• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation WIP - SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"

Odd Puma factoid...

Due to the weight of the turret and gun the vehicle's CG was much higher than normal for the 234 series. Because of this the recoil when the gun fired could tip it over when the turret was turned too far to the flanks. Puma crews were supposed to limit their engagement arc to a relatively narrow zone in front of or behind the vehicle.

The Puma was a great idea, basically a majorly overgunned high-speed armored car that could be used for hit-and-run ambush tactics. Unfortunately its effectiveness was severely limited due to its late entry into the war. By the time it was available the enemies it faced were pretty much invulnerable to the 50mm main gun.

Still, you can see its influence even today. Countries all over the world used wheeled armored cars with main guns of up to 105mm. For many they take the place of expensive, high-maintenance MBTs (Main Battle Tanks - Abrams, Challenger, LeClerc, Leopard, T-80, etc.) for heavy fire support. While no match for a true MBT they do provide significant firepower in a highly mobile package.

Upvote 0
the idea of scout armored car is not new and come before the second ww2.
the french had the amd178 with its 25mm (which would have been increased to 47mm in 1940.Late 1940, AMD201 should have replaced the amd178) but also the hungarian ([FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Csaba[/SIZE][/FONT] 39m).
Later in the war the brits (daimler -1940),the italian(ab41), the american(m8) and finally at the end the germans with their puma.

Upvote 0
The difference is the size of the main gun. Sure, there were AC's armed with 25mm and similar, and the 2lbr and 47mm. All were considered small caliber AT, even the 47mm (due to mediocre velocity and so-so penetration). The idea of putting a high-velocity, turreted tank main gun of medium to large bore on a wheeled chassis had been discussed, but never put into practical application before the Puma came along.

WWII pushed a lot of what had been theoretical weapons systems into general use. Some were more successful than others (just how many DD-tanks made it ashore on D-day?), while some laid the groundwork for weapons systems in use today. ATMs, guided missiles, precision guided bombs just to name a few. Infrared sighting equipment was being introduced at the end of the war. Radar had gone from huge, barely functional land-based monstrosities to highly effective sytems that could be mounted on airplanes and small warships by the end of the war. Jet propulsion had gone from experimental to fully realised combat use.

While the Puma may not have been the first armored car to mount more than a machinegun for main armament, it still stands out among its contemporaries for the sheer audacity of the design. Had it been introduced sooner, and with certain flaws addressed (namely the stability issue), it may have had a much more significant role as a hit-and-run raider. Just imagine a platoon of Pumas running loose behind the front lines in Russia, or in North Africa.

Oh, the mayhem they could have caused...

Upvote 0
:( i don't understand your post ...

Normally,
Most of the AT gun put on armored car are high-velocity shell (in the case of the amd178, the 47 mm puteaux is the L/53 version which was very powerfull - it 's not the 47 mm hotchkiss which is present on the somua or b1 bis - and 25 mm is considered to be just like the 50mm for their respective era).

Like puma, m8,ba 6 etc ... they are scout car and are not used for offensive but recognition. Their caliber is for their defense and even in some case they have been used as tank, their main task is the recognition.

Then i don't know if the design of the sdkfz 231 has been re-used for contemporan for other country. But at least france didn't and it's still the amd201 design which is used for amd and even amx and the vbc.
What is sure is that the 8 wheels of the puma give to him a good mobility but this capacity come from the the old sdkfz 231 which have certainly been choose over the sdkfz221 for its capacity to support heavy turret

Personnally i just feel that the puma is the too late counter-part of the other heavy scout armored car of ww2 and an other german beast made from german already done car to counter-strike its ennemy vehicules

Upvote 0
Sorry for not writing so long. Shame on me :( .

As DeV has written - I am now working with Carpathian Crosses Team.

I have got really busy December and haven't got to much time for hobby. Puma is now on hold. I have to finish some other projects before it could be completed, but I really want to make it.
I am not professional modeller and during past 4 months I have learned a lot about modelling, rendering, uv mapping etc. This will be very helpfull in finishing Puma. I am improving my knowledge and still in the game, but Puma has to wait :( .

Should've read this one then...

Upvote 0
dude wtf. That's not even a puma! If you're gonna model something, model the right vehicle!
THIS is a puma!
halo_warthog.jpg

god damn

Upvote 0