time to set it every time I want to render model.

Yeah I kinda figured you would know about that. Don't worry about it until you're on the final version then. :)

Model has now a little less than 4000 triangles.

Next will be jerry-cans and under carriage. It is very complicated, and I don't know how much I can simplify it...

sdkfz_234_2_work_10.jpg

maybe you have any ideas???

Best regards,
sethodie

Most of this could be done with 3-5 sided cylinders and texturing. Since players will only see this from one side at a time (front or back) you don't have to make everything rounded (like you would for something like the main gun barrel). I would model the metal box in the center, 4 or 5 cylinders, and texture the rest. If you have more polys to spare maybe you could model the cylinder on the inside of the wheel but only for the front and back tires. Put more detail into just the front and back sides because players can't really see the inside part of the middle tires. 4000 polys still leaves you a lot of room to work with. :)

Upvote 0
Nice work, keep it up.

About the vehicles recon's purpose, it's too bad that such a tactic is hardly effective in RO, mostly because of the small maps. On Orel and Berezina recon tactics would work in I.C or clan play like Kabex said, but then again... maybe just attacking with the vehicle would be a lot more effective? Just look at how effective the BA-64, also a recon vehicle, is at drive-by satchelling...

Anyway, looking forward to see it skinned! Hopefully we get to see this in a custom map some time, that is if you will model the interior as well! :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

Here I go with the jerrycans.

Here is high poly version:

jerry-can_1.jpg

and this is low poly version:

jerry-can_2.jpg

I will work on them and maybe low poly will be simplified.
I have decided to use low poly version with my Puma.

sdkfz_234_2_work_11.jpg

and some details:

sdkfz_234_2_work_12.jpg

I have also added holes in the wheel guard.
Now model consists of 4500 triangles and I am worried if I can keep it under 6000 :(.

Best regards,
sethodie

Upvote 0
not quite buddy, look at the official tank diagram. It says panzer III L.... wilson said they put down the wrong gun info and it should say L/60

Maybe you should glasses
:mad: Damm it!:mad: It appears someone foc*ked:confused: up bigtime on the wikipedia RO "official list" list then (it says Panzer III J). Also on the Panzer III in game if it is the L then it has too much ammunition for the 50mm gun and 30mm rear armor instead of 50mm rear armor. Tripwire error? I wear contacts by the way.

Anyway Puma's looking good. Hope to see it soon:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have added light (becouse of its high poly count I have added only one) and some details to undercarriage. I have also remodeled wheels - 200 triangles spared :) Now I am remodeling some parts to spare more triangles.

Puma needs only coaxial machine gun in the turret, antenas and some non-obligatory details like spades etc.

sdkfz_234_2_work_13.jpg

sdkfz_234_2_work_14.jpg

Best regards,
sethodie

Upvote 0