• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tweaking has to end NOW!

I agree completely with the OP, but the problem with a Gentleman's agreement is that the problem people are not gentlemen and would not agree.

Oh please, I only turn foliage off and watch people try and hide in the grass.

The sad point of this is that at a distance you can't hide in the grass, you would see the grass, but someone 70-100m. away would not because the graphics engine would remove the grass for them. You would just be laying in the dirt hiding behind nothing. Sad but true.

Upvote 0
The sad point of this is that at a distance you can't hide in the grass, you would see the grass, but someone 70-100m. away would not because the graphics engine would remove the grass for them. You would just be laying in the dirt hiding behind nothing. Sad but true.

Actually foilage is an option in the video settings. You can turn it off.

Upvote 0
You can only turn off the foliage in the map that the mapper allows you to. Some foliage is set to always on regardless up to the cull distance.

I see. Still wonder why it is even an option to begin with, though.

Yea, performance issues, I know. But as I have said earlier it is about the same as having an option to turn off walls, you know, because of performance issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually foilage is an option in the video settings. You can turn it off.

And that's basically my main problem with many maps. I have all graphics maxed out and I am unable to see somebody approx. 180meters away from me, simply because of the grass.

On the other hand, I am often laying in the grass for some time, both flanks covered (Axis spawn is in my back) and I am watching to the Russian spawn. No movement to be seen at all until I got shot from over 200 meters away. That's really annoying, but I refuse to low down graphics.

About the fog: I think that there is a trick with the fog. If you move slowly, you can sometimes see that the fog is disappearing and from certain angles, you can actually see through the smoke. Don't know how exactly it works but sometimes, especially when running into/around it, I can see that there are small alleys that allow you to watch through the smoke...

Whoever thinks that he has to exploit a computer game is a low life. As simple as that. It doesn't even disturb me since I couldn't care less. Probably I care about it as much as about stats and k/d ratios.

Cheating however is a problem.

Upvote 0
And that's basically my main problem with many maps. I have all graphics maxed out and I am unable to see somebody approx. 180meters away from me, simply because of the grass.

On the other hand, I am often laying in the grass for some time, both flanks covered (Axis spawn is in my back) and I am watching to the Russian spawn. No movement to be seen at all until I got shot from over 200 meters away. That's really annoying, but I refuse to low down graphics.

About the fog: I think that there is a trick with the fog. If you move slowly, you can sometimes see that the fog is disappearing and from certain angles, you can actually see through the smoke. Don't know how exactly it works but sometimes, especially when running into/around it, I can see that there are small alleys that allow you to watch through the smoke...

Whoever thinks that he has to exploit a computer game is a low life. As simple as that. It doesn't even disturb me since I couldn't care less. Probably I care about it as much as about stats and k/d ratios.

Cheating however is a problem.

I'm sure plenty of people probably disagree with the way Bohemia handled this issue, but I really think ArmA 2 has the best system to fairly simulate grass cover at long distances. Even if a person has the settings turned down so that grass is invisible, when looking at someone in the distance through a scope it will simulate grass cover by making it appear as though their body is almost partly buried in the ground. Rough, I know, but I honestly cannot think of any other way this could be handled so that it is even and fair for all players regardless of graphics settings.

Upvote 0
Setting the DoF setting to false in the ini disables almost all post processing. Colour correction and all that great stuff goes out of the window.

Which if you then adjust the brightness and gamma a bit to bring the lighting balance back, can make the game look better, rather than all washed out. Seriously, the game looks better without it.

And I dislike the foliage setting simply because it penalizes the prone person (Who is point-blank to the grass) while leaving them completely visible to the distant shooter (Who is far enough away that the grass doesn't render). The disparity at different, yet common ranges really make it fairly broken.

Upvote 0
Which if you then adjust the brightness and gamma a bit to bring the lighting balance back, can make the game look better, rather than all washed out. Seriously, the game looks better without it.

And I dislike the foliage setting simply because it penalizes the prone person (Who is point-blank to the grass) while leaving them completely visible to the distant shooter (Who is far enough away that the grass doesn't render). The disparity at different, yet common ranges really make it fairly broken.

Colour correcting is far more than simple contrast and brightness tweaking.

Upvote 0
Just stop *****ing about every little detail, and start enjoying the game your own way. The thing I like about this game is that it isn't always fair, just like in real life. Some maps are harder for one of both teams, and a rifle is almost never a match for a semi-auto. So what?

The thing is, those are gameplay mehanics, tweaking your game through ini files to look like utter garbage so that players pop up like fluorescent sticks aren't.

This is the console generation, they will complain about every single little thing that doesn't fit into their idea of how the game should be played. Soon enough they will try to force everyone to use the same mouse sens, because clearly, if some "pre-teen-cod-kiddie-noob-etc" lowers his sens, he will have much easier time aiming his long range shots. Cheat!!!11

To OP and co: why don't you actually try to set max gamma (type "gamma 5" in console in game) and play like that. Soon enough you will find out that it is nearly unplayable since you can barely see at long range and even nearby it can be hard to tell whether it is a player or a sack of potatoes, because you have very little contrast. Slightly darkish gamma is actually better for visibility, if your monitor isn't utterly terrible. ;) Oh and have fun using menus and minimap with gamma 5.

The gamma is the least of the problems. What I am talking about is the tweaking the graphical options through the INI files, so the enemy is brightly colored and incredibly easy to spot. There were plenty of videos showing how the game looks like and it how it gives a huge advantage over other players.

Upvote 0
Tweaking is a different form of cheating for me. Something like maxing out gamma to make a even the darkest spot look like in plain sunshine equals to the usage of a wallhack to me. I hide at a location that is dark enough so it won't reveal me standing there. If someone walks past this site, aims and kills me, if this happens once I might say this is luck and/or he saw my muzzleflash, BUT if this happens everytime even if I stand or crouch there silently as can be and get shot over and over again.

Perf Indicator icons on the screen will also give you away pretty quickly, which don't have any difference how light or dark an area is.

And how dark is that area really supposed to be? Pitch black as you think it should? Slightly lighter than pitch black?? Tell us what exactly is the right darkness to please you.

Some settings obviously allow you to see through smoke, which makes the later pretty useless. I'm not talking about mg gunners sweeping the smoke in the hope to catch someone. But if I have riflemen placing exact shots on lung, heart or head, it's far from being a lucky spray. (It's already ****in' awesome that AI is multihacking but I really don't need this from human enemies too.

Never seen any settings that let you see through smoke, and I've tried them all..... not to try and see through the smoke, but while optimizing my video settings.

Gamma is different to everyone here, but I can guarantee that no one needs max gamma and other things to have the game look normal. Max gamma is only used by filthy people who need advantages over other players but won't cheat due to a worldwide ban of their steam account.

I don't have my gamma anywhere near max, yet I can still see details in the darkest areas..... am I cheating?

Cry s'more.

As Ramm-J

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
What is more unfair and could as well be called cheating is people with high level playing against people with low level.

There should never have been a player progression system in the first place.

Hmmm, we are now going in that direction?

Please, leave the progression system out of the mix. After all, that's what Classic is all about. Allowing RO2 the right of way to appeal to more users/players via likes and dislikes can only lead to further support and enhancements.

Upvote 0
True at some point all players are on an unequal level because of a number of things, from internet connection speed, mouse settings, bigger monitors, to faster and better computers and everything in between. Those are things that you just have to accept and move on.

Its the intentional things such as cheating or purposefully using exploits that aren't right.

Upvote 0
The only right way to cheat...
Hardware SnipeAimBoot 1.00 - thats me in a RO1 :D

68804145.jpg

Upvote 0